Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 21st January 2014, 10:42 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahmekya View Post
Respect Jim! Just one question...isn't it against the law what he is doing? Is there nothing that can be done? Looking forward to the tour and we're promoting the real UB's on the internet. XXX Cindy

I was just thinking the same. Surely it must be against copyright

Cheers
Russell

YOU KNOW WHEN YOU’VE BEEN TANGO’D

I am a Loonie once more!!!!!
Old 21st January 2014, 11:42 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamBig View Post
Thank you Jim for posting. It's obviously a tough time for the band at the moment.

But is it just me that thinks all this talk of 'founder members' is perhaps very trivial? I don't think it really matters at all who was a founder member and who wasn't. Going by what Jim says, technically yes, he is lying that it's the 3 'founder members' that are reforming.

But surely that lie pales in comparison to the fact that he's calling his website/facebook page the 'official site for UB40'? That to me is far more serious than whether or not they are founder members.

Yes, it is trivial, but that's what makes his lie so bad. He lied when there really was no need to....about a small thing! If a man lies about trivial things that are of no real importance, then what else will he lie to you about?

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 22nd January 2014, 12:01 AM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GefferyMorgan View Post
then what else will he lie to you about?
Well we know the answer to that, his very next lie was that his new band is the official UB40!
Old 22nd January 2014, 12:11 AM
UBloonie

Right. I think Jim's whole point is this...for those who haven't understood this whole argument: Ali didn't say that he, Mickey and Astro were three of the founding members of the original UB40. I think the band would have been fine with him claiming that, even if it was inaccurate. His new website UB40.org actually states in bold black letters for all to see, "THE THREE founding members of UB40...". So he was making an effort to deceive people to make them think that he, Astro and Mickey were the only original members of the band and that they retain all rights to the name UB40. This is not just bad memory on Ali's part and it's not just a misprint that was meant another way. It is blatant deception! It's his way of saying the current (and only) UB40, of which 5 of the original lineup remain, do not have the right to their own band name, but that Ali, Mickey and Astro have that right all to themselves. I think that's what Jimmy is trying to say....

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 22nd January 2014, 12:32 AM
Über UBLoonie

Ah, I completely understand what you're saying.

However, I still think the bigger issue is that he's claiming to be the official UB40. If he wasn't doing that, then the founder thing wouldn't be an issue at all.
Old 22nd January 2014, 12:44 AM
UBloonie

I see your point. I think we can all pretty much agree that Ali is the instigator in all of this. This sh*t would have died down years ago, if he didn't keep stirring the pot. So why some people want to point fingers at UB40 for defending themselves and their rights, is beyond me.

Old 22nd January 2014, 01:18 AM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GefferyMorgan View Post
I see your point. I think we can all pretty much agree that Ali is the instigator in all of this. This sh*t would have died down years ago, if he didn't keep stirring the pot. So why some people want to point fingers at UB40 for defending themselves and their rights, is beyond me.
I think that's because some people have a slightly twisted sense of right and wrong.

And it's true that the whole idea of "founder members" is redundant when we apply the democratic principle. When the line-up was finalized, and UB40 became a legal entity, it didn't matter who joined when. Everyone was treated equally no matter when they joined the band. No individual band member had any more power or financial reward than any other member. Whether they were there at the beginning or not, whether they wrote any songs or not, whether they spent endless hours in the studio working on the recordings or not, everyone was treated equally.

That was the philosophy that underpinned everything the band did.

It was only later that Ali decided he wanted a bigger share than everyone else and tried to hold the band to ransom to make us ditch our democratic principles.
Old 22nd January 2014, 01:24 AM
UBloonie

Thanks for clarifying it all, Jim. At any rate...how are things going for you and the real UB's these days? I understand the tour is looking good! Any plans for a new album or a dub album? (hint hint)

Old 22nd January 2014, 01:48 AM
UB40 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post
In fact, astro was not originally a member of the band when we recorded our first album, signing off. He features on the 12 inch disk which was recorded later at a different studio.
Probably splitting hair in an instance like this, but isn't Astro's first vocal the one on the "12 Bar" track on the original (Bob Lamb produced) Signing Off LP? His style is actually quite different there, somehow U-Roy-ish, I'd say.
Old 22nd January 2014, 09:42 AM
Über UBLoonie

solidarity x x and feel the pain of maintaining dignified silence .. I couldn't ....love and respect x x