Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 26th November 2013, 05:04 PM
hickpaul.96 hickpaul.96 is offline
UBloonie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bradford, West Yorkshire
Posts: 707
Default

Can David Campbell do "toasting/rapping"?

draft him in.....
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 26th November 2013, 05:12 PM
GefferyMorgan's Avatar
GefferyMorgan GefferyMorgan is offline
UBloonie
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Gadsden, Alabama
Posts: 2,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickpaul.96 View Post
Can David Campbell do "toasting/rapping"?

draft him in.....
Not sure about Dave, but maybe Robin's son Matt could.

By the way...glad you brought up "toasting." When I was a kid...a teen really...back in the mid 90s I bought Signing Off and it had the band members names in it and what instruments they played. It said "toasting" by Astro's name. I had no clue what "toasting" was. That's not a term used in any American music that I grew up listening to. So for a while there I just imagined that Astro was sat back there with a toaster, making toast while the band played I was a silly kid!
__________________

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 26th November 2013, 05:18 PM
rhondda rudie's Avatar
rhondda rudie rhondda rudie is offline
Super Über UBloonie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Penyrenglyn,Rhondda Cynon Taf
Posts: 13,467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GefferyMorgan View Post
Not sure about Dave, but maybe Robin's son Matt could.

By the way...glad you brought up "toasting." When I was a kid...a teen really...back in the mid 90s I bought Signing Off and it had the band members names in it and what instruments they played. It said "toasting" by Astro's name. I had no clue what "toasting" was. That's not a term used in any American music that I grew up listening to. So for a while there I just imagined that Astro was sat back there with a toaster, making toast while the band played I was a silly kid!
Don't worry Matt.I'm only 100 miles from them and I didn't know what it meant either.
__________________
REGGAE MUSIC CAN'T REFUSE IT
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 26th November 2013, 05:22 PM
GefferyMorgan's Avatar
GefferyMorgan GefferyMorgan is offline
UBloonie
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Gadsden, Alabama
Posts: 2,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondda rudie View Post
Don't worry Matt.I'm only 100 miles from them and I didn't know what it meant either.
He sure did do a lot of "toasting" but I never saw any bread. Such a strange thing...lol
__________________

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 26th November 2013, 05:25 PM
JB40's Avatar
JB40 JB40 is offline
UB40 Band Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 21,235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STING View Post
look at it logically mr Brown. you claim that Astro held you to ransom, demanding more money than the other members. he then defects and goes straight to, bankrupt, Ali Campbell who, as was pointed out, does a handful of gigs a year. this makes the official ub statement sound untrue doesn't it? you also said he'd been planning this for some time? why? he's probably making more money with ub40 than he ever will with Ali Campbell. none of it makes sense and you ask us to believe it. i'm more likely to believe he left because of musical differences but you brought out the old chestnut of 'holding to ransom' and 'more money' which just doesn't ring true at all. that's it.
Not much of that made sense.
The band have been working hard to pay off debts built up over some years. As a result, there is less money available to go into the bands pockets. This is part of keeping the business going, all partners are responsible for this. Which means we have to live within our means. Astro was finding it difficult to cope and started making noises about not working until he gets paid MORE, we told him that we would help him out by using money from the business. In return for special treatment he would have to promise the band that he would be there to play the bands up coming shows. Which he did. That was 3 weeks ago. Astro took the money and we haven't seen him since. Next thing we know, we get a letter of resignation 24 hours before the last gig.

That's what happened. What Astros thinking is I couldn't say. He must believe he will make more with Ali, but I think it's highly unlikely. Ask mickey about that one.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 26th November 2013, 07:07 PM
STING's Avatar
STING STING is offline
Ubique Über UBloonie
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: gay village, brum
Posts: 60,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
I didn't say you ran it, I just said you had a hand in it. One of your last pleasant threads was encouraging people to come out to the 2014 Fanfest.

So, you haven't supported the band in a long time but were using their name, images and old music as an excuse to get together with friends and party. That's rather...fake...of you. That's actually very Ali-like.
and you're another knob. come and meet me, see if i'm fake!
__________________
I'm the only fkin diva here, so watch out! ~THE GEMINI DEFECTIVES - DON'T COME TO US FOR ADVICE!!!!~
http://www.myspace.com/stingub40
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 26th November 2013, 07:13 PM
STING's Avatar
STING STING is offline
Ubique Über UBloonie
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: gay village, brum
Posts: 60,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post
Not much of that made sense.
The band have been working hard to pay off debts built up over some years. As a result, there is less money available to go into the bands pockets. This is part of keeping the business going, all partners are responsible for this. Which means we have to live within our means. Astro was finding it difficult to cope and started making noises about not working until he gets paid MORE, we told him that we would help him out by using money from the business. In return for special treatment he would have to promise the band that he would be there to play the bands up coming shows. Which he did. That was 3 weeks ago. Astro took the money and we haven't seen him since. Next thing we know, we get a letter of resignation 24 hours before the last gig.

That's what happened. What Astros thinking is I couldn't say. He must believe he will make more with Ali, but I think it's highly unlikely. Ask mickey about that one.

which part doesn't make sense? i don't remember reading any of the ad hoc stuff you've just stuck on about paying Astro more money. if you tell half the story then you get assumptions made. all i could see is this; why would Astro leave a well paid job(ub40 have a huge name, bigger than Ali campbell) to play a bit part alongside his side kick who is actually bankrupt. trying to belittle my argument does you no justice.
__________________
I'm the only fkin diva here, so watch out! ~THE GEMINI DEFECTIVES - DON'T COME TO US FOR ADVICE!!!!~
http://www.myspace.com/stingub40
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 26th November 2013, 08:45 PM
JB40's Avatar
JB40 JB40 is offline
UB40 Band Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 21,235
Default

At no point have I attempted to belittle you in any way. I'm just responding to your questions. And attempting to put it right when you get things wrong. I notice you haven't responded to anything I've posted directly. The basic facts are. . . .astro tried to hold the band to ransom for more money because he had financial problems. We agreed to help him so long as he agreed to do up coming shows with us. Astro agreed to that. He took the money and we haven't seen him since. During the same meeting, when he was asked, he denied he was in contact with Ali . Two weeks later we received a resignation letter from astro, 24 hours before the last show. 3 days after that he announces he will appear with Ali.

These are the facts, make of them what you will.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 26th November 2013, 08:45 PM
rhondda rudie's Avatar
rhondda rudie rhondda rudie is offline
Super Über UBloonie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Penyrenglyn,Rhondda Cynon Taf
Posts: 13,467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STING View Post
and you're another knob. come and meet me, see if i'm fake!
Are you the world's only surviving brain transplant donor.

Try HRT or something,
__________________
REGGAE MUSIC CAN'T REFUSE IT
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 26th November 2013, 09:03 PM
rhondda rudie's Avatar
rhondda rudie rhondda rudie is offline
Super Über UBloonie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Penyrenglyn,Rhondda Cynon Taf
Posts: 13,467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post
At no point have I attempted to belittle you in any way. I'm just responding to your questions. And attempting to put it right when you get things wrong. I notice you haven't responded to anything I've posted directly. The basic facts are. . . .astro tried to hold the band to ransom for more money because he had financial problems. We agreed to help him so long as he agreed to do up coming shows with us. Astro agreed to that. He took the money and we haven't seen him since. During the same meeting, when he was asked, he denied he was in contact with Ali . Two weeks later we received a resignation letter from astro, 24 hours before the last show. 3 days after that he announces he will appear with Ali.

These are the facts, make of them what you will.
You're giving her far too much of your time Jimmy.She spent the weekend threatening Luci on facebook.She's a waste of good oxygen.
__________________
REGGAE MUSIC CAN'T REFUSE IT
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 (Unregistered)


Forum SEO by Rapid Web Ltd