Old 23rd February 2014, 01:38 PM
UB40 Fan

Send a message via ICQ to aranamit

do you think it was the wrong gig for ali to have performed at? maybe needs to be more selective and not just take a gig for the revenue ??

9ice, brandy, paul play seem to be modern rnb sounding artists ... whereas ub40/ali are another genre ... maybe the crowd didnt appreciate a reggae band .... just a thought .... may be different if it was a pure ub40 gig?

i saw him perform at the o2 and he sounded good in December (band were not as good as ub40) but his vocals were better than Duncans ...

conclusion - ub40 = the same 8 guys from back in the day ....
Old 23rd February 2014, 01:40 PM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post
Yes anant. I saw that, revue too. They said the performance was good, but they didn't connect with the crowd. Aldi uses good musicians,, so the sound ought to be good, they're not amateurs. But, knowing how starved Nigeria is international acts, the Gig ought to have been triumph.

The last time ub40 played in Africa was the Ugandan show, which was the last time aldi performed with ub40 before he left. It was a fantastic show (even though aldi had tuning problems), it was massively over sold, they expected 20,000 but30,000 turned up. And the crowd went wild. We were worried people might get hurt as they lurched violently from side to side dancing wildly. It's a miracle nobody was crushed. At the end of the show aldi turned to one of the band and said "it'll be shopping malls from now on for you lot". And we never saw him again.

Aldi and bad revues seem to come hand in hand.

His first show without the band, at the Albert hall, had a terrible revue. I remember one quote said "sly and Robbie looked like they wished they were somewhere else".

Not long after that there was a stinker of a revue of a gig of his in Israel. Saying the crowd got restless because he played too many unknown tracks, which was his own solo stuff. This was when he started putting all those LOL tracks back in his set, and dropping his own stuff. Then the name change to Ali shambles ub40.

More recently I saw a revue of a gig in the Caribbean somewhere where the crowd were booing and slow hand clapping.

Now these Nigerian revues.

And this is supposed to be protecting the bands heritage ?????

Cheers for the reply Jim. I seem to remember you saying at the last gig he also said to Normie "I'll make 10x what you ****ers earn?"

I feel it is damaging to the band's legacy even if he were giving GOOD performances. Because he has created this divide. People think they're seeing UB40 when in fact they're seeing three former members and session musicians. So even if the performance is good, the fact is that it is NOT UB40 and they are peforming LOL hits + non UB material. Misleading the public, but nothing that we haven't said before on this board.

It took me 3 seconds and I managed to find the review of what you were talking about:

Ali Campbell, Royal Albert Hall, London | Music | The Guardian

It is indeed very critical.

My main point in my posts above though was that I was trying to be as objective and as fair as possible. I am not addressing the immorality of stealing the name or anything like that. Only the musical performance. One review was critical, the other called it an "impressive delivery", but both were agreeing on the very same point: they failed to win the crowd over. And surely that is the most important goal of a live band? To make sure the audience enjoys the show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aranamit View Post

i saw him perform at the o2 and he sounded good in December (band were not as good as ub40) but his vocals were better than Duncans ...
I haven't seen a lot of videos of him performing live, but I would take Duncan every time over this kind of performance:

Last edited by DreamBig; 23rd February 2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 23rd February 2014, 01:45 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamBig View Post
However, let me put forward this argument:

UB40 got just a little love at Classic FM?s Valentine Concert | Nigerian Entertainment Today - Nigeria's Number 1 Entertainment Daily

We have two different reviews. Both say that fans left during the imposters' performance.

However, one was critical of the performance, while the other called it an "impressive delivery". Why should we believe one over the other. It is perhaps easier to believe that the performance was poor, because that would also help to explain why fans left. However, I hold that it is unfair to do so.

I see what you are doing anant. And your right. Why should we believe one revue over the other ? But the fact that he didn't connect with the audience is the main point here. A good gig is about more than just technical proficiency. That's the easy part, you just make sure you use good musicians. If a good sound and good playing was enough to hold a crowd then you might as well just put on a record, which is perfect every time. But it isn't enough. I've seen loads of bands with great musicians, but they were boring and the audience stayed in their seats. It takes more than just good musicians to make a good gig. But these things are unquantifiable, like "chemistry" and performance, it's the frisson of watching something happening live in front of you. The interplay between band and audience. If you don't have those things then all the good musicianship in the world won't compensate.

My over-all take on it is this.

Aldi never enjoyed playing live. In thirty years I don't remember him even ONCE come off stage saying it was a great gig. He hated every minute of it. He struggled with his voice all the time, and he never really managed to get comfortable on stage. If records still made money I'm convinced that he wouldn't bother touring. So I'm not overly surprised that he struggles now.
Old 23rd February 2014, 01:47 PM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
I see what you are doing anant. And your right. Why should we believe one revue over the other ? But the fact that he didn't connect with the audience is the main point here. A good gig is about more than just technical proficiency. That's the easy part, you just make sure you use good musicians. If a good sound and good playing was enough to hold a crowd then you might as well just put on a record, which is perfect every time. But it isn't enough. I've seen loads of bands with great musicians, but they were boring and the audience stayed in their seats. It takes more than just good musicians to make a good gig. But these things are unquantifiable, like "chemistry" and performance, it's the frisson of watching something happening live in front of you. The interplay between band and audience. If you don't have those things then all the good musicianship in the world won't compensate.
You are just a little late to the party buddy. I replied above, and said exactly what you just said The point of a live performance is to make sure the audience enjoys the show.

100% agree
Old 23rd February 2014, 01:49 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondda rudie View Post
And don't forget someone called Big Yin who came on here to complain about how he felt ripped off after witnessing a lucklusture performance from Ali in Spain that was billed as UB40.
Yep, that's another one Tom. There's an obvious pattern here.
Old 23rd February 2014, 01:49 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aranamit View Post
do you think it was the wrong gig for ali to have performed at? maybe needs to be more selective and not just take a gig for the revenue ??

9ice, brandy, paul play seem to be modern rnb sounding artists ... whereas ub40/ali are another genre ... maybe the crowd didnt appreciate a reggae band .... just a thought .... may be different if it was a pure ub40 gig?

conclusion - ub40 = the same 8 guys from back in the day ....
However good Ali sounds,and he's still a great singer,it can't have escaped your notice that,apart from festivals,Ali is now reduced to playing one UK gig per year.That's why he's now trying to con people by using the UB40 name.
Old 23rd February 2014, 01:51 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamBig View Post
You are just a little late to the party buddy. I replied above, and said exactly what you just said The point of a live performance is to make sure the audience enjoys the show.

100% agree
Bit slow with this iPad anant.

Anyway. . . . . . .who the FK is "vanilla face" ???
Old 23rd February 2014, 01:55 PM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:

I had forgotten about that. Thanks for reminding me.

Shamelessly stolen from here:

Old 23rd February 2014, 01:58 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:

Didn't he do that rap record with the Queen riff on it.
Old 23rd February 2014, 01:59 PM
UB40 Band Member

This FKN iPad won't show links !!!

But from now on you can call me mister honkey