Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 15th September 2009, 10:21 AM
UBloonie

Send a message via MSN to UBAnja40

We where at home and doing nothing,we saw it all on tv brrr
what a day!
And this 11 sept.was also a bad day but then in our own family.My 18 year old son has on that day for the first time an attack of epelepsy(the worst time in our lives).So i will never forget the 11 of sept!!

~~MY LOVE FOR UB40 IS TILL THE DAY I DIE~~

~~ Reggae music is the Key to my Heart,Reggae Music is My Stop and Start,From dusk to dawn,the Music's my High~~

xxAnjaxx
Old 15th September 2009, 09:38 PM
UBloonie

Was at work, one of the salesmen came up stairs and said a plane had crashed into one of the twin towers we got a radio just as we tuned into it the news came that a second plane had hit the other tower. Went down stairs to see it on tv and watch as footage taken by on lookers showed it happening. I also went to the 21st Birthday gig but my thoughts were with the victims and their families.

Something John and myself noticed in the following days that not only no planes in the sky for security reasons but there seemed to be no birds flying around, even here in England there was an strange silence.
Old 15th September 2009, 09:48 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thafonz
I was in Los Angeles and pretty much asleep and my phone would not stop ringing for nearly 20 minutes straight. It was a friend of mine in London who was a banker who was monitoring the news. I answered and got up to watch CNN and others.

A while later I remembered that one of my best friends in Boston had a business trip to NYC that week. He always stayed at the Marriott at the World Trade Center. In fact I had a trip to NYC in January of '01 and our trips overlapped and we both stayed there and met up with a lot of friends and lived it up. I remember walking around the concourse of the complex. He stayed at that hotel because he liked that most of the staff knew him by name.

As the day wore on I realized that he was in fact in New York and was staying at the Marriott. He called his mother after the first plane hit and an email to his girlfriend saying how loud the crash was and how the building shook.

Sadly that was the last he was heard from. Almost the entire hotel was evacuated except for a handful of guests and staff.

A few months later I had to deliver a eulogy back in Boston in a Baptist church filled with 500 people. I had to go last because we were best friends who went to college together, lived in same neighborhood, worked at the same company and our girlfriends grew up together. Clearly the most difficult thing I have ever had to do in my life by a long shot. The sun and palm trees of LA were a world's away from the reality of Boston, New York and D.C. I will never forget it.

He was a UB40 fan and we attended a show in the early 90's that we often talked about for years.

You can find his legacy site here - http://www.legacy.com/gb2/default.aspx?bookid=119113

My brother wrote a fitting tribute a few months later - http://www.umassmag.com/Winter_2002/...RUSTY_245.html

That's the most vivid story i have heard Fonz.
It's a real tragedy.
Old 15th September 2009, 10:04 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Send a message via MSN to ~JENNY~

Quote:
I was in Los Angeles and pretty much asleep and my phone would not stop ringing for nearly 20 minutes straight. It was a friend of mine in London who was a banker who was monitoring the news. I answered and got up to watch CNN and others.

A while later I remembered that one of my best friends in Boston had a business trip to NYC that week. He always stayed at the Marriott at the World Trade Center. In fact I had a trip to NYC in January of '01 and our trips overlapped and we both stayed there and met up with a lot of friends and lived it up. I remember walking around the concourse of the complex. He stayed at that hotel because he liked that most of the staff knew him by name.

As the day wore on I realized that he was in fact in New York and was staying at the Marriott. He called his mother after the first plane hit and an email to his girlfriend saying how loud the crash was and how the building shook.

Sadly that was the last he was heard from. Almost the entire hotel was evacuated except for a handful of guests and staff.

A few months later I had to deliver a eulogy back in Boston in a Baptist church filled with 500 people. I had to go last because we were best friends who went to college together, lived in same neighborhood, worked at the same company and our girlfriends grew up together. Clearly the most difficult thing I have ever had to do in my life by a long shot. The sun and palm trees of LA were a world's away from the reality of Boston, New York and D.C. I will never forget it.

He was a UB40 fan and we attended a show in the early 90's that we often talked about for years.

You can find his legacy site here - http://www.legacy.com/gb2/default.aspx?bookid=119113

My brother wrote a fitting tribute a few months later - http://www.umassmag.com/Winter_2002/...RUSTY_245.html
Old 15th September 2009, 10:20 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:

So sorry you lost your friend that day
One of many sad sad story's.
Old 15th September 2009, 10:53 PM
UBloonie

Quote:

So very, very sad. I am sorry for your loss Fonz xx

Was going to say what I was doing, but it pales into insignificance, compared to what you have gone through...............

I hope that the memory of your friend keeps you going..........

So many sad stories x

Geraldine
Old 15th September 2009, 11:19 PM
UB40 Fan

i wash driving home from work
at home i put on CNN
and when the towers collapsed I started to cry and screamed
all dose people
Old 16th September 2009, 12:12 AM
UB40 Fan

I woke and turned the TV on just after the first plane hit. The President was on and I said to myself what is the wind bag talking about now!! then they went to the towers. My mother was staying with me at the time, I woke her but couldn't talk...just cried. I had to be to work at 8 but got there around 9. My boss gave me crap for being late!
Old 16th September 2009, 01:04 AM
UB40 Fan

Send a message via Yahoo to dublove
Default Where were you on 9/11?

Was working in Manhattan, about a mile away from the site. We heard reports of a plane hitting one of the towers, but though it was a little twin engine, or something to that effect. Then we started hearing a lot of commotion over the river and people started streaming out of the office buildings all around us. My coworker and I walked out of the office, to see what all the commotion was about. We went up to the roof of our office building and unfortunately, we watched the second tower come down. The stench was horrible and lasted for months. I wish that I had never gone up to that roof. That sight will never, ever leave me, as long as I live. Nobody was talking much in the office, what could we say? We were all in such shock and very worried for our elevator mechanics, who worked in 6 World Trade, and for ourselves. We lost one of our men in this horrendous tragedy.
I called my son's Dad to get him out of school, because we had heard reports that there was an uprising of sorts going on in Brooklyn.
I did not know how, or if I would get home that night. Subway service was sporadic, or nonexistent. Finally reached home at about 1:00 am.
The next few months were filled with funeral services for my firefighter friends who lost their lives in the towers. God Bless them and their wives, fiances, children that they left behind.
I was glad to hear that UB40 went on with the 25th Anniversary show and very touched when they had a moment of silence for all of the victims.
We are all victims of this nightmare.
Thanks for remembering.