Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 26th January 2008, 07:15 AM
UBloonie

Default ***AN OPEN MESSAGE TO UB40***

Whilst there are differences in opinion regarding Ali's split from UB40...i choose to write this.....

An open message to the 8 members of UB40....

This does not include Management....wives...fans...friends....extended cousins...dogs..cats...groupies...the tax man...accountants.....receptionists....etc.....jus t the 8 of you...

Just think about where you've all come from.....where you've all been together.....what you've all endured as brothers....

Remember those 'brotherhood rings' you all had ? A sign of 'we shall forever remain one unit'
I have known all of you for a very long time.....going back to Zimbabwe 1981.....and you have all made a huge impact on many people lives with your honesty and integrity.....and importantly, the humbleness about you....all 8 of you.

In the early days it was all about the band and what needed to be done....and it was done and always done professionally.....honestly and because you loved doing it together...
Sure......you also have other lives...you get married....you have kids..you make them comfortable..give them a good education....all very important things in life.
You grow older...but you stuck together...you voiced your opinions against governments and oppression in what you ALL do best...in song and music..

So, you grow even older...but the great music keeps coming.....and you keep defying the critics....
You play great shows...you sell-out your UK shows....you break attendence records in places like South Africa ...all after what? 28 years? And people who have grown up with you and your music are still saying "what a bunch of blokes...just listen to them...what great music....whens the next album coming out?"

So...we have our differences....like many would...but ....we forget where we've come from.....we forget that long road we've taken....

Many can say "this should have been done..or that...or it could have been done that way...or this......or why did they have to get involved"
There was a time when 8 of UB40 made decisions that 8 of UB40 would stand by...be it the right or the wrong one....
The band....and brotherhood has always been an equal one....rise and fall as 8 individuals from those very humble backgrounds in South Birmingham.You boys have done so many things the right way over the last 28 years.....
But...perhaps this one time you have'nt.....and if it was at all possible...and i strongly believe that it is......you can salvage it.

In life...we are faced with ups..downs..and sometimes...neither...
But in my life...when i've had to reflect on it and when i'm in need of help...the one thing that helps me, is getting back to basics....
remembering who i am..and what i am....and ten to one.....it always takes me back to my humble beginnings....it brings about peace...it settles the score...it makes me feel better....bygones become bygones.....and i feel i can forgive and forget.... and i always remember those around me...and i dont want to be apart from them

and with that....i'll include the following message you gave us all in 1994..

I said we friendship come first, the band did come second
And that's why I decided to put it in a song
So listen crowd of people and throw up unnu hands
If you love dem their style and you love dem pattern

Reggae music can't refuse it
So give us what we want and mek we gwan

I said yes crowd of people we come back again
I man Thriller E. And all me best best friends
I know most of dem from age eleven
And some of dem even before then
We travel the whole world, think it could never end
But don't get me wrong it a no big problem
'Cos reggae what we love and that's what we defend
And that there love that could a never end

Reggae music can't refuse it
So give us what we want and mek we gwan.

So let me get back to the subject of me friends
'Cos me respect and love love the whole of them.
And that there love that could a never end.
And now it is time to hail the whole of them
Me love me Mickey V. Him in a category.
Robin on guitar him just a nice up every bar.
Me love me Astro because him deh pon de go
Me love me Norman 'cos him a don gorgon
Me love me Ali C. with his golden voicee
Him nice up every dance nice up every party.
Me love me Brian T. Pon the saxophonee
Lawrence pon the bone, Martin him a hit the high c
Them bad pon their own or in a section of three
And that only leaves me and Jimmy
Jimmy a the drummer me a the Bassee
And that is the whole of UB40
Old 26th January 2008, 07:58 AM
UBloonie

wow reza,
u have said it all,i think people are angry rite now,
and yes alot are blamin ali,myself included,but im sure
in time it will get sorted,u no them all better than any1,
thanx for that
big love
paula
Old 26th January 2008, 08:02 AM
UBloonie

well said mate reza...........jsut down the street from me.......feel like calling u over man........from som rite ol ub40 choons and chat......sad man..........woke up this morning this morning with this rite ol pain in my chest.........sad
Old 26th January 2008, 08:04 AM
UBloonie

Send a message via AIM to kenji-ko

Hey Reza

That's what is all about! A true love-friendly story!
That cannot end like that! As i a said in a previous post, Time Will Tell.....Deep in my heart I know that there will a time of reunion and pacification....

Too early to re-animate the flame....let the wind blow and the birds always get back to basics and home!

Take care

ken
http://www.loscafres.com.ar/
Old 26th January 2008, 08:06 AM
Über UBLoonie

What a great post Reza,
I still can't really comment on any of this, I am so very sad about the whole situation, whatever the reasons and circumstances.

UB's have been the only constant in my life apart from my family and a couple of friends for the past 28 years. I am very lucky to have shared all of my adult life with our boys as we know them. Like many of us, they have helped us through many trials and tribulations, as well as sharing the good times.

I'm devistated by the events over the past two days. It doesn't matter that we knew all was not happy, it's been such a shock with the announcement.

The way things stand, there are no winners
Old 26th January 2008, 08:14 AM
UB40 Fan

Send a message via MSN to streppel

You said it right, Reza
Hope it all works out, and that they solve their problems and get bach where they belong on stage with all 8!!

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Album-WAMENV67- Picture's of UB40 28-11-07 Rotterdam Ahoy
Old 26th January 2008, 08:19 AM
UBloonie

Good post Reza....but me thinks it runs deeper than that..

DUB IT...
Old 26th January 2008, 08:39 AM
UBloonie

good post Reza!

I think you said exactly what we all are feeling very well.

Let's all hope Brian, Robin, Astro, Pikey...and everyone else in the band reads this!

You guys are our boys...we grew up listening to your music and we hate to see things like this happen. We want to see you solve this problem and move on to bigger and better things. Because it's what friends should do. You guys are the best of friends...come one...remember your roots. Remember your "Homegrown" lives and stick together through thick and thin.

stick by me
and i'll stick by you
stick by me
and i'll stick by you

my life on earth would be useless, can't you see?
If i didn't have you to stick by me
When you cry, i cry too
Stick by me and i'll stick by you

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 26th January 2008, 08:57 AM
UBloonie

Send a message via MSN to littlemrsali

[
Quote:
quote="Seahorse"]What a great post Reza,
I still can't really comment on any of this, I am so very sad about the whole situation, whatever the reasons and circumstances.

UB's have been the only constant in my life apart from my family and a couple of friends for the past 28 years. I am very lucky to have shared all of my adult life with our boys as we know them. Like many of us, they have helped us through many trials and tribulations, as well as sharing the good times.

I'm devistated by the events over the past two days. It doesn't matter that we knew all was not happy, it's been such a shock with the announcement.

The way things stand, there are no winners [/quote
] Well sais Gail, i feel the same, still not ready to comment further, so sad for both Ali and the Band
Old 26th January 2008, 08:59 AM
UBloonie

Perfectly put Reza i gotta say your words have reduced me to tears this morning

I hope with all my heart they can resolve their differences and become 8 (10) once again

Looking good Mr Fix It!
"I ..... love it when you smile"