Old 23rd August 2013, 10:50 AM
UBloonie

Default Marbella Magic...

As many of you know, I've been lucky enough to see UB40 play all over the world, and I've seen some some great shows over the years...
For some reason, Wednesdays gig in Marbella, Spain had something special about it that for me, puts it in the top 2/3 gigs I've ever been to...

Flew out at the crack of sparrows Wednesday morning and got to the hotel early afternoon. Met up with our friends Michael & Suzanne (Veuvey) for a few afternoon San Miguel's and did some chillaxing by the pool... might even have been joind by one or two of the band (no guessing who...?)

The gig was quite a way from the hotel so we ended up travelling over with the band, and a few other "new UB fans" who'd been recruited to to cause during the day. We we're all very well looked after and managed to get some lovely pre-gig backstage warm-up footage...

The gig itself was in a quarry, up in the hills with a temporary stadium seating a fair few thousand - it was a truly awesome setting that ultimately lead to the gig sounding acoustically fantastic!

So, it was the usual setlist (of late) with one exception from the forthcoming album (which, I'll come to in a sec) and the crowd absolutely loved it. You'll see from the below video that security made a pathetic attempt to make everybody sit-down which, lasted all of 30 seconds. You can see me on the front row in front of RBC. towards the end of "here I am" arguing the toss with the big numpty security dude, you'll notice BT chucking his two-penneth in too. I flatly refused to sit down, to the amusement of the band and the thousands of people behind me. Anyway, its wasn't long before RBC sorted the situation although later chants of "shoot the boss" i felt was a tad harsh lol lol.

Starlite. UB40 en concierto - YouTube

So then, this new song - apparently called "Easy Rider" all of a sudden (RBC?????) went down an absolute treat! I retreated towards the back of the stadia to film it (soon cometh the hour to see it) and it was just a great moment, you could see the enjoyment on the band members faces as the crowd swayed from side to side and started to sing along. I'm telling you now, if you've haven't got tickets, your friend's haven't got tickets, your neighbours haven't got tickets for this upcoming tour then bloody well get some cos its going to be as "cool as ice", if you'll excuse the pun. A little dicky bird tells me that, in addition to the new stuff, there's also going to be some songs played at the upcoming shows the we've not heard in a long time....wooooohhhooooo!!!

After the show, it was a pretty busy backstage with some lovely people including Steve Cradock (Ocean Colour Scene) and family. We then headed back to the hotel to continue the party and and before we knew it, Dunx had beaten me at pool (black ball game the jammy sod), BT had poured Champers almost everywhere but in the glasses and our group "karaoke" sin-a-long of "getting over the storm" numbers was rudely interrupted by the local Policia, quietly suggesting that we'd better quieten down or they'd be bother. Uncle Bri sorted it out and we agreed to turn the volume down a bit.

Spent most of yesterday round the pool with Mike and Suzanne before getting back in to Leeds/Bradford at about 11:30pm last night.

Anyway, a great time had by all! Thanks guys!

PS: If you ask BT nicely, he said he "might" let you all see some footage of the shenanigans which, i sent over to him this morning...

Cheers

Mantart Paul..

Last edited by hickpaul.96; 23rd August 2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 23rd August 2013, 11:03 AM
UBloonie

High 5 Mantart.......great review and good to see that one of the 'Tarts' are keeping the tradition going.

I am afraid I have to wait to see if there are any gigs this side of the water as canny make any of the other tour dates, so keeping fingers crossed.

Thanks Paul x

G
Old 23rd August 2013, 01:42 PM
UBloonie

Ok, I asked BT nicely for us all....

Here you go...and bare in mind that this is about 3am lol

UB40 Midnight Rider pre show - Marbella... - YouTube

UB40 Getting over the storm - Marbella - YouTube

UB40 If You Ever Have Forever - Marbella - YouTube

Thanks

Paul
Old 23rd August 2013, 02:13 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickpaul.96 View Post
Ok, I asked BT nicely for us all....

Here you go...and bare in mind that this is about 3am lol

UB40 Midnight Rider pre show - Marbella... - YouTube

UB40 Getting over the storm - Marbella - YouTube

UB40 If You Ever Have Forever - Marbella - YouTube

Thanks

Paul

nice one

oLdbOi
Old 23rd August 2013, 02:32 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Great read as usual Paul,many thanks.
Old 23rd August 2013, 02:37 PM
UBloonie

great stuff Paul, loved Getting Over The Storm with Robin joining in from the other side of the room, all sounding great
Old 23rd August 2013, 02:39 PM
Ubique Über UBloonie

Love the videos!!!!! What a treat to hear these songs in acapella and such a cosy and companionable setting Lucky ManTart!!
Old 23rd August 2013, 02:40 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ View Post
great stuff Paul, loved Getting Over The Storm with Robin joining in from the other side of the room, all sounding great
Alright D...

To be fair to RBC though...any excuse to get away from Pikey's ramblings and your gunna take it aren't you...lol

PS: you were a hot topic of conversation last week with Gordon and Sarah, somthing about "3 in a bed and the little one said" or something....

P
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego View Post
Love the videos!!!!! What a treat to hear these songs in acapella and such a cosy and companionable setting Lucky ManTart!!
Wasn't in Acapella,it was in Marbella.Can't you read?
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego View Post
You're right Fi, and if you listen really carefully, its not just me you can hear but some of the band too