Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 8th February 2010, 06:09 PM
UB40 Fan

Send a message via AIM to thafonz Send a message via MSN to thafonz
Default What did everyone think of The Who?

lots of mixed reactions...

Resnikoff's Parting Shot: The Super Bowl Soundtrack...

Think that football was the only athletic event at the Super Bowl? Wrong! The Who is renowned for their high-energy shows, their guitar-smashing finales. This is a band predicated on energy, but Townshend and Daltry were unfortunately panting on lap one during their halftime performance.

And that was tough to watch. This was hardly an ageless Mick Jagger jumping around; rather, it was a cringe-worthy performance on one of the biggest stages imaginable. Songs like "Won't Get Fooled Again" and "Pinball Wizard" are operatic challenges, not acoustic lullabies, and these format-stretchers quickly stressed their creators.

Anyway, that was the main event, at least from a musical perspective. But plenty of other bands grabbed Super Bowl glow. That included Carrie Underwood and Queen Latifah singing national anthems, and mega-bands like Kiss hawking Dr. Pepper. Other huge names included T-Pain (in a self-parodying, auto-tuning spot for Doritos); Blur (powering Lance Armstrong through a Michelob Light ad); and will.i.am and Slash (a remixing team for another Who track, this time for FloTV).

Typical big-name artists for a big-name gig, right? Well, not exactly. Other commercials offered an interesting wildcard, and that is where bands like Grizzly Bear (Volkswagen), The Heavy (Kia), and Arcade Fire (for the NFL) shined through. Plenty of dusty classics also grabbed exposure, including songs from ELO (Budweiser), Bill Withers (EA), KC & the Sunshine Band (Honda), and hey, even Maurice Ravel (Coca-Cola).

The list also included Cheap Trick, whose "Dream Police" was changed to "Green Police" to support an eco-friendly Audi A3. Sellout? Bands are over that stigma, but even so, Cheap Trick is doing this one for the environment (and another 'green cause' as well).

Anyway, funny how Kiss can coexist with Grizzly Bear on the same mega-broadcast, and the bands the lie in-between. Sure, big brands love big bands and classics, but they also love edgier, indie-leaning artists. That opens the door to some surprises, and a more interesting game for the music industry.

It also underscores just how unpredictable the music business is these days. In the middle of a chaotic disruption, there really are no rules and lots of unexpected (if far-fetched) opportunities. Perhaps the big question now is what type of lift these featured bands will enjoy - especially in the absence of on-screen identifications.

Oh, and the football game, the one between the Saints and Colts? The biggest winner of all is the city of New Orleans, one of the most important musical spots in the world. All in all, it was a fun game with an unexpected soundtrack.

Paul Resnikoff, Publisher.

Permalink: Resnikoff's Parting Shot: The Super Bowl Soundtrack... — Digital Music News
Old 8th February 2010, 07:10 PM
Ubique Über UBloonie

Who Dat!!!!!
Old 8th February 2010, 07:15 PM
Ubique Über UBloonie

Ok, to answer your question: hmmm it was a little uncomfortable to watch, some of the vocals were a stretch for them, but I had to keep in mind that these guys are getting up there in age. I found myself more intrigued that the roadies were able to put together an incredible stage and light show in less than 15 minutes, and was stunned that it worked flawlessly. An interesting factoid was that Ringo's son was the drummer for this set, wonder what it was like playing to an audience of over 80,000 in the stadium and mulitple millions on tv?
Old 8th February 2010, 07:17 PM
UBloonie

Send a message via Yahoo to Erin

"uncomfortable to watch", good description.
Old 8th February 2010, 07:27 PM
UBloonie

For their ages, experiences, and the fact that they don't perform on a regular basis, I thought they did a pretty good job. Its the Superbowl, so I was abit surprised that they were performing to begin with, but once they started, I thought they did fairly well. I loved the stage and thought that that "prettied up" their performance, made it more flashy, seeing as they weren't running around like the youngin's these days (and like when I saw them live several years ago).

I heard that Pete Townsend had a "wardrobe malfunction" but didn't hear what it was. Whatever it was, it will never be as good as Janet's, it might have actually scared some people, lol, but just curious what it was.

Last edited by Kodiak; 8th February 2010 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Forgot the wardrobe malfunction question
Old 8th February 2010, 07:44 PM
Extra Super Über UBLoonie

Send a message via MSN to Waltjo

Never could stand them and I still don't

~THE GEMINI DEFECTIVES - DON'T COME TO US FOR ADVICE!!!!~
Old 8th February 2010, 07:49 PM
UB40 Fan

Default lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjo View Post
never could stand them And i still don't
here here well said