Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 9th December 2009, 10:46 AM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubs4me View Post
we know that Helena thats why we cant understand why Paul said it ?
Maybe hes got his time of the month

http://www.freegarytyler.com/
Old 9th December 2009, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
UBloonie

Hi Terry

I am not making excuses for the way you were treated, but Paul has got a very wry sense of humour, and, having known him very well for ten years, this does sound like he was making a joke, in bad taste, that went a bit wrong... he does that sometimes!
He is a really really nice guy!

The fact that a lot of people have got backstage over the years doesn't mean that he will let anyone back at any show. Far far from it.
It is, as Jimmy says, pot luck.
As Tour Manager, it is actually Paul's JOB to not let people go backstage, which is why they have security there to check passes, it's the same for any band. In fact, him personally telling you you couldn't come back, means that security were possibly not doing their job, and he had to take over, which would explain his mood- he shouldn't have had to be the bad guy!
He wouldn't be not letting you in for fun. He would have been asked not to, for any number of reasons- and not you personally, of course!

Most bands don't let ANYONE back, and are rushed to the bus in a sea of security so they don't even have to stop for photos. UB40 are not like that!

Most people that have met the band on here have done so at the stage door, or by the busses, not by going backstage- particularly in the UK.

When I worked for UB40, no offense, but the hardest part of my 17 hour day was trying to negotiate getting all of the gear in the dressing rooms back into the flight cases to get into the truck in time.. and that job was made all the harder by friends, family and fans in the way! lol
I think Caroline & Sonia will back me up on that one!
Bournemouth is particularly bad, as there is nowhere to put guests other than the dressing room, so consequently numbers are even more limited.

I am sorry you felt a bit cheated- I can see that people coming here with their reviews, and saying they met the band would make it disappointing that you and your daughter didn't meet them all, but really, the show is all about what happens onstage, not after it.

Having said that, of course the whole experience of the night will make you decide if you had a good night- I have been to a show or two where the security have physically manhandled me, been rude to me, or generally lorded it over me.. and I DO have all the right passes to get backstage lol

As I have said before, they are more likely to stop anyone coming back at all, than let everybody back, if people get upset! It just isn't possible to have the whole of the Bournemouth Arena back for a drink after the show, much as it would be fun!

I do hope that you have a better experience next time- and no, no one thinks that you are not a real fan!

Big Love
Luci x
Old 9th December 2009, 12:53 PM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luci Lockit View Post
Hi Terry

I am not making excuses for the way you were treated, but Paul has got a very wry sense of humour, and, having known him very well for ten years, this does sound like he was making a joke, in bad taste, that went a bit wrong... he does that sometimes!
He is a really really nice guy!

The fact that a lot of people have got backstage over the years doesn't mean that he will let anyone back at any show. Far far from it.
It is, as Jimmy says, pot luck.
As Tour Manager, it is actually Paul's JOB to not let people go backstage, which is why they have security there to check passes, it's the same for any band. In fact, him personally telling you you couldn't come back, means that security were possibly not doing their job, and he had to take over, which would explain his mood- he shouldn't have had to be the bad guy!
He wouldn't be not letting you in for fun. He would have been asked not to, for any number of reasons- and not you personally, of course!

Most bands don't let ANYONE back, and are rushed to the bus in a sea of security so they don't even have to stop for photos. UB40 are not like that!

Most people that have met the band on here have done so at the stage door, or by the busses, not by going backstage- particularly in the UK.

When I worked for UB40, no offense, but the hardest part of my 17 hour day was trying to negotiate getting all of the gear in the dressing rooms back into the flight cases to get into the truck in time.. and that job was made all the harder by friends, family and fans in the way! lol
I think Caroline & Sonia will back me up on that one!
Bournemouth is particularly bad, as there is nowhere to put guests other than the dressing room, so consequently numbers are even more limited.

I am sorry you felt a bit cheated- I can see that people coming here with their reviews, and saying they met the band would make it disappointing that you and your daughter didn't meet them all, but really, the show is all about what happens onstage, not after it.

Having said that, of course the whole experience of the night will make you decide if you had a good night- I have been to a show or two where the security have physically manhandled me, been rude to me, or generally lorded it over me.. and I DO have all the right passes to get backstage lol

As I have said before, they are more likely to stop anyone coming back at all, than let everybody back, if people get upset! It just isn't possible to have the whole of the Bournemouth Arena back for a drink after the show, much as it would be fun!

I do hope that you have a better experience next time- and no, no one thinks that you are not a real fan!

Big Love
Luci x
i understand what your saying Luci that he cant let everyone back but and i know im gonna get sh** for saying this and im not the only person to say this why cant people who havent meet the band backstage meet them it always seem to be the same old faces yes i know they are more than likely not just loonies but mates aswell but a least they can say they have had chance to have a natter with the lads maybe if Paul knows their face really well why not say come on peeps you have meet the lads let someone else who havn't met them meet them. i'm really sorry peeps if i have upset anyone as alot of you know to meet the lads has a made your dreams come true right i'm outta here cause no doubt alot of peeps will hate me for saying that xx

CDP PICShttp://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/UBS4ME/Cafe%20de%20Paris/
Old 9th December 2009, 01:03 PM
UBloonie

SORRY LUCI as I have already said. Robin said to wait and he would see what he could do, then Hunty comes outand we get told to go away because we are NOT REAL FANS AND I AM NOT FEMALE.
Kerry and I have met the band members before and just wanted for our daughter to meet them and to get the programme signed by the rest of them.
I was NOT expecting to get back stage, but just to do like we did at CDP.

How many innocent die every day.
Innocent die from the games that you play.

Old 9th December 2009, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
UBloonie

lol Kerry.. no ones gonna hate you for saying that..
But I think you will find that the band feel pretty strongly that it is up to them who they let backstage- it isnt a lottery.. I also don't want to upset or alienate anyone, but it really is the band's time, after the show, it isn't a regimented meet and greet, it is how they feel at the time. I have never met a band that actually LIKE to do Meet and Greets that have been set up for them. If you took this away from them then they wouldn't have anyone back at all, it wouldn't be replaced by a conveyor belt of fans passing thru the dressing room! When people say they have met the band, it is rarely in their actual dressing room- it is usually in a separate area, or, more often, outside, by the stage door.
With "customer safety" getting more and more 'careful', I can see this being stopped altogether soon anyway- the venues do not want to have people backstage- it isnt good on their insurance, and I can see them clamping down on it- the NEC have been refusing more and more to have guests backstage each time they perform there.
Another point..and u will hate me for this lol.. would YOU let total strangers into your front room to say hi when you had just got home from work? Just because they felt it was their time to meet you? Because that is all I can liken it to!
Luci xx
Old 9th December 2009, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Woman Man View Post
SORRY LUCI as I have already said. Robin said to wait and he would see what he could do, then Hunty comes outand we get told to go away because we are NOT REAL FANS AND I AM NOT FEMALE.
Kerry and I have met the band members before and just wanted for our daughter to meet them and to get the programme signed by the rest of them.
I was NOT expecting to get back stage, but just to do like we did at CDP.
Then I blame Robin Terry! lol
No, seriously, I am really sorry you had such disappointment at the end of the show.. I tell you what, I know it's not the same, but send me that programme to Reflex, and I will get the rest of the band to sign it.

I hope that makes up for it just a little bit
Luci x
Old 9th December 2009, 01:32 PM
Über UBLoonie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luci Lockit View Post
lol Kerry.. no ones gonna hate you for saying that..
But I think you will find that the band feel pretty strongly that it is up to them who they let backstage- it isnt a lottery.. I also don't want to upset or alienate anyone, but it really is the band's time, after the show, it isn't a regimented meet and greet, it is how they feel at the time. I have never met a band that actually LIKE to do Meet and Greets that have been set up for them. If you took this away from them then they wouldn't have anyone back at all, it wouldn't be replaced by a conveyor belt of fans passing thru the dressing room! When people say they have met the band, it is rarely in their actual dressing room- it is usually in a separate area, or, more often, outside, by the stage door.
With "customer safety" getting more and more 'careful', I can see this being stopped altogether soon anyway- the venues do not want to have people backstage- it isnt good on their insurance, and I can see them clamping down on it- the NEC have been refusing more and more to have guests backstage each time they perform there.
Another point..and u will hate me for this lol.. would YOU let total strangers into your front room to say hi when you had just got home from work? Just because they felt it was their time to meet you? Because that is all I can liken it to!
Luci xx
ok Luci i hear what your saying, but wouldn't everyone of the fans been total strangers at some time or other and now are real good friends of the band because they have met them on so many occasions lol maybe if i stalk them then they might notice my face more lmfao

CDP PICShttp://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/UBS4ME/Cafe%20de%20Paris/
Old 9th December 2009, 01:38 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubs4me View Post
ok Luci i hear what your saying, but wouldn't everyone of the fans been total strangers at some time or other and now are real good friends of the band because they have met them on so many occasions lol maybe if i stalk them then they might notice my face more lmfao
lmao at that bit kerry!

so sorry to hear your night didnt end as well as it began
Old 9th December 2009, 04:29 PM
UBloonie

I have to agree that its a little unfair of Paul if he said that meaningly.
I have never met the lads and probably not likely to.... but i was really close to Astro at Rainbow . to meet and greet would be fabulous for me... but fully understand that the lads have had enough by the end of the day and just want to go home and chill.
who cares if the guys have favourite Loonies they like to hang out with, thats there perogotive, we all choose our own friends and the lads are no different to you and me.
if you go to a show... thats what your there for, the music and the lights etc... if you are lucky enough to get to go backstage afterwards thats a bonus and not an expectation.

Ani
Old 9th December 2009, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator
UBloonie

Actually, coincidentally, I recently received a pm from someone who shall remain nameless asking me to THANK Paul for arguing with the security to ALLOW them to come back and say thank you to the band. A person who was writing on behalf of someone who has lost someone very dear to them a very short while ago, and wanted the band to know how much their support, kind words, and songs have done for them.
So maybe Paul isnt so bad after all, eh?

Luci x

Tags
bournemouth