Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 30th June 2018, 03:28 AM
Über UBLoonie

Smile UB40 40th Anniversary Royal Albert Hall

Well …. Reclaiming this board which was always ours ……and a much better place to shout out reviews
Overwhelmed …and lost for words
Still dreamily smiling at the memories and that feeling and because it is a feeling, it makes me happy all over when I think about it….
I usually start at the beginning …but why dwell on the negative when feeling so upliftingly positive?
A lovely sunny late afternoon when we arrived and just got overwhelmed with the sea of faces each bringing back more memories of past gigs/friends with but had never met/faces from photos on the board whose jokes I had laughed at and reviews I had read …( starting with Michelle ….Starshine …the person who originally welcomed me on the BB board ) ….felt shy and giddy …so covered it up by screaming and charging at people …including JB who was out for a wee rest….

The Revolution
It was a wee bit of a guddle at the Arena entrance when we were all herded into a pen and advised (with shooing hand motions) to wander round the building aimlessly then come back and get tagged. As you can imagine, this did not go down well at all with well seasoned Loons. The grumpy security man kept shooing us saying the problem was that “women” had organised this and that all the “women” talking was giving him a headache…..He did finally understand when we kept shaking our heads and telling him (with larger hand swooping motions) that this strategy was neither fair nor logical on those people (SS) who had been waiting so as to secure a front row …The manager in a YSL suit and a sharp haircut was summoned …. and gave us all a vote to be locked in the pen and no one allowed in or out or go back out ………after which we were herded down the stair to another corridor near the toilets…re- tagged with neon yellow tags …. to wait…and burst out like a water stream jet up into …..

THE RAH
…..The hall Awesomely Stunning spinningly big big …… Us (the herded fans) forming an impenetrable fortress on the front row ….
KIOKO come out –Energy surge as soon as they walked on, a joy to watch the sashaying, rippling …new sound … Nouveau Rockblasted Afrojazzed Reggae ? Enjoyed …..
DJ Gold the delectable multi-coloured shirted came on and got everyone up and on a roll …now feel he is part of the family …he seems to understand what makes the crowd move …film found on YOU Tube .....

The ANNIVERSARY BOYS
…came in to a thunderous applause …vitality …filling the Royal Albert Hall. I keep repeating …it’s not a music gig – it’s a full theatrical show (Thanks to the crew !!!!) and even with me toning down the praise …every second is an eyefull of delight and every word out of the honey voiced (Delectable Dunc/ PeterPan Robin) Campbells an earful of pleasure.
The Brass Boys trio powered round the stage in flashes of pure gold sound Beautiful Brian, Martin the Magnificent and Prince Laurence added to that, Norman spiriting himself round the stage and Tony riding on the delight waves with Early B agilely falsettoing and the devilishly handsome master of the beats ( PayPal accepted) whipping every one into a frenzy…… words fail ….
Our surprise was all the guests – Paul Young looking fab and that song a stroke of genius on the album,
(Video courtesy of Nick van Tech)

the Slinger Gravy train song is catchy, and the Gilly G Norman Moonlight Love is beautiful

It’s quite difficult to describe what it’s like being surrounded by people you know and love wherever you look. I can’t imagine what it would be like on stage looking on to it or receiving it.....see Crowds singing along .....

But you deserve it all and more …..and not only that …there is more gigs….. and to top it all THE ALBUM #Forthemany …and 2019 dates …. We are the happiest !!!

Last edited by nephertiti; 2nd July 2018 at 01:14 AM. Reason: working out videos ,,,,
Old 30th June 2018, 03:31 AM
Über UBLoonie

EPILOGUE – After the Gig

Haether’s lovely sister and niece surprised her by coming to gig excited bejewelled (we only found out after as we ran away from a situation right after gig) as we had changed ticket seats last minute….
It was actually a lovely warm moonlit night ….we all sat loonie… chatting….. Thank you band and families for graciously & patiently sitting with us, posing , speaking to everyone afterwards – it was lovely chatting to you in the moonlight and walking you all to the buses …just a perfect ending ….

PROLOGUE & the Loonies
I usually start in the beginning, but the beginning which started when I found out that our first morning bought tickets were Grand Tier tickets ( RAH birds nest) altho these are indeed where the queen’s box is, …this is far fro ideal for the average UB40 passionista ……it was a long protracted agonising few month ( loonies helping strategizing kidnapping jumping over fence plans )
And so … (Bev take note of poshness), will focus on the positive……
The ticket saga (I had 4 by the time of the concert)…We walked in to the box office with Starshine … and someone had JUST handed in standing tickets and we exchanged for the stall ones

I handed the two expensive tickets, which the RAH would not take back into the box office to be collected by ….(Drum Roll) ….the boy who I had been in love with when I was 18 …who loved UB40 ….who I wrote to everyday for a year when we had to leave Africa after my father died …whose story I had written about when I first joined the BB …and who I phoned at my first UB40 concert to hear Red Red Wine ….who I had not met for 30 years …..who just happened to be in London getting treatment … living right next to the RAH ……( keep up)

More Positives ...

Getting out one’s chariot and seeing the seeing the Johnstons fae Scotland come round the corner Juliet/Stephen /Ronnie and Kirsty – you make me happy – good people
Michelle made it even though she had a swollen legs ….however the true trooper had put them in beautiful pink bejewelled sandals …big hugs ….

Ellen and Deano arrived safely after flight being cancelled, scooting on to an airport bus, purchasing ££££ Train tickets, then tube ….. I love them ….

Tom (my hero who gave me the loveliest hug I have ever had makes me feel content and fuzzy ) but just tongue tied …as with Saad ( who I was so happy to meet again, but get tongue tied …) Ashley ( you must have a T-shirt for every day of the month)
Linda whose face I watched drinking in everything and was inspired

A certain loonie helping me (you know who you are), when I nearly had a heart attack when the lady who was attacked in Aberdeen gig (my first and therefore nightmarish involvement in a physical fight) tapped my back at the RAH and said she had come all the way just to meet me again and say thank you)
Meeting twinkly eyed Georgina in person and hearing the historical secret and mission impossibles behind the name.
Susie H (original fan you looked great with the stylish hair) and friend Nick Van techie who helped sort out how to video in the last few minutes before the finale and who I persuaded to do the UB40 dances …..

Re-meeting Elaine & Dave fab people fae Wales and Elaine for helping with my phone  there are several phots of us peering over …Eamonn the quiet observer – a pleasure, Gerry and Caroline ( you looked gorgeous), BT painting naming Nods) and Sarah
Finally happily meeting in person meeting in person Anne Marie Nepz (I like your sense of humour/your posts – was a pleasure) Malti Bihari – what a lovely soft voice and nice person .. Caryn the Fabulous poster wielding Purple Bouncer, Sal …you are gorgeous but please convince hubby I dinnae fancy ya …I mean you are fanciable cause you are gorgeous….but …. Liz Cook…you are a legend – those glasses LOL….. Kathrine (one of original loonies who said she had not been for years, Dale and Sharon who I have also see in photos, Wayne (the last of the Celts), Bev with the posh accent , Lynnie whose enthusiasm inspires me, Julie (fingers crossed – we were hopin the excitement would help baba come forth), Val whose CRUK posts and cakes I always look out for ….
Sadly missed speaking to Shaz &Tik , CarolAnne Gerdy Janssen Paula Grispen Teresa McGill Kelvin Fortune
Missed Ya Marg PoetBoi and McThumb
Old 30th June 2018, 06:51 PM
UBloonie

what a superdeluxe review What a great time you had. I loved reading this. Thank you for sharing.
Old 1st July 2018, 10:37 PM
UB40 Fan

brilliant! going to read this every day this week!
Old 2nd July 2018, 01:15 AM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanie View Post
what a superdeluxe review What a great time you had. I loved reading this. Thank you for sharing.
Thank you fir reading Have added vidoes - took me hours to remember how to add - hopefully see you at some gig soon
Old 2nd July 2018, 01:16 AM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda C View Post
brilliant! going to read this every day this week!
Lovely to see you as always
Old 8th July 2018, 10:54 AM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephertiti View Post
Thank you fir reading Have added vidoes - took me hours to remember how to add - hopefully see you at some gig soon
I love your clips. thank you for sharing them.
Old 9th July 2018, 10:44 PM
UBloonie

What an absolutely wonderful review Farida....loved reading that. It truly was a memorable night. So glad I managed to get to speak to you outside the RAH after the gig.....you're a lovely lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephertiti View Post
EPILOGUE – After the Gig

Sal …you are gorgeous but please convince hubby I dinnae fancy ya …I mean you are fanciable cause you are gorgeous….but …. :
Just one thing Farida....I'm thinking maybe a trip to Specsavers might be a good idea for you?? . "Gorgeous"????? . I'm an old, wrinkly granny but thank you for the kind words young lady