Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 10th September 2009, 06:10 AM
UBloonie

Default Where were you on that day 8 years ago?

Sept 11 2001?

(I thought maybe something different from a memorial thread, apologies in advance for putting it here.)

I was at home. I'd woken up later than usual after being at a friend's the night before.

I switched the tv at 2pm on and immediately thought it was a movie and I turned the set off. It wasn't until teatime that I realised what had happened!

My memories of that event and the immediate aftermath of the following few days was that it felt surreal and I felt angry.
Old 10th September 2009, 06:49 AM
UB40 Fan

I was temping at Pickfords (the most boring place in the world to work) and someone came up the Directors Suite and told us what was happening. We turned the TV on in the Boardroom and sat there in stunned silence. I also remember the eerie silence of the fact that the phones did not ring for hours ... people everywhere just too shocked at what had happened. I also watched the documentary on Channel 4 the other night about the voicemail messages people in the tower etc left to their loved ones ...... so emotional.
Old 10th September 2009, 06:52 AM
Super Über UBloonie

Was at work, we all stood in front of a TV without saying a word just couldn't believe it.
Old 10th September 2009, 07:35 AM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by loekie
Was at work, we all stood in front of a TV without saying a word just couldn't believe it.
Same here,it was like something out of a movie that you couldn't quite believe we were all stunned...then in front of our eyes live on tv the 2nd plane hit

http://www.freegarytyler.com/
Old 10th September 2009, 07:52 AM
UBloonie

I also have to add that the way my city (Bradford) responded to the event is something I am proud of. Of course, there was the inevitable anti muslim (i.e Asian muslim) reaction around, with many individuals. I'm sure it was there in the school playgrounds and some workplaces. But as a whole, everybody got on with life- and continued to get on with each other- because everyone was equally shocked.

There's a lot heard about the divisions where I live and sadly a lot of it is true. There's also a lot of harmony. I'm not one to usually do 'civic pride' stuff but looking back, I have to say we showed that we aren't going to allow these events to create rifts and conflicts between us.
Old 10th September 2009, 08:14 AM
Extra Super Über UBLoonie

Send a message via MSN to Waltjo

Horrifying to watch those planes, I couldn't believe it I was working for a friend of mine, stuck to the telly I think the thing that stuck in my mind was the recordings of the people in the other plane, can't remember where that one was heading, they managed to crash it somewhere, they were so brave and knew what was happening

~THE GEMINI DEFECTIVES - DON'T COME TO US FOR ADVICE!!!!~
Old 10th September 2009, 08:25 AM
UBloonie

I was preparing my trip to Brum for the 21st birthday show... second time flying... which i didn't really like to begin with, but after i saw the crashes i really didn't want to fly at all anymore. But, went after all, darned if i'm going to live my life in fear because of what THEY might do... but it was a sad sad day, saw a documentary yesterday '102 minutes' and after all these years it still brought tears to my eyes...

You've cat to be kitten me right?
Old 10th September 2009, 08:26 AM
Über UBLoonie

Send a message via ICQ to Skirge, The Chef Send a message via MSN to Skirge, The Chef

At home waiting for our mew TV to arrive, bloke called to read electirc meter told about the horrific events.
Old 10th September 2009, 08:39 AM
Super Über UBloonie

At work in a meeting when the first plane crashed, just coming out of the meeting to see the second plane. We all sat at our desks shellshocked while trying to contact friends/relatives in the Big Apple. Thankfully all our kith and kin were safe.
Old 10th September 2009, 08:53 AM
Super Über UBloonie

Send a message via MSN to Helena

was buying a new car that day. was about to go and pick it up and saw on the news. it had literally only just happened and it was at first thought it was just a tragic accident. went to get my car and got home and realised what had happened.