Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 11th February 2014, 10:35 PM
UBloonie

I try to separate the music from what's going on behind the scenes. But it is difficult. Ali runs his mouth so much that he's really alienating everybody...including his own fans. He can say all he wants, but one thing he cannot say is that he has EVER taken time out of his schedule to talk with his fans like UB40 do. Jimmy, you and Brian and Pikey come on here so much and talk to us like we're one of you all. You actually treat us like people who deserve your attention, rather than like lemmings who don't have time to talk to....like Ali does. To me, that speaks volumes. It is about the music in a big way, sure....but more importantly, when people go to the shops or they go to iTunes or wherever they buy their music. Their decision is ultimately going to be based on the question of: "how does this artist treat his/her/their fans?" That's why, even though I might like some of Ali's music....it's becoming harder to listen to it every day. Because UB40 are more than just a band....they are a group of average Joes who happen to be famous....and they treat their fans with the respect that they deserve! Unlike "the artist formerly known as Ali Campbell."

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 12th February 2014, 12:25 AM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GefferyMorgan View Post
I try to separate the music from what's going on behind the scenes. But it is difficult. Ali runs his mouth so much that he's really alienating everybody...including his own fans. He can say all he wants, but one thing he cannot say is that he has EVER taken time out of his schedule to talk with his fans like UB40 do. Jimmy, you and Brian and Pikey come on here so much and talk to us like we're one of you all. You actually treat us like people who deserve your attention, rather than like lemmings who don't have time to talk to....like Ali does. To me, that speaks volumes. It is about the music in a big way, sure....but more importantly, when people go to the shops or they go to iTunes or wherever they buy their music. Their decision is ultimately going to be based on the question of: "how does this artist treat his/her/their fans?" That's why, even though I might like some of Ali's music....it's becoming harder to listen to it every day. Because UB40 are more than just a band....they are a group of average Joes who happen to be famous....and they treat their fans with the respect that they deserve! Unlike "the artist formerly known as Ali Campbell."
Great post.
Old 12th February 2014, 12:49 AM
Super Über UBloonie

Send a message via AIM to Groovy 40 Send a message via MSN to Groovy 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post
Probably a slip of the tongue, he means he was PLANNING it from 2006. Except he forgot to tell his bandmates.
exactly what I was thinking Jimmy

i'm going nowhere & i know i wont be missed!!

Lest We Forget & Remember The 96 15/04/89

25yrs on...finally JFT96 YNWA
Old 12th February 2014, 12:50 AM
Super Über UBloonie

Send a message via AIM to Groovy 40 Send a message via MSN to Groovy 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondda rudie View Post
Great post.
what he said

i'm going nowhere & i know i wont be missed!!

Lest We Forget & Remember The 96 15/04/89

25yrs on...finally JFT96 YNWA
Old 13th February 2014, 10:29 AM
UBloonie

Quote:
I agree with this post 110%. His actions now are just beyond believe

YOU KNOW WHEN YOU’VE BEEN TANGO’D

I am a Loonie once more!!!!!
Old 17th February 2014, 08:45 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamBig View Post
Here you go vanilla face

LOL had to laugh when the intro said 'Welcome to Pointless Celebrities' says it all really
Old 17th February 2014, 09:42 PM
UBloonie

This morning, we saw part UB40 concert from 1983 on YouTube that opened with the brilliant track Nkomo A Go Go. We hadn't seen this one before and it's always nice to have a look at a UB40 show never seen. The whole concert was highly enjoyable and beautiful at times. Everyone in the band looks happy too. Who could have imagined the drama, betrayals and chaos going on these past few years and especially now. Very sure they never imagined it way back then. Thinking about it is hard and sad, but when we look back at these shows and get lost in the grooves and all the singular UB40 elements, then momentarily the bad stuff of the present seems to go away. As for this "Reggae Music" tune, not really feeling it, it's just ok, and not happy about how it seems to be an attempt to try and compete head to head with UB40's original. Not sure what's the point and hoping to not see this "us vs. them, who's reggae is more authentic" sort of thing. And The way the 3 guys upcoming South African show has been advertised is very, very uncool. Would hate to see something similar to what's happened with The Wailers vs. The "Original" Wailers bands. In any case, nothing beats the original sound of UB40 which thankfully is still very much intact, alive and well. It's the sound that I'm hoping will hit the shores of the USA sometime very soon.
Peace,
Bagga....
Old 18th February 2014, 08:57 AM
UBloonie

At least you guys know that the fraud ub40 wont go to USA cos Astro wont be allowed in shame
Old 18th February 2014, 11:00 AM
UBloonie

Isn't it a bit late for Ali to say "let the fans decide"? If only he'd have said that back when he first left the band! But no...he decided to run his mouth for several years and then when he realizes he's fighting a losing battle he decides to leave it up to the fans? Haha...I think he doesn't realize that THE FANS HAVE ALREADY DECIDED! Check the fact that he's had to cancel tour date after tour date for various different phony reasons, and this year he is scheduled to play a few hotels, a pier, a flashback festival and a botanical garden, while the REAL UB40 have sold out several of their 30 tour dates for this year already. So yeah....the fans are already speaking loudly....and as usual, Ali has turned a deaf ear. He appears to only be listening to himself...

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 18th February 2014, 07:27 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Isn't it a bit late for Ali to say "let the fans decide"? If only he'd have said that back when he first left the band! But no...he decided to run his mouth for several years and then when he realizes he's fighting a losing battle he decides to leave it up to the fans? Haha...I think he doesn't realize that THE FANS HAVE ALREADY DECIDED! Check the fact that he's had to cancel tour date after tour date for various different phony reasons, and this year he is scheduled to play a few hotels, a pier, a flashback festival and a botanical garden, while the REAL UB40 have sold out several of their 30 tour dates for this year already. So yeah....the fans are already speaking loudly....and as usual, Ali has turned a deaf ear. He appears to only be listening to himself...
Spot on.The fans decided in 2008 when he had to cancel his first solo tour.Excluding festivals he can't get more than one UK gig per year.