Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 4th October 2014, 02:00 PM
UBloonie

Send a message via MSN to Burden of shame
Default JB/BT/loonies - what GITG songs got toured?

Inspired by NPG's post, I listened to the album this morning.

Did anyone ever hear "I really can't say" , "Lisa", "friendly fire" or "I've been missing you" live? I have the vh1 uncut gig but wondered how much more of the album got toured and how it translated on stage?

I remember the battersea gig got cancelled and don't think there was much of a tour at the time?

It's one of my fav ub albums, reminds me of the school holidays in 97
Old 4th October 2014, 05:25 PM
UBloonie

The whole tour got scrapped, there isn't much info about this era. I know that they did a few tracks on tv, obviously the two singles were played on TOTP and other shows, and Guns in the Ghetto, Hurry Come Up, I love It When You Smile, Tell me is it True were all done on that VH1 special. But i think thats pretty much it, im not sure what tracks were done on the LOL3 tour the following year?
Old 4th October 2014, 06:22 PM
UBloonie

nope that is it in a nutshell. GITG and love it when you smile at concerts
Old 4th October 2014, 07:55 PM
UBloonie

Yeah, I remember getting a letter though the post about the Battersea gig. I'd never seen UB40 before at that stage and had been really in to them spending all my Saturday job (washing caravans) money going in to Bradford City centre on the bus and flitting between HMV and Our Price to buy up the back catalogue. I was about 14 at the time.
I'd booked the Battersea gig ticket, and coach travel through the local paper in Bradford and was sooooo excited. I remember getting home from school and my mum saying, we've had some bad news - here's a letter, the gig is off cos Ali has a broken arm (or somthing).
I was heartbroken...
I think the whole GITG thing was scrapped cos Ali was playing silly beggars and was financially laughing after his multi million rip and run deal with Virgin for big love.

Would have been great to hear some more stuff from that album live. Although, as much as I like "I really can't say" I've never felt it fit well on GITG. To me it sounds like a leftover from P&L.

I think we've been quite lucky with hearing the new material live, especially since Dunx joined. Touring 24/7, LOL4 and GOTS we must have heard 2/3rds of the tracks live and many have remained strong in the setlists, like DUTML, Cream Puff, Easy Snapping, Boom Shaka etc...
I think I've heard more than half of GOTS live to be fair and enjoyed the lot, coupled with a handful of biggies and some lesser known oldies!

Paul

Last edited by hickpaul.96; 4th October 2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 5th October 2014, 01:21 PM
Super Über UBloonie

They did play the title track as the first song of the encore on,I think,the Cover Up tour in 2001.
Old 5th October 2014, 01:48 PM

Send a message via MSN to UBLutwyche Send a message via Yahoo to UBLutwyche

They did Always There and GITG on Jools Holland too. With a little extra horn arrangement during the middle dub bit on Always There.

I also love the backings being used on the Dancehall Album too. Another wicked album
Old 5th October 2014, 02:15 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Yes, Dancehall album , and the crazy remixes ... Let's not forget goggleheads Always There

oLdbOi....
Old 5th October 2014, 02:19 PM

Send a message via MSN to UBLutwyche Send a message via Yahoo to UBLutwyche

Listened to that a few days ago, a good remix, but wished there was more vocals on it, instead of just "I close my eyes, it's no surprise" lol. Still a good beat though.
Old 5th October 2014, 02:26 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Hear that ... Think it works better (less vocals)with these crazy fast paced remixes than the reggae versions.. would like to hear more vocals thrown in ..... Echoed into the next Dub Sessions...

oLdbOi
Old 7th October 2014, 05:32 PM
UBloonie

There is some choice material on Guns In The Ghetto to seriously consider bringing back live, especially I Love It When You Smile, Lisa, I've Been Missing You and definitely Tell Me Is It True.

An underrated UB40 album to be sure. Think at least two of the tracks would have had chart success in the US if they toured the album.

Peace,
Bagga.....