Old 10th January 2014, 10:19 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Default Benefits Street

Have any other loonies,especially our Brummie contingent,seen it?Would love to hear your views.
Old 11th January 2014, 02:55 PM
UB40 Fan

Send a message via MSN to Niggy_Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondda rudie View Post
Have any other loonies,especially our Brummie contingent,seen it?Would love to hear your views.
Seems to me like a little propaganda to justify the benefit cuts :/

It doesn't show our great city in the best light but it does make me laugh
Old 11th January 2014, 09:42 PM
Über UBLoonie

Have not watched ....but think it is a horrendous idea ...apparently the people thought they were being filmed to show community spirit and now it has all been edited down to show them as fag smoking loungers...as above ...it is only to justify benefit cuts to the daily mail tory/UKIP voters .....

My view anyway........
Old 13th January 2014, 12:29 AM
Super Über UBloonie

Thanks both.I think the programme marks a definite downturn in the quality of Channel 4 documentaries.They used to make great shows like Dispatches and Cutting Edge.
Old 13th January 2014, 10:30 AM
UBloonie

I had too fit a boiler in one of those houses,done my work came out and my van had been stripped of everything other than the steering wheel,it is how it is full of thieving idiots.
Old 14th January 2014, 11:57 PM
Über UBLoonie

Watched it yesterday ...the bit about the Romanian workers ...it was quite horrific what they go through .....10 a week ...and live in fear ... And then they were worried as they had spoken to authorities ...i hope they all survive ...... From that aspect it did quite well to show that story ... they were not on benefits
Old 15th January 2014, 11:01 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephertiti View Post
Watched it yesterday ...the bit about the Romanian workers ...it was quite horrific what they go through .....10 a week ...and live in fear ... And then they were worried as they had spoken to authorities ...i hope they all survive ...... From that aspect it did quite well to show that story ... they were not on benefits
Yeah but what it did also show was that when the new Romanian's came in,the ones who were dealing with scrap they were pinching all the childrens bikes and selling them on,so what else are they pinching,and the others who moved to London looked happy enough.
Old 18th January 2014, 11:51 PM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstancer View Post
Yeah but what it did also show was that when the new Romanian's came in,the ones who were dealing with scrap they were pinching all the childrens bikes and selling them on,so what else are they pinching,and the others who moved to London looked happy enough.
Yes I saw that ....but on the other hand (quoting the words of the beautiful Duncan)

...if I watched this programme and I lived in any other country..... I would fix in my head that this was a typical street in Britain and stereotype all British people by the residents of this street ....and as the programme is edited to show only things which they know will get a reaction.....editing hours and hours of normal human life........
I would get a really warped view of British people ......
Old 19th January 2014, 12:28 AM
Über UBLoonie

I just wish they would do a similar programme about the people who are really filtering away millions ......

we could follow a street full of bankers or those company directors who are profiting from people's misery....

see them having private conversations about how much money they made on their ....Bingo debt websites....private health companies....."we will find you jobs companies" ....

we could edit it down to only showing the bits where they are
....making money
......laughing at the working class

It could be much more shocking than benefits street

But I guess they would be shocked at the very idea of letting cameras follow them about ......day in day out ......told that only the interesting "showing them at their worst" parts would be shown ......