Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 3rd October 2009, 10:56 AM
UB40 Band Member

Default The Weekends Philosophical topic...

Does the RED you see look like the same as the RED I see, or is it maybe more like my "green"? How would we know?

Im still looking for an answer to this age old conundrum...I know JB has given this question some thought in the past BUT I am interested in your replys...Just because as a child you were told the color of your coat was for instance is RED...how do you know for sure its the same colour I associate with RED...?
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:00 AM
Super Über UBloonie

So Brian are you like me and stop when you see the "top light" (soz don't know any other word) from the traffic light shine?if so then your red is the same as mine
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:03 AM
UBloonie

Send a message via AIM to cepboi

Some interesting facts on COLOURS amazing to think if red wasnt red after all!!

Chromotherapy is sometimes referred to as light therapy or colourology and is still used today as a holistic or alternative treatment.

In this treatment:

* Red was used to stimulate the body and mind and to increase circulation.

* Yellow was thought to stimulate the nerves and purify the body.

* Orange was used to heal the lungs and to increase energy levels.

* Blue was believed to soothe illnesses and treat pain.

* Indigo shades were thought to alleviate skin problems.

so this weekend i will be dressed as a rainbow to increase my health ,mood and sex life!!!!

http://www.blrr.co.uk
http://blrr.podomatic.com

for itunes: http://blrr.podomatic.com/rss2.xml
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:15 AM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loekie
So Brian are you like me and stop when you see the "top light" (soz don't know any other word) from the traffic light shine?if so then your red is the same as mine

No..this is'nt a question of 'colour blindness' its deeper than that...for instance when you were a child you were told that color is red..so every time you saw that color you said thats red BUT how do you know its the same color in your head as it is in my head..give it some thought...
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:24 AM
UBloonie

Brian!

This is WWAAAYYY to hard a question after a 44 hr. week at the shop on afternoon shift. 5:17 am (Canada time) and a few screw drivers way too late . (feelin good tho...)
But anyways to be (try to) be serious. The first thing that came to my mind is a RED Ferarri . I guess colours are like languages , how ever they teach you. I can see by our kids , Marta and I now speak broken Polish being in Canada so long so in turn our kids speak the type of broken Polish we do. Hope that makes sense.

Mike

ps MEMO TO ME : do not post after work and drinks
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:28 AM
Super Über UBloonie

Send a message via MSN to Helena

hmmm interesting question. so how do people that are colour blind know that they are colour blind? There must be some way to tell that what they see is different to what we see. I wonder if many people that are colour blind go through life and just not realise.
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:40 AM
UB40 Band Member

There are very specific colour blindness tests..where coloured dots hide different colored numbers letters BUT thats not the question...Colour blindness only limits the way you perceive the difference between colours in your head..The big question is "How do you know we all see the same colour when for instance looking at RED..could be any colour in question..but how do any of us know we are looking at the same colour..In your head you may see what I would call green BUT you were told as a young child that is red...so your red is my green...I never said this was an easy question...You have to tap into your capacity for abstract thought...
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:43 AM
UBloonie

hej BT my screw driver is ORANGE at least that's what I am told
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:45 AM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt/ub40
Quote:
Originally Posted by loekie

No..this is'nt a question of 'colour blindness' its deeper than that...for instance when you were a child you were told that color is red..so every time you saw that color you said thats red BUT how do you know its the same color in your head as it is in my head..give it some thought...
you can't tell that because you can have a different interprertation of color then I have. In your example of that coat. Your mother said it was red so you learned that was red and stick to that but if you had ask my mother the color of that coat she could have said a different color for example orange in that case I would always have associated your coat with orange because that is what I learned.
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:45 AM
UBloonie

I read this guys books constantly....this particular jaunt down science way is a joy... it asks question not just sight but sound...what does if feel like to see in sound ?...Bats echo location. If you are interested in science...how things work kinda thing join the Dawkins road show.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Z...colour&f=false