Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > General Anarchy

Old 28th January 2013, 06:49 PM
UBloonie

Default The situation in Mali

I'm pretty sickened by what's happening in Mali.

Most recently old historic manuscripts in the city of Timbuktu have been destroyed by Islamist militants. For those who might not know, Timbuktu was an important centre of learning in medieval times, where people from around the world came to study. An important part of the world's heritage has been destroyed.

Mali: French Troops Advance In Timbuktu - Yahoo! News UK

Recently music was banned in Mali. I don't believe this is about religious conquest any more than imperialism was truly about spreading Christianity. It's only about religion inasmuch as religion is being used as a front for the attack upon a people's culture.

Where this now goes I'm not sure.
Old 29th January 2013, 01:43 PM
Super Über UBloonie

A spokesman for the al Qaeda-linked militants has said the tombs were destroyed because they contravened Islam, encouraging Muslims to venerate saints instead of God.

Come on ain't you learn anything yet
If fundementalist muslims don't like sumit, GET SHUT destroy it, try burning the koran they'd be up in arms, then we'd get oh we're so hard do too, those nasty christians, I haven't heard any muslims shouting how sickened they are what there religious brothers have done ?

I'm with the French alteast they've got the balls to chuck the B's out, unlike the British who pander there bigoted beliefs ?

It's been going on for years
Old 29th January 2013, 03:05 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate13 View Post
A spokesman for the al Qaeda-linked militants has said the tombs were destroyed because they contravened Islam, encouraging Muslims to venerate saints instead of God.

Come on ain't you learn anything yet
If fundementalist muslims don't like sumit, GET SHUT destroy it, try burning the koran they'd be up in arms, then we'd get oh we're so hard do too, those nasty christians, I haven't heard any muslims shouting how sickened they are what there religious brothers have done ? I'm with the French alteast they've got the balls to chuck the B's out, unlike the British who pander there bigoted beliefs ?

It's been going on for years
You're right. I've also noticed very few voices of outrage from the Islamic community, in comparison with other issues; where some Muslims are concerned, there's definitely a double standard at work. Saying that, silence doesn't always mean connivance. Most Muslims in the West would absolutely hate to live under a fundamentalist regime, never mind anyone else (especially if music is outlawed!).

'Fundamentalists' - they're completely unable to coexist peacefully with others that who don't share their beliefs. It's the same in Iraq apparently.
Old 29th January 2013, 08:02 PM
UB40 Band Member

That's the problem with todays media. They give too much publicity to the nutters. It gives people the impression that they represent 'muslims' in some way.

I've heard people voice the criticism that moderate muslims sit on their hands. Where are the voices of condemnation ? they ask.

It's a bit like that famous philosophical question. If the tree falls in the forest, and there is no one to hear it, does it make a sound ??

The overwhelming majority of muslims, the moderates, are rightly unhappy with the extremists. It makes every day life very difficult them. But that doesn't sell newspapers. So their opinion is never heard.

It gives impressionable people the idea that moderates don't exist.
Old 29th January 2013, 08:44 PM
Über UBLoonie

I think calling them islamists is a misnomer

I think that the same chemistry which caused the riots in England where they broke shops and burned property .......
.......is the same as that causing the demos and mass destruction in Ireland against a flag being flown
........ is the same chemistry that get people to act in a mad way and tear down historic buildings or manuscripts....

I think that certain types of people are the same and they can act like animals when they get in packs.....

...and they always try to justify their actions......

But I think a lot of things ...it is tragic the devastatation these packs can cause

Don't know what the answer is......
Old 30th January 2013, 07:05 AM
UBloonie

Just needed to clarify a couple of things I wrote: Earlier I was referring to those muslim fundamentalists who often shout loudest about western imperialism but remain silent when the imperialist is 'Islamic'. Having said that, it wasn't my intention to also raise issues about the "burkha", "book burnings" "Mohammad cartoons" etc. I accept those are contentious issues for some and inevitably are raised whenever anything negative in relation to the religion hits the headlines. My main concern when I began the thread is that a people's heritage and way of life is under attack.

In reality, religions don't need to wantonly destroy other people to expand - not anymore, anyway. This is about imperialism and not religion. I also agree that 'Islamist' is one of those alarmist terms by irresponsible journalism, that just create division and mask what is really happening.

Last edited by Soul Adventurer; 30th January 2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 30th January 2013, 03:50 PM
UBloonie

Belgian MP Laurent Louis sees the French intervention as being disguised neocolonialism. He points out the hypocrisy of the intervention 'against Islamist terrorism' in Mali, belying the fact that the French govt and other Western powers have always propped up undemocratic Islamist rulers whenever it was lucrative and expedient for them to do so.

I must say I agree with him and I did have my suspicions when the reports from Mali first came through.

Old 2nd February 2013, 06:54 AM
UBloonie

A few days ago John Pilger wrote an interesting piece on the ongoing situation in Mali and its wider ramifications:

"A full-scale invasion of Africa is under way. The United States is deploying troops in 35 African countries, beginning with Libya, Sudan, Algeria and Niger. Reported by Associated Press on Christmas Day, this was missing from most Anglo-American media."

"The invasion has almost nothing to do with "Islamism", and almost everything to do with the acquisition of resources, notably minerals, and an accelerating rivalry with China. Unlike China, the US and its allies are prepared to use a degree of violence demonstrated in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen and Palestine. As in the cold war, a division of labour requires that western journalism and popular culture provide the cover of a holy war against a "menacing arc" of Islamic extremism..."

FULL ARTICLE:
The real invasion of Africa is not news and a licence to lie is Hollywood's gift
Old 2nd February 2013, 09:28 AM
Über UBLoonie

That was a good article enjoyed reading that
Old 2nd February 2013, 03:08 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephertiti View Post
That was a good article enjoyed reading that
No probs. Pilger's a great journalist; if only there were more.