Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 12th December 2013, 06:54 PM
UBloonie

Send a message via MSN to Burden of shame
Default Going back to 24/7 after a couple of years

I don't know what it was with this album, I played it to death upon it's release, and I really liked it, but something didn't feel right.

I'm not sure if it felt disjointed, being released post-Ali leaving, yet featuring Ali vocals, mixed with new tracks from Dunc, new DJs vox, and the Mail on Sunday giveaway... whatever it was, I put it away and left it alone for a good couple of years.

For some reason today I really wanted to listen to it's alll in the game. Then I let it play on random, mixing ends with beginnings (crossfade?) via Spotify.

It's a bloody good album, and for the first time, it feels like a proper album.

I'm sure it felt like a 'proper' album to you guys first time round, but just wanted to share this with you all.

Loving it!

Anyone else felt anything like this with 24/7 or any other UB album?

BOS
Old 12th December 2013, 07:16 PM
UBloonie

Lost & Found is one of my favourite UB tracks ever. I'd put it in my top 5, easily.
Old 12th December 2013, 08:20 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Warrior View Post
Lost & Found is one of my favourite UB tracks ever. I'd put it in my top 5, easily.
Damn good album.

Rainbow Nation, End Of War, Dance Until The Morning Light, I'll Be There are brilliant songs. All In The Game nice intro to Duncan.

Peace,
Bagga....
Old 12th December 2013, 09:22 PM
Super Über UBloonie

It's an album that deserved more credit than it received - for all too obvious reasons. I haven't played it in a while for no particular reason and it will have a blast or 2 over Xmas. It's chock full of strong tunes.
Old 12th December 2013, 10:17 PM
UBloonie

Love 24/7! There are some dark tunes and some light tunes on that one. Try listening to it and the original Dub Sessions back-to-back. It makes for a nice groovy time.

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 12th December 2013, 11:16 PM
UB40 Fan

Know what you mean, I recently listened to GM for first time in ages and enjoyed it. Re 24/7 I love "The Road". Everything about that song is brilliant, right from the intro to the fade out! Normans vocals have depth and passion and love the delay/echo on the last "waterless mile". Would love to hear more like this from Norman. BTW who's on backing vocals - can't tell if it's Ali or Robin but a wonderful harmony either way!

Signing in
Old 13th December 2013, 01:29 AM
UB40 Fan

The album is a bit disjointed so I can see how it can be off putting to some especially at first listen but personally, it's one of my favorites. I really like how diverse the album is and unlike any other ub40 album, it has every ub40 vocalist past and present leading a song at one point or another.

My favorites off the album are I'll Be Back, Instant Radical Change Of Perception, Rainbow Nation and The Road.
Old 13th December 2013, 03:18 AM
UB40 Fan

Send a message via MSN to Niggy_Dawg

One of my all time favourite reggae albums! not just UB40's but in general
Old 13th December 2013, 08:42 AM
UBloonie

24/7 is a great album. If it had been released in the 80'sit would have had a number of top 10 singles:

Lost and found
Rainbow Nation
End of war
Securing the peace
I'll be there

Regards Chronic
Old 13th December 2013, 09:35 AM
UBloonie

its one of my faves too, I remember the day it came out and rushed to the newsagents on the Sunday morning (I dont normally rush anywhere with a hangover at the weekend) to get myself a copy. I was surprised at how fresh it sounded and was instantly drawn to the brilliant lyrics of Instant radical, the deftness of touch and performance of the whole affair. I was instantly in love with The Road, I just get hairs stand up on the back of my neck when I hear that track, Norms mournful vocals, the great dubby echoes, the ghostly finish - just superb.
But I must say the track that blew me away the most and has become one of my all time favourite UB songs is Oh America. That track doesnt have the usual UB trademarks you would expect, but the stinging lyrics, the auto tune on Earls voice, the brilliant bassline and the toasting bits are jaw dropping. Imagine my surprise to find when I bought the full version there was more of it!!!. Love it

This album for me re cemented my love of the band after I must admit I had been astray for a couple of years - this and WYFF are the albums that brought me back in.

Im gonna listen to 24/7 today whilst Im doing my exercising biking - cheers for the thread I couldnt think what to listen too.