Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 7th April 2014, 12:59 AM
UB40 Fan

Default 5 concerts in 6 days, mad? oh no!!

I'm still mildly hysterical but after 9 hours on 3 different trains home today too tired to sleep so sorry if this a bit rambling.

Spent the week at Glasgow, Gateshead, Leeds, Nottingham and Ipswich.

I knew very early into the Glasgow gig that making a week of it was the right decision, I have only had a quick scan at previous comments but reiterate everything about the band never sounding better. Not sure how much of a secret the set list still is so won't say too much just in case except that its the best I've been to - lots of very old, including my all time favourite song, (BIG hint later),lots of fabulous new stuff, all the expected standard tracks and quite a few complete surprises (well, they were the first night!). The running order should not go unmentioned either, it never flags, we never get a breath! Have lost a few brain cells over the week but think the first 2 shows had an additional track that had to be dropped due to Robin's cold; NOTE TO ROBIN - you need dark rum and Crabbie's Green Ginger Wine in equal parts!

Always unfair to single out one band member but will say Duncan looks, sounds and acts as if he has always been there.

The atmosphere at all 5 was unbelievable; - I would say that 5 days on I am still a little mystified at what took a lot of the crowd so long to get to their feet at The Sage? The best one in terms of sound, atmosphere and exceptionally friendly people, I am awarding to last night's Ipswich one - first time visitor to East Anglia, will definitely do it again. The evening was rounded off nicely watching UB42 in a pub next door, they were great and had 3 very special guest performers!

I spoke to several of the regulars on here and also to many first time concert attenders and all of us seem to be almost stunned at the end of the gigs - it might make me sound a bit of a simpleton but I find the community singing of the last track really moving and imagine it must be like attending church for those who do! One of the things "new" people (and some of the people I know in my "normal" life) find so amazing is the amount if interraction between band and audience - we really do appreciate this!!

The idea of a DJ instead of a support band is inspired - for the standing gigs, didn't work so well the nights we had seats.

If you haven't got a ticket yet and can get to one of the concerts - do it!!

And, we all have different family, work and money issues but if you have ever thought of going to multiple gigs, maybe next time, and making a little holiday of it, I will offer my lifelong mantra - DON'T LET IT PASS YOU BY, YOU'RE GONNA WAKE UP AND WONDER WHY................
Old 7th April 2014, 01:04 AM
Super Über UBloonie

Great read,thanks.You must be knackered.
Old 7th April 2014, 10:33 AM
UBloonie

Great review. In fact fabulous review. I felt as though I was there with you. It's definitely gruelling doing that many shows back to back, with all the travelling, checking in and out of hotels, etc etc and you deserve a well earned rest.

You doing any more shows?

I don't recognise your user name..maybe I know you. Maybe we've been to the same shows..Tell us more about yourself.

Tanya
Old 7th April 2014, 09:53 PM
UB40 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
Great review. In fact fabulous review. I felt as though I was there with you. It's definitely gruelling doing that many shows back to back, with all the travelling, checking in and out of hotels, etc etc and you deserve a well earned rest.

You doing any more shows?

I don't recognise your user name..maybe I know you. Maybe we've been to the same shows..Tell us more about yourself.

Tanya
Hi Tanya, I'm Linda from sunny Scotland, hate my user name - it was dreamt up in a hurry and not sure if we are allowed to change them?! Have loved the band since hearing the first few bars of Food of Thought as a teenager and have been to all but one Scottish gig since 1982 and all the Newcastle ones since 1998 as well as many random others. These boys have been the background to my adult life with ups and downs and it now feels like we are (all) settling into a happy middle age together.... Sometimes I think the people from this board should wear badges at the gigs but then we may look like we have escaped from somewhere!!
Old 8th April 2014, 02:51 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince80 View Post
Hi Tanya, I'm Linda from sunny Scotland, hate my user name - it was dreamt up in a hurry and not sure if we are allowed to change them?! Have loved the band since hearing the first few bars of Food of Thought as a teenager and have been to all but one Scottish gig since 1982 and all the Newcastle ones since 1998 as well as many random others. These boys have been the background to my adult life with ups and downs and it now feels like we are (all) settling into a happy middle age together.... Sometimes I think the people from this board should wear badges at the gigs but then we may look like we have escaped from somewhere!!
Who says I haven't escaped from somewhere!!! Loved your review Linda. Agree with you - that the boys have been the background to my adult life. I first saw them in '82 also. That one gig was just never enough! I've been to 3 or 4 Glasgow shows, so no doubt we've rubbed shoulders. I'm resting now, gearing myself up for a week away in Holland..i although i need to do a bit of fitness training so i can get through the expedition, haha!
Old 7th April 2014, 12:13 PM
Über UBLoonie

great review
Old 7th April 2014, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator
UBloonie

Wow what a lovely review. Really enjoyed reading that!

Yes.. you must be exhausted! I am and I only read it
Robin has a nasty throat infection so yes, they dropped a number that he sings for now. Im so glad I saw it in Glasgow and I hope its in again by the time I next go to a show.
He has been drinking lemon & honey with plenty of whisky but your remedy sound much nicer!
Are you coming to any others or was that marathon amount of gigs your chosen circuit?

Luci Lockit x
Old 7th April 2014, 09:56 PM
UB40 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luci Lockit View Post
Wow what a lovely review. Really enjoyed reading that!

Yes.. you must be exhausted! I am and I only read it
Robin has a nasty throat infection so yes, they dropped a number that he sings for now. Im so glad I saw it in Glasgow and I hope its in again by the time I next go to a show.
He has been drinking lemon & honey with plenty of whisky but your remedy sound much nicer!
Are you coming to any others or was that marathon amount of gigs your chosen circuit?

Luci Lockit x
Hi Luci, sure he will be better soon!! That's it for this year I'm afraid, didn't choose the geographical tour, was just easier to take a straight week off work and really get into the swing instead of lots of shorter trips.
Old 7th April 2014, 01:23 PM
UB40 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince80 View Post
Spent the week at Glasgow, Gateshead, Leeds, Nottingham and Ipswich.
great review, and green with envy here!

too late for this time, but i think the next big tour should coincide with me taking a holiday over there....

-r
Old 7th April 2014, 02:34 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie Rock Star View Post
great review, and green with envy here!

too late for this time, but i think the next big tour should coincide with me taking a holiday over there....

-r
After you went and saw the other fella, you deserve a treat