Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 10th September 2009, 11:25 AM
UB40 Fan

Took the all nighter flight from Honolulu to San Francisco, enroute to London for the 21st anniversary concert. Can’t remember how long a stopover I was supposed to have, but I fell asleep and a couple hours later noticed that the TVs were all on and very loud. Everyone at the airport was watching what was happening.

I never got to England and was stuck in San Francisco for 5 days before I could go back home to Honolulu.

jay.
Old 10th September 2009, 11:45 AM
Über UBLoonie

We were having an extension built at the time and I just happened to turn the telly on while I made the builders a cuppa.

I called the builders down from the top of the roof and everyone stopped and watched in utter shock as the horrifying scenes unfolded.

C
We won`t run and we won`t hide
Old 10th September 2009, 11:54 AM
UBloonie

I was home and saw it on the telly and like many thought at first it was a movie................. How wrong we all were.

I'm sure I was all packed getting ready to leave for UB40's 21st Bday party

Peace...........Love..............Respect......... CFC
Old 10th September 2009, 12:37 PM
Über UBLoonie

Send a message via MSN to jenthered Send a message via Yahoo to jenthered

on my way home from shopping for my daughter's 4th birthday when dj on the radio said there had been an accident on a building site it was only when i got home and had put the tv on for my daughter and she came into the kitchen and told me she didn't like the film i had put on because it was scary! i went through and flicked through the channels and realised it was live and i realised it was more then "just an accident"i was rooted to the spot unable to believe what i was seeing while trying to sheild my daughter from it.

even 8 years on i still can't believe what happened
Old 10th September 2009, 12:47 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Working from home.........

Couldnt believe my eyes
Old 10th September 2009, 01:34 PM
UBloonie

I remember it like it was yesterday, unfortunately. I was awakened by my cousin Lawana and her husband Jeanty, as they were knocking at my door. I answered the door and my cousin said to me "have you seen what happened in New York?" and i of course had been asleep so i said "nah what happened"....she told me and i was shocked....they came in the house and asked if they could use my phone because Jeanty's dad was supposed to be flying from Boston to LA that day....and as we all know, the flights that hit the World Trade Center were both going from Boston to LA....anyway, i turned on CNN as Lawana was using the phone and just literally a few seconds later, we saw the first tower collapse live on TV.....my heart just sunk deep inside...i couldn't believe it! It was literally like time stood still, it all seemed to happen in slow motion for me.....i was so shaken...and still afraid for Jeanty's dad...hoping he was ok. We finally got some relief when we found out that Jeanty's dad was scheduled for one of the later flights that day, so he wasn't on either of those planes that were hijacked, thank God.

It was just awful...it still brings a tear to my eye even today.

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 10th September 2009, 01:58 PM
UBloonie

It was such a sad day!

I was decorating my daughters bedroom and I popped downstairs for a quick bite to eat and turned the tv on! Couldn't believe what I was witnessing especially seeing the 2nd plane hit! Was just awful I feel very emotional just thinking about it
Old 10th September 2009, 02:02 PM
Über UBLoonie

I was at work......everyone was talking about what had happened.... but there were no tv's in the office....so I didn't really understand what had actually happened until I got home and switched the news on....I had just thought it was an accicdent and a light airplane had hit.....couldn't beleive what I was seeing such an awful thing to happen....so so sad....even now I saw that documentry 102 minutes the other day too....
Old 10th September 2009, 02:54 PM
UB40 Fan

I was working nights at the time & woke up to see the shocking events unfold on the tv. That night at work we were all talking about it until this young girl called Helen interrupted us by saying "Have you heard Kylie's new single 'Can't get you out of my head'?"
She has got to have been the only person in the world who hadn't heard what had happened lol. It did make us giggle though as she was very much a stereotypical blonde. (no offense to all the blondes out there)
Old 10th September 2009, 02:58 PM
UB40 Band Member

On stage at the NEC rehearsing for the 21st anniversary show with Lady Saw, Robert Palmer, sly & robbie...Central TV were filming us when we all got called to the catering to see it happening on TV...