Old 10th December 2009, 08:01 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by old loonie View Post
Just that Manchester dont really seem to feel the reggae, Brum and London its a wicked vibe, Toon has been good and Liverpool was also pretty good, just think the M.E.N has not got the atmosphere, maybe its me, i have not realy felt the vibe in that arena.
Cardiff was very good
Sorry OL.......got to disagree with those two statements. Have been to every single show that the UB's have done at the MEN and have always come out of there buzzin'. It is quite a big arena and this year was the first time I have ever seen the upper tier curtained off......there's usually quite a lot of people up there normally but not this year. I had always thought that the Apollo (the venue where the band used to play before the MEN) was way too small for them and the sound used to get distorted a bit sometimes so I was really pleased when they moved to the arena. Have to be honest though, I tend to think that the reduced attendance this year had more to do with the loss of the previous lead singer rather than the credit crunch........their loss at the end of the day because as far as I'm concerned we still have THE BAND we've always had for the last 30 years.......UB40. This myth that most people going to the shows won't even realise that there is a new lead singer is a load of bo**ox to me........I think almost all of those who decided to buy tickets for this tour were well aware of the situation.
Old 10th December 2009, 08:13 PM
UBloonie

Yep Manc is always a good venue to watch the great UB40 play

Nige

http://members2.boardhost.com/ubjams/
Old 10th December 2009, 08:21 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by old loonie View Post
Just seems that North of Brum they seem to prfer there Oasis kind of stuff, my opinion btw.
Knickers to that one OL.......I don't even like Oasis !! Ain't you ever heard of Northern Soul ??!!! I'm probably MUCH older than you are OL and if you'd have been around about 30/35 years ago most of the music scene in my area then (Bolton) was mainly soul and reggae. We even had a similar sort of thing going on as the guys did before they formed the band with regards to cellar parties. There was an area in Bolton just outside the town centre way back then that had a large west indian community living in large terraced house with cellars and I can remember going to many great parties there........oh great memories
Old 10th December 2009, 08:30 PM
Extra Super Über UBLoonie

Send a message via MSN to Waltjo

Who cares anyway as long as the gigs are not cancelled it must mean that they are viable for the promoters
The one time I went to Manchester was when the Stranglers were supporting and we had some gripes behind us that they only came to see them and that was with TLVO, nothing different there then was it?
We were up in the gods and it gave me the shakes being soooo high, but the vibes were great, good atmosphere
But Cardiff was great they really love the UBs there lol on par with Brum I would say

~THE GEMINI DEFECTIVES - DON'T COME TO US FOR ADVICE!!!!~
Old 10th December 2009, 09:43 PM
UB40 Band Member

If the slightly reduced audience were as a result of losing our singer then you would think a corresponding amount [about 10%] would have turned up at his shows. That wasn't the case. On his 'tour; TLVO probably played to less than 5,000. More like 2 or 3,000. That is much much lower than 10%. So, no Sal, I don't think you are correct when you say it was the reason. With much larger reductions being suffered industry wide, it all points to the credit crunch being the major factor. Also cramming 3 large arena shows in to a small area is something we don't usually do. So 18,000 split over 3 nights is a strong showing. If we hadn't booked too many nights in one place then 18,000 over two nights would mean selling out both venues.
The last few tours we did with TLVO had several venues that were not completely sold out. Which may have been another deciding factor when he chose to leave.
The way we can find out if a tour has been a success or not is to ask 'is it profitable?'. Using that criteria then this tour has definitely been successful.
Old 10th December 2009, 09:48 PM
Ubique Über UBloonie

One word for you then JB .... PRADA
Old 10th December 2009, 09:49 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Send a message via MSN to Helena

Worth mentioning as well that when the floor is standing it holds a hell of a lot more people when seated. Therefore the capacities for this tour are much bigger than they have been on previous tours.
Old 10th December 2009, 09:56 PM
UBloonie

I would have guestimated that there were about 12 - 14,000 at Manchester based on the fact that it holds about 21,000. As BT said the back section of seating was blocked off as was the top teir BUT the floor area (standing only) was packed out and so were the vast majority of the seats. When UB40 have played at some of the massive arenas in the past i'm sure the stages have been moved forward leaving less space but i could be wrong. In my likkle opinion I think it's amazing that they are not playing in town halls considering the lack of airplay, TV and media coverage they get! I understand the O2 is just about a sell out! anyway...everyone gets a bit too excited about the UK, reggae is not big here....UB40 continue to sell out in South Africa, USA, Argentina, Peru, Australia, NZ, Fiji, Holland, Germany etc..etc... not many can say that!

Cheers

Paul
Old 10th December 2009, 09:57 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego View Post
One word for you then JB .... PRADA

Fi, you don't think your the only female shouting 'PRADA!' at me do you. There are at least 5 I can think of within 100 feet.
Old 10th December 2009, 09:58 PM
Ubique Über UBloonie

So what's one more you cheap bstrd???

Tags
manchester