Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 21st January 2014, 07:50 PM
UB40 Band Member

Default Founder members ? Really ??

Regular readers of this forum will know from experience that our ex singer can occasionally be a bit, er, "economical with the actuality". Or, in laymans terms, a bit of a bullshi::er.

So I thought I would post this in response to recent statements in the media suggesting that "three founder members" of UB40 were "reforming".

Over the years ub40 have made much of the fact that we all knew each other before we were a band. And it is absolutely right that 6 of the 8 members knew each other years before we even thought about putting a band together. Brian, Ali, earl and myself all went to the same school from the age of 12. The four of us would occasionally hang out at Normans house, which was a few hundred yards from the school. And regular stopovers at the Campbell's house offered an opportunity for these school kids to piss off Ali's older brother robin by messing with his stuff when he wasn't around.

After we left school the four school mates found themselves all living in bed sits in the Mosley- balsall Heath area of brum. This is where the idea of putting a band together was hatched.

The other two members, astro and mickey, came along much later. In fact, astro was not originally a member of the band when we recorded our first album, signing off. He features on the 12 inch disk which was recorded later at a different studio.

So, to sum up.

Of the 6 founder members who were mates before they became a band, only ONE is no longer with us. That's Ali. The rest of us just carried on after our singer decided to leave, and we replaced him with another school mate who was part of the gang. My old class mate (and brother of Ali and robin) DUNCAN CAMPBELL.

Which you must admit, has a certain symmetry about it.
Old 21st January 2014, 08:07 PM
UBloonie

keep the faith !!!! JB & chin up for all you UB'S looking forward to Dublin gig usually mental as we know.......
Old 21st January 2014, 08:31 PM
UBloonie

Thanks for clearing that up for those who didn't know. I know this must be a pain in the ass for the members of UB40 to have to keep rehashing things and running over the same old ground to put Ali's lies straight, when you'd rather just move on and make sweet sweet music. Just put your minds at rest and remember that liars will eventually be sussed out for all to see, so Ali's day is coming, and he sadly seems to be on course for a huge fall if he doesn't straighten up.

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 21st January 2014, 09:29 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by so here i am View Post
keep the faith !!!!
That's just what I said on facebook the other day......KTF !!!

Jim (and Martin).....most of us die hard fans on here are hearing you loud and clear and any insight you give us on subjects like this are greatly appreciated but do you not think it's time the "outside world" got to hear your side of the story?? The usual crowd on here already know most of the basics of what's been going on for the last 6 years and who the founder members actually are but not all the people who like UB40 come on this website so what they see in the media is what they take as fact. I think many of us probably wonder why you don't go to the press and give them your two penneth but then I'm no expert on the subject......your an experienced bunch of guys so only you know whether that's a good or bad idea. I'll shut up now then.....
Old 21st January 2014, 09:39 PM
Über UBLoonie

Thank you Jim for posting. It's obviously a tough time for the band at the moment.

But is it just me that thinks all this talk of 'founder members' is perhaps very trivial? I don't think it really matters at all who was a founder member and who wasn't. Going by what Jim says, technically yes, he is lying that it's the 3 'founder members' that are reforming.

But surely that lie pales in comparison to the fact that he's calling his website/facebook page the 'official site for UB40'? That to me is far more serious than whether or not they are founder members.
Old 21st January 2014, 09:56 PM
UB40 Fan

80% ill alraedy no but it makes more claer to us,,UB40 is UB40 and not Ali and the deb band and the name dep band is also was from UB40 albums
Old 21st January 2014, 10:09 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
That's just what I said on facebook the other day......KTF !!!

Jim (and Martin).....most of us die hard fans on here are hearing you loud and clear and any insight you give us on subjects like this are greatly appreciated but do you not think it's time the "outside world" got to hear your side of the story?? The usual crowd on here already know most of the basics of what's been going on for the last 6 years and who the founder members actually are but not all the people who like UB40 come on this website so what they see in the media is what they take as fact. I think many of us probably wonder why you don't go to the press and give them your two penneth but then I'm no expert on the subject......your an experienced bunch of guys so only you know whether that's a good or bad idea. I'll shut up now then.....

I hear what you are saying sal.

Every time Ali (and now astro) bad mouths his old bandmates in the press we get inundated with requests from journalists to put our side of the story. Apart from one article in the daily mirror way back when Ali left the band, we have always refused the chance to answer back. And I think that's right. Don't get me wrong, it can be very frustrating having to bite your lip when you hear the lies and misrepresentations coming from our ex singer, but it wouldn't be doing ourselves any favours getting into a tit-for-tat slanging match with them. All that would do would prolong the story by throwing petrol on the fire. It's better to let the story die a natural death. Which is exactly what happened when astro left. It ended up being a non-story. His leaving made very little difference to the gig we played in Liverpool the following day, and it made no difference to the next British tour, which is selling really well.

As far as the band is concerned it's business as usual, we're looking forward to the tour and this year is looking busy. Our ex singer buzzing around like a mosquito, trying to take bits out of us is annoying but it ain't life threatening.
Old 21st January 2014, 10:14 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post

Every time Ali (and now astro) bad mouths his old bandmates in the press we get inundated with requests from journalists to put our side of the story. Apart from one article in the daily mirror way back when Ali left the band, we have always refused the chance to answer back. And I think that's right. Don't get me wrong, it can be very frustrating having to bite your lip when you hear the lies and misrepresentations coming from our ex singer, but it wouldn't be doing ourselves any favours getting into a tit-for-tat slanging match with them. All that would do would prolong the story by throwing petrol on the fire. It's better to let the story die a natural death. Which is exactly what happened when astro left. It ended up being a non-story. His leaving made very little difference to the gig we played in Liverpool the following day, and it made no difference to the next British tour, which is selling really well.

As far as the band is concerned it's business as usual, we're looking forward to the tour and this year is looking busy. Our ex singer buzzing around like a mosquito, trying to take bits out of us is annoying but it ain't life threatening.
Solidarity comrade.
Old 21st January 2014, 10:36 PM
UBloonie

Quote:

Respect every word of that Jim......I admire you boys on your restraint

NFS !!! ......(and that means "No Fu**in' Surrender" in 'owd Lancashire slang.... )
Old 21st January 2014, 10:40 PM
UBloonie

Quote:

Respect Jim! Just one question...isn't it against the law what he is doing? Is there nothing that can be done? Looking forward to the tour and we're promoting the real UB's on the internet. XXX Cindy