Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 10th September 2009, 03:16 PM
UB40 Band Member

I remember it well.
We got to the catering room, where the TV was, just after the first plane hit. Then we all watched it unfold. We had gone back on stage when Animal , one of our roadies shouted 'the buildings have collapsed' so we threw down our instruments and ran back to watch the TV again.
We finished our rehearsal, and played the show. The show was good. It was a big deal, we had a press conference set up to celebrate 21 years, lots of special guests, and it was filmed. Everything went like clockwork. But you couldn't help feeling there was a shared sense of being in shock. The events were so fresh that you could feel it was in the back of everybody's mind. Performers and audience. It's bad luck I suppose trying to create a media 'event' on the day of the most televised historical event in living memory, eclipsing Kennedy's assasination and the moon landings.
When i was a child I witnessed the Aberfan disaster where a school was buried under a landslide of coal. Many children died. And I remember feeling the atmosphere of shock and horror that was in the air. My girls were quite young when 9/11 happened. It will be indellibly printed in their minds more than any.
Old 10th September 2009, 03:17 PM
UBloonie

I was working in the financial district of Toronto that morning (as I still do). My husband, who works outside of downtown, called me at 9:00 a.m. to tell me a plane had hit one of the towers in NYC. I at first thought he was joking, and then figured it was a little Cessna or something like that. About 20 minutes later, he called again to say another plane had hit and my heart just sunk.

Because no one knew who was doing what at the time or where they were going to hit next, our building was evacuated, as were most in the financial district, and I went home and watched the news for the next 5 hours by myself, definitely not a good idea.

The next day, we all had to return to work in our highrises. I remember someone saying to me that morning, "if you are terrified, then the terrorists have what they want, it worked". Still wasn't too comfortable for the first while coming to work, but its not a problem now, nor for the last several years.
Old 10th September 2009, 03:30 PM
UBloonie

I was full of excitement gettin set up to head south for the 21st show,that soon paled as the events unfolded on TV.
2 of my kids (10 an 7 then) bounced in returning from school full chatter about their day.Their mood soon quietened when they saw what was going on.
Time stood still that day, a mass shock wave seemed to envelope our lives.My thoughts then were are as they are now.All those innocents going about their daily routine which was soon to be shattered.

It really is one of those never to be forgotten events in life.
Old 10th September 2009, 03:36 PM
UBloonie

I working on a farm in devon,finished up,drove home,walked into the lounge where my wife said "LOOK" i first thought,like a lot of people it was a film but how wrong was i,total shock and disbelief.
Old 10th September 2009, 03:45 PM
UBloonie

It felt as though the world changed from that moment on. It became a defining moment in history. There was a cloud over the world for a long time, it seemed. Many things are now seen in relation to that event.
Old 10th September 2009, 04:22 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Send a message via MSN to Nes B40

I was working on the then new cinima complex in Manchester sound profing it, On the way home in the rush hour I quickerly glimsed at a news paper heading board outside a shop saying something about a plane crash leaving me with such an eary feeling that something devastating had happend, When I got home my step daughter said a plane had crashed into a block of flats, I switched the tv on and couldn't believe what had happend, Was like watching a movie I was stunned in disbelief, What a sad sad day, my heart goes out to the victims, and all those that lost their loved ones, God bless

Mags wasn't that plane heading for the White House and went down in Pensilvania?

Jim, BT, I was watching how gobsmacked you's was watching it unfold on the DVD in the Best of vol 1&2

I also watched the documentry 9/11 ; 102 minuets that changed America.

World Trade Center The Movie with Nicolas Cage

United 93, Drama about the plane that mags was talking about

and, 9/11 Phone calls from the towers.

Pluss a movie on virgin media/ntl called The Terrorist next door, About the events leading up to the attaks on the twin towers.

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn213/nesbit_bucket/
Old 10th September 2009, 04:32 PM
UB40 Band Member

It's visually iconic too. The bright blue sky. The two towers looked like monoliths. The plumes of smoke. Any one could make a quick sketch of it with a few well chosen lines. And it would be easily recognized. It was a gift to the media. No-one will forget that image of those burning towers. More surreal than any hollywood special effect. There was MORE devastation than had ever been imagined in even the most expensive of hollywood disaster movies. Particularly when the towers collapsed. A twist in the story that no one could even have imagined.
The media tried to artificially create an iconic moment with the pulling down of Saddams statue at the start of the Iraq war. They had their cameras fixed on the statue waiting for the significant moment when the liberated people of Iraq would congregate at the square to show their disgust at their ex dictator by pulling down the statue for all the world to see. But it didn't work out that way. The square remained empty all day. Eventually the US army managed to find a handfull of locals and tried to stage the event. But the statue was pulled down by a US tank, with a US flag over Saddams face. Not the image the media and our governments wanted to promote at all. They wanted to show how much the people of Iraq were grateful for their liberation. Well, that was the plan any way.
Old 10th September 2009, 05:09 PM
UBloonie

Send a message via Yahoo to Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40
It's visually iconic too. The bright blue sky. The two towers looked like monoliths. The plumes of smoke. Any one could make a quick sketch of it with a few well chosen lines. And it would be easily recognized. It was a gift to the media. No-one will forget that image of those burning towers. More surreal than any hollywood special effect. There was MORE devastation than had ever been imagined in even the most expensive of hollywood disaster movies. Particularly when the towers collapsed. A twist in the story that no one could even have imagined.
The media tried to artificially create an iconic moment with the pulling down of Saddams statue at the start of the Iraq war. They had their cameras fixed on the statue waiting for the significant moment when the liberated people of Iraq would congregate at the square to show their disgust at their ex dictator by pulling down the statue for all the world to see. But it didn't work out that way. The square remained empty all day. Eventually the US army managed to find a handfull of locals and tried to stage the event. But the statue was pulled down by a US tank, with a US flag over Saddams face. Not the image the media and our governments wanted to promote at all. They wanted to show how much the people of Iraq were grateful for their liberation. Well, that was the plan any way.
JB, just read a book called I think "100 days and nights" written by a reporter who was in Iraq during all of that, and at that statue when it was taken down....get a whole different picture than what the US wants us to think happened at that moment.

Anyway, 9/11, I had just married a Muslim guy and converted myself...my sister in law was living with us as well...we sat there and watched the TV horrified. Horrified for the people who were killed, injured but also scared for ourselves. I remember thinking "God, please don't let it be Muslims that did it".....too late.
Old 10th September 2009, 05:20 PM
Ubique Über UBloonie

Let's not politicize this post.
Old 10th September 2009, 05:31 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego
Let's not politicize this post.
I'm in agreement. I've purposely avoided going into those issues here this time 'round. But then, it's a free forum and people are going to offer their free thought regardless.