Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 19th February 2014, 07:49 PM
Über UBLoonie

...Kermit the frog with a head cold ....LOL!
love
chris xxx
Old 20th February 2014, 01:04 AM
UBloonie

UB40 have never advertised that "UB40: featuring Dunx, Robin, Brian, Jimmy, Earl, Norman, etc........" however, the other side has felt the need to do just that, perhaps because when fans think of "UB40" they think of UB40; NOT of ex-members, and they want to redirect the attention to their site to sell tickets and not to UB40.

pathetic.

But I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Old 20th February 2014, 02:29 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old loonie View Post
As i have said many times before,Ali the voice of early 80s was one of a kind, so i presume as the band got bigger then so would the drinking plus the screaming and drunken shouting which would then cause a croaky not so soulful voice and the steady deteriation of the once golden voice who sadly now sounds very croaky not silky. Just my take on it not actual events but provably not far off

You're pretty much spot on there OL. That's exactly how it went.

Success came really quickly, and it grew over a long sustained period.

For a gang of working class lads from brum it was like winning the lottery, your birthday, Christmas, carnival and the best party ever, all rolled into one and multiplied by about a ZILLION !!!!

Luckily, because the relationships had already been set,to some degree, because most of us knew each other a long time before the band started, when band members started acting like spoiled pop stars someone would say "why are you behaving this way? You never used to act like that !" Nothing too specific, but the locker room banter would bring each other down to earth.

Being the youngest, aldi would be the most susceptible to it. He would be the most likely to behave like a member of spinal tap. He hated having the mickey taken out of him. But that's what happens with a gang of lads, you have to give and take. Aldi could dish it out, particularly when he had a few sherbets, but he couldn't handle it when he was on the receiving end. He'd throw his toys out of his pram and go on a bender.

In the end aldi got just a bit too carried away with the whole pop star thing. So over the years he removed himself from any steadying influences. He ended up hanging out with strangers and low-life's. Enablers that would let him play the pop star 24/7. And of course, let him drink himself into unconsciousness. If you remember, a couple of years after the split, aldi did an interview when he actually said that his only mate was his driver.

While the rest of the band still managed to maintain fairly healthy relationships with their families and old mates from brum, aldi turned his back on all that for what he had convinced himself was bigger and better things (ub40 record sales had peaked with promises and lies, and had been in decline since then. As happens with all bands). He saw his old bandmates as a liability. Sharing everything equally was ok while we were earning millions, but when things got a bit tighter and spending had to be reigned in, he started to resent his old bandmates and wanted to have it all for himself.

That was over 6 years ago, and I think we can all see where this has taken him. Nowhere. His solo career failed to take off, and his old band carried on without him, about to embark on new tour with his brother Duncan on lead vocals. He's now so desperate he's trying to steal back the name of his old band. Which only makes him look even more desperate than before.

Being a sentimental type I would normally be a bit more sympathetic to someone who has had so much bad luck and made such bad decisions. But, considering how vicious aldi has been towards his old bandmates since he left, I think sometimes people get what they deserve.

Last edited by JB40; 20th February 2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 20th February 2014, 02:56 PM
UBloonie

Jim, I once heard that for a long while you and Ali had a hard time even being in the same room with each other, even before he split from the band. Is this true? You don't have to answer if you want, as it's probably too personal...

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 20th February 2014, 04:47 PM
UBloonie

I would probably say there is some truth in it as you can imagine the pop star being told by the drummer to shut the f--k up you egotisticle w--ker probably did not sit too well with our drunken friend. I suppose the truth hurts those that are in denial and i reckon our Jimbob is probably as straight and durect as anyone else in the band
Old 20th February 2014, 08:53 PM
Über UBLoonie

just a response to jimbobs post regarding aldis drink problems.. just seen his recent piccis god he looked 4ked with the drink his big belly and bloated face..... look at robin and dunx ...
Old 20th February 2014, 08:57 PM
UBloonie

Not trying to make fun of Ali's weight, because I'm not a small man myself....but the 2014 version of Ali looks like he ate the 1980 version!

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 20th February 2014, 09:06 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GefferyMorgan View Post
Not trying to make fun of Ali's weight, because I'm not a small man myself....but the 2014 version of Ali looks like he ate the 1980 version!

Plus a shipping container full of pies
Old 20th February 2014, 09:34 PM
UB40 Fan

Have you seen/spoken to mickey lately jim?

Email: carlislerasta@gmail.com

Youtube: systemvirtue
Old 21st February 2014, 01:19 PM
UBloonie

I only ever met Aldi once, it was 20 odd years ago when I was drinking underage in Billys Bar in Digbeth, he was holding court in the back bar with a couple of people, he was very obliviously (no mistake) off his head. Me and my mates were abit scared to approach him as he looked like he was going too kick off but we said hello and left him to it and got on the not so late bus home so that we could pretend to our respective parents we hadnt been anywhere we shouldnt have been.
Ive since met the rest of the band and found you all very approachable and very down to earth, there isnt any barriers and certainly no diva behaviour displayed. It refershing to see that from people who have had so much fame and adulation over the years.
One thing I always loved about the group is the fact you are all so down to earth and not "starry", I remember reading an interview from you lot in Q mag many moons ago (I think it was during the Promises and lies tour) where you said that the first time you went to the USA and walked through central park at night no muggers or low lives tried to mug or do anything worse to you. The interviewer asked why, one of you replied "because we look like low lives and muggers ourselves", that always made me swell with Brummy pride.

Aldi has totally lost all perspective with the drinking and drugs. Ive had several drinking problems in the past where I would be out 24/7 and Ive damaged some friendships and upset alot of people whilst doing it, I was never a monster (im not an aggressive drunk) but I became unreliable and my lies to cover up the fact I was boozing so much engulfed me, I couldnt remember from one day to the next what or who I had spoken too.

It got so bad that a very good friend of mine wouldnt return my phonecalls and refused to have anything to do with me for 2 years, I met him quite by accident one day when I was soberish and he gave me a damn good talking too, told me about the hurt I was causing people, about the train wreck I was becoming and he said that you need to turn things around.
So I did, it was a gradual process having to start again with the people I knew, but 10 or so years later I think im in a healthier place with myself and with the friends and family I alienated. Im not saying time is going to heal this one, but I understand from Aldis perspective hes probably told so many lies and spun so much shite that he cant see a way back and keeps heaping lie on lie, trouble is, he probably believes it as the truth as he hasnt had a good friend to sit down and tell him that he is on course to oblivion.