Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 11th September 2009, 06:15 PM
Ubique Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenji-ko
Quote:
Originally Posted by reallytruly
I really do think this thread should be kept as a remembrance thread ... I enjoy the political conversations, but in this case think that there should be a separate post for those matters.

Just my opinion though ((shrugs)) ... seems disrespectful

Yeah I know what you mean...But is it harmful to talk about the remembrance of a man like Allende and a fantastic poet like Neruda..and the suffering of Chilean people ???

And this is a thread about the major political event of the new millenium..so for me it hard to interact about this subject in another post...it would be like talking to you and looking someone else in the eyes...You know what I mean...?

At the end...I think we should interact without thinking if the subject is appropriate or not..as long we respect each other..and that's what I tend to do...

Wrong....this thread, as Imani has stated, is not about the politics of it, it's about remembering where you were on that fateful day when 2,752 innocent people lost their lives. As for your comment "as long as we respect eachother" I find that a little bit laughable, as you are not respecting the intent of this thread. I'm not trying to squelch your views, I'm asking you to start a new thread and then knock yourself out discussing it there.
Old 11th September 2009, 06:21 PM
UBloonie

Send a message via AIM to kenji-ko

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego
Can I suggest you start another thread with respect to Pinochet, Allende et.al.

This thread was meant to be about where you were during this terrorist attack....and paying respect to the THOUSANDS that lost their lives that day.

Why I should start another thread ? Just because I mention another September 11th ?

I pay my respect for any single lost life on this planet and i do not consider that this forum is a sanctuary where some post are well worthy and other not...

Sorry then. If I want to speak here..This is my right. I do not think I am offending someone..If so...my apologies...
http://www.loscafres.com.ar/
Old 11th September 2009, 06:40 PM
UBloonie

Send a message via AIM to kenji-ko

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenji-ko
Quote:
Originally Posted by reallytruly
I really do think this thread should be kept as a remembrance thread ... I enjoy the political conversations, but in this case think that there should be a separate post for those matters.

Just my opinion though ((shrugs)) ... seems disrespectful

Yeah I know what you mean...But is it harmful to talk about the remembrance of a man like Allende and a fantastic poet like Neruda..and the suffering of Chilean people ???

And this is a thread about the major political event of the new millenium..so for me it hard to interact about this subject in another post...it would be like talking to you and looking someone else in the eyes...You know what I mean...?

At the end...I think we should interact without thinking if the subject is appropriate or not..as long we respect each other..and that's what I tend to do...

Wrong....this thread, as Imani has stated, is not about the politics of it, it's about remembering where you were on that fateful day when 2,752 innocent people lost their lives. As for your comment "as long as we respect eachother" I find that a little bit laughable, as you are not respecting the intent of this thread. I'm not trying to squelch your views, I'm asking you to start a new thread and then knock yourself out discussing it there.

And you are not showing respect to my freedom of speech...
If I want to write here, I write here. Do not ask me what to do please..

@Imani...sorry man...

http://www.loscafres.com.ar/
Old 11th September 2009, 06:44 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Can I suggest you start another thread with respect to Pinochet, Allende et.al.

This thread was meant to be about where you were during this terrorist attack....and paying respect to the THOUSANDS that lost their lives that day.
Quote:

Yes of course...went slightly off tangent for a minute..sorry guys.
Old 11th September 2009, 07:00 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt/ub40
Yes of course...went slightly off tangent for a minute..sorry guys.
Thanks BT .. had just had a conversation with a good friend in NY, and today is always so hard for her.

8 years ago today, she was hiding under her desk in an office building one block from the WTC ... scared for herself, her friends and her husband who was at that moment on a plane.

www.trudiemunnart.co.uk

"Some birds aren't meant to be caged, their feathers are just too bright"
Old 11th September 2009, 07:08 PM
UB40 Fan

I was getting ready for work listening to the radio. Turned on the TV and saw the 2nd plane hit. Shocked. Still am. A few weeks later when planes were allowed to fly in the US again, I was on my way to Peru on American Airlines. Very few people on the plane. On take off the stewardess said look out the window and you will see the ground crew sending us off in a wave of support. I looked out the window and saw trucks lined up on the runway with their lights shining on us and the ground crew lined up also waving to us as we took off on our flight. Everyone had tears in their eyes. The only good thing was the unity. "People of the world we are one."
Old 11th September 2009, 07:25 PM
UB40 Fan

I was home on maternity leave and listening to talk radio when they announced that a plane hit the Tower. I quickly ran and turned on CNN, I couldn't believe my eyes! I called my family who were at work at the time. I remember being frozen on the spot as I witnessed the other plane hit the second Tower. It was surreal and I will never forget it. I grabbed my baby and had a cry.
My friends who worked downtown all had the afternoon off as a safety precaution.
You really have to enjoy life while you can.
Old 13th September 2009, 08:54 PM
UBloonie

Hmmm I remember it so clearly - Id been in NY the week before with my sister - (flew home the Tuesday before 9/11) and was at work showing clients round our office, saw the IT guys crowded round a pc with the image of the WTC on fire and thought - what they hell are they doing watching a video game while ive got clients in the office!

Only to find out some 10 mins later that it was not a video game, but real life! Pretty much within the hour office life was not as we had known it, people including myself were frantically trying to call relatives in NY & the USA in general - but lines were jammed. My meeting was abandoned and I personally went home : and bizarely from that day on ive had a very morbid obsession with the events of that day and the fall out thereafter, ever since.

Turns my stomach and horrifies me everytime I think of the tragic needless loss of innocent lives. The firefighters/rescuers blindly rushing into a smoke filled building with no idea of what awaits them - just sickening and so emotionally draining to watch.

God rest their souls and god help the survivors come to terms with what they have had, and still have to deal with on a daily basis.

.....don't let it pass you by......
Old 14th September 2009, 06:01 AM
UBloonie

I was getting ready for the day to go to my Pharmacy School rotation site at a State mental hospital. Needless to say that the tv was not on in every room.

Very sad day in history.

"Just be good to each other" a wise man once said.

Aaron A.

But I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Old 14th September 2009, 08:38 PM
UB40 Fan

Send a message via AIM to thafonz Send a message via MSN to thafonz

I was in Los Angeles and pretty much asleep and my phone would not stop ringing for nearly 20 minutes straight. It was a friend of mine in London who was a banker who was monitoring the news. I answered and got up to watch CNN and others.

A while later I remembered that one of my best friends in Boston had a business trip to NYC that week. He always stayed at the Marriott at the World Trade Center. In fact I had a trip to NYC in January of '01 and our trips overlapped and we both stayed there and met up with a lot of friends and lived it up. I remember walking around the concourse of the complex. He stayed at that hotel because he liked that most of the staff knew him by name.

As the day wore on I realized that he was in fact in New York and was staying at the Marriott. He called his mother after the first plane hit and an email to his girlfriend saying how loud the crash was and how the building shook.

Sadly that was the last he was heard from. Almost the entire hotel was evacuated except for a handful of guests and staff.

A few months later I had to deliver a eulogy back in Boston in a Baptist church filled with 500 people. I had to go last because we were best friends who went to college together, lived in same neighborhood, worked at the same company and our girlfriends grew up together. Clearly the most difficult thing I have ever had to do in my life by a long shot. The sun and palm trees of LA were a world's away from the reality of Boston, New York and D.C. I will never forget it.

He was a UB40 fan and we attended a show in the early 90's that we often talked about for years.

You can find his legacy site here - http://www.legacy.com/gb2/default.aspx?bookid=119113

My brother wrote a fitting tribute a few months later - http://www.umassmag.com/Winter_2002/...RUSTY_245.html