Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 18th February 2014, 07:42 PM
UB40 Band Member

Yes Tom.

Aldi can only manage one or two gigs in the UK. And he can't even sells those out, and that's in his own home town, Birmingham.

Contrast that with UB40s THIRD tour since aldi left. Nearly THIRTY dates coming up starting in March, looks like the whole tour will be sold out, and more British dates to come because of the demand.

You can see why our ex singer has gone to such extremes to try and lie and con his way to clawing back some of the good will fans have shown to UB40 since the split.

"Let the fans decide"

The fans made their minds up a long time ago, and they don't look they are going to change their minds any time soon.

Aldi is a spent force, he just comes across as desperate.
Old 18th February 2014, 08:00 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post
Yes Tom.

Aldi can only manage one or two gigs in the UK. And he can't even sells those out, and that's in his own home town, Birmingham.

Contrast that with UB40s THIRD tour since aldi left. Nearly THIRTY dates coming up starting in March, looks like the whole tour will be sold out, and more British dates to come because of the demand.

You can see why our ex singer has gone to such extremes to try and lie and con his way to clawing back some of the good will fans have shown to UB40 since the split.

"Let the fans decide"

The fans made their minds up a long time ago, and they don't look they are going to change their minds any time soon.

Aldi is a spent force, he just comes across as desperate.
Can't wait,see you in Nottingham.

Disgusted you aren't coming across the Severn though,I know how the yanks feel now.
Old 18th February 2014, 08:16 PM
UBloonie

Jim, has Ali always had this pompous jackass personality or is this just the new him?

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 18th February 2014, 09:56 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GefferyMorgan View Post
Jim, has Ali always had this pompous jackass personality or is this just the new him?
He was always hard to talk to wheraes
s the rest of the guys always had time for a chat. Egotistical
Old 18th February 2014, 09:59 PM
UB40 Band Member

Yes GM.

He was always a bit of a tw@t. Mainly because of his drinking habits. He was one of those nasty drunks that liked to go around upsetting people. He could be really disruptive when we were trying to work, and obviously gigs were a bit of a nightmare sometimes. Some nights he could hardly stand upright, and his voice would be shot because of some screaming drunken row he'd had the night before (usually completely forgotten the next day). It got to the point that we had to employ a minder to keep him out of trouble, the band just didn't want to deal with it any more. Recording would suffer too, too much booze means you lose your judgment. We would sometimes have to wait till he fell asleep in the corner before we could get any work done.
Old 18th February 2014, 10:56 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnybethinflorida View Post
Making dig after dig, an obvious attempt to get up your collective noses, directing a shot at BT from his former friend. Making it sound like the original 5 were the ones who walked away...

My absolute disgust with these negative comments means that I cannot listen to the ex-singer's voice post-UB40 years. Instead of promoting himself and being a confident musician looking to the future, he has used it as a destructive wedge to fracture communities of friends and fans of the band. I personally cannot separate his singing voice from the actions and reactions of his speaking voice, and the verbal diarrhea that spills from his mouth. And I truly do not understand the fans that overlook his betrayal and continue to support "the voice of". I think most of them are living in the past, remembering the cheeky little fella that they saw singing in front of the best reggae band out of England. Too bad he is long gone.

I am too steamed up to continue---I hope this goes before a judge as soon as possible. He and his team need to be muzzled, fined, and publicly shamed for what they have done.

(not so)SunnyBeth
Very well put, couldnt have said it better myself
Old 18th February 2014, 11:25 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post
Yes GM.

He was always a bit of a tw@t. Mainly because of his drinking habits. He was one of those nasty drunks that liked to go around upsetting people. He could be really disruptive when we were trying to work, and obviously gigs were a bit of a nightmare sometimes. Some nights he could hardly stand upright, and his voice would be shot because of some screaming drunken row he'd had the night before (usually completely forgotten the next day). It got to the point that we had to employ a minder to keep him out of trouble, the band just didn't want to deal with it any more. Recording would suffer too, too much booze means you lose your judgment. We would sometimes have to wait till he fell asleep in the corner before we could get any work done.
Surprised ub40 did'nt sack him, i would be dissmissed instantly for being drunk. What a waster
Old 18th February 2014, 11:31 PM
UBloonie

As i have said many times before,Ali the voice of early 80s was one of a kind, so i presume as the band got bigger then so would the drinking plus the screaming and drunken shouting which would then cause a croaky not so soulful voice and the steady deteriation of the once golden voice who sadly now sounds very croaky not silky. Just my take on it not actual events but provably not far off
Old 18th February 2014, 11:34 PM
UBloonie

Oh well we got a soulful smooth silky voice in Dunc. Just cant stop listening to him singing Signing off. Wow
Old 19th February 2014, 04:21 AM
UBloonie

Thanks Jim and OL for your replies. I kinda suspected those things about Ali. One of my favorite UB40 albums is LOL3, but I remember seeing the band on TV in 1999 playing Hard Rock Live in New York and knew something bad was up with Ali. He looked so drunk during the gig...like he could hardly stand up, and his voice wasn't right. He sounded like Kermit the Frog with a head cold. That's the only way I know to describe it. That was when I first started thinking, "oh boy, he's got a problem..."

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'