Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 10th September 2009, 08:59 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Otang
I had been shopping in Oxford Street London,and was on my way home with the wife,On the short bus trip there was a young Girl student sitting infront of us on her Mobile phone Talking about going to the US for a holiday the following day,next to her was this Very Old Lady sort of tapping her saying "Ohh ya dont wanna go over there,They're crashing planes into buildings & stuff"...we sat there thinking "Is she alright this old lady" ?? that's a weird thing to say. :?

When we got home switched on the TV it was right there infront of us :shock:

we just sat for hours stunned by it all :cry: :cry: :cry:

Going to work the next morning was a day i will never forget.I have never ever seen people in London so quiet & shocked travelling into work,Another sad thing that the office i was travelling to work on a job was one of the "sister" offices of cantor fitzgerald :cry: i think they lost over 600 people :cry:

JimBoO,another thing,Soz to bring a small bit of politics as well,but i came across a book in work today, & was just having a flick through,& ironically was reading about how just moments after the 2nd plane hit the tower,New Labours Spin queen Jo Moore sent Stephen Byers an email...saying " nows a very good day" to "bury" bad news......councillors expenses!! ...do ya remember that ??Just sort of summed up the government shysters back then as well i suppose...:roll:

over & Out Lt Tang

you know tang, I always quote the Jo Moore incident as the key to understanding 'new labour'. Those callow middle-class graduates from 'media studies' courses. Proffesional cynics before they experienced any 'real' life for themselves. Experts at 'manipulating the media'. Where i come from it used to be called 'lying'.
Old 10th September 2009, 09:06 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Lying....that's a good honest word for it

love jx
Old 10th September 2009, 09:21 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Send a message via MSN to Nes B40

Sal wrote
There was music playing on the radio and I remember we had to make a diversion to our usual route home as some poor trucker in his HGV had tried to "deliver" a low bridge and hadn't succeeded (meaning the bridge wasn't high enough for him to get under ).

Funny that cause we had to make a diversion at the mancunion way because an hgv had dropped it's load, tons of iron piping all over the road, Took twice as long to get home

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn213/nesbit_bucket/
Old 10th September 2009, 09:39 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nes
Sal wrote
There was music playing on the radio and I remember we had to make a diversion to our usual route home as some poor trucker in his HGV had tried to "deliver" a low bridge and hadn't succeeded (meaning the bridge wasn't high enough for him to get under ).

Funny that cause we had to make a diversion at the mancunion way because an hgv had dropped it's load, tons of iron piping all over the road, Took twice as long to get home
Oh you know what Nes, I seem to remember something about that because my hubby is a trucker and the guy he worked for at the time was based at Crane Street in Ardwick and I seem to rememeber him telling me he got caught up in that on his way back to the yard. Ain't it strange the things you remember
Old 10th September 2009, 09:42 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Send a message via MSN to Nes B40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
Quote:
Originally Posted by nes
Sal wrote

Oh you know what Nes, I seem to remember something about that because my hubby is a trucker and the guy he worked for at the time was based at Crane Street in Ardwick and I seem to rememeber him telling me he got caught up in that on his way back to the yard. Ain't it strange the things you remember
Sure is Sal

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn213/nesbit_bucket/
Old 10th September 2009, 09:48 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Send a message via AIM to NEPCHOON ROSE Send a message via MSN to NEPCHOON ROSE

in a canteen in summer lane, it was the only time all the staff 90 of us put down the phones and went to watch the news updates and management not kicking off about it.

i remember being pissed off that day not getting a ticket for the 21st aniversay gig....after watching the news...i had a big reailty check
I want those who get to know me
To become admirers or my enemies....
Old 10th September 2009, 10:05 PM
Über UBLoonie

Send a message via MSN to Dutchess

I had a day off so was home. I turned the tv on just after the first plane crashed into the tower, didnt move from the telly for hours after that

I was watching "102 minutes" aswell yesterday but couldnt watch it all..it still makes me feel so sad I just cant watch it all
Old 10th September 2009, 10:36 PM
UBloonie

i was working as contract manager for the Ministry of Defence and was driving back from my regional office when the radio was interrupted with a newsflash, it was talkport and mike parry did a great job reporting.

i was stunned and phoned home as my wife was at home with my son only 21 months at the time.

as it became apparent it was a terrorist attack, i phoned ahead to the MOD site i was based at as it houses 2000 staff.

i asked what was happening, were we at a higher alert status, they didn't know what i talking about.

so that was at 2/3 pm.

it took whitehall until 9pm that evening to make a decision that we should go to high alert!!

the rest is history.
Old 11th September 2009, 12:00 AM
Super Über UBloonie

I was at home it came on the radio in a newsflash a plane had crashed into the world trade centre 1st tower, put the telly on watched the 2nd plane hit the 2nd tower
I sat and watched the 102mins the other night it's very sad i still remember it like yesterday.
Old 11th September 2009, 09:24 AM
UBloonie

Send a message via AIM to kenji-ko

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40
It was one of the most political and politicized events in modern times. It changed the geo-political map of the world for a generation. Very difficult to avoid the politics I'm afraid Fi.
I realize that, but I'd rather just read where and what people were doing.

Still....we do not know the truth about that...

I won't write ( sorry Imani) what I was doing but I always think about a certain 11th September 1973...

Salvador Allende, one of the rare democratically elected leader in South America, if not the one, was "replaced" by one of the most violent and cruel leader....Pinochet..

Pablo Neruda, the great poet killed himself few days later after the coup d'etat...

Salvador presente!
Pablo presente!
http://www.loscafres.com.ar/