Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 8th February 2014, 11:41 AM
UB40 Band Member

Exactly Bruno.

That's why aldi's claim that he wants to "protect the bands heritage" is so laughable.

Since he left the band he has been nothing but destructive. To himself, and, if he had his way, towards the band too.

When he first resigned I remember several interviews when he said he had been unhappy in the band "for years". I also remember an interview when he said signing off was a crap album and he was embarrassed when we re-released it.

So I'm finding it difficult to work out exactly which part of our heritage he thinks he's protecting.

That's why real fans of the band are so rightly angry.

All that negativity is what has given him the nickname the "Gerald ratner of reggae".
Old 8th February 2014, 01:50 PM
UBloonie

That faux jamaican accent is pathetic also i could never listen to him singing early ub stuff as he has list his natural tone to this nasally put on accent that just grates on me
Old 9th February 2014, 10:01 PM
UBloonie

it's not bad, astro sounds great and great bass and horns! the problem is the structure, it doesn't go anywhere
Old 9th February 2014, 10:07 PM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by npg View Post
it's not bad, astro sounds great and great bass and horns! the problem is the structure, it doesn't go anywhere
Agree about astro, but cannot agree about the bass and horns.

Also, the actual music aside, I'd be interested to know your thoughts on his use of the name 'UB40'?

Last edited by DreamBig; 9th February 2014 at 10:16 PM.
Old 9th February 2014, 11:34 PM
UBloonie

i didnt hear it till it was posted here but was aware of it but wasnt bothered to bring it up as no matter what they do musically now means nothing..........to me, its actually funny as i mentioned that if they sang REGGAE MUSIC it would be hypercritical considering everything & boom thats when i got banned from there FB page & 3 or4 days later they post there new music i must have hit a soft spot lol, anyway i listened once & thats it dont feel like giving an opinon just looking forward to UB40 GIGS IN DUBLIN NEXT MONTH & FUTURE UB MUSIC......
Old 10th February 2014, 12:56 AM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamBig View Post
Agree about astro, but cannot agree about the bass and horns.

Also, the actual music aside, I'd be interested to know your thoughts on his use of the name 'UB40'?
Silly and confusing! We cant have 2 bands with the same name, maybe he should call it Ali's UB40, although that doesn't really work. I dunno, it's all getting a bit silly all this two sides stuff, i'm just focusing on the music now, if we're getting two lots of cracking music i'll be happy enough
Old 10th February 2014, 11:22 AM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post
Exactly Bruno.

That's why aldi's claim that he wants to "protect the bands heritage" is so laughable.

Since he left the band he has been nothing but destructive. To himself, and, if he had his way, towards the band too.

When he first resigned I remember several interviews when he said he had been unhappy in the band "for years". I also remember an interview when he said signing off was a crap album and he was embarrassed when we re-released it.

So I'm finding it difficult to work out exactly which part of our heritage he thinks he's protecting.

That's why real fans of the band are so rightly angry.

All that negativity is what has given him the nickname the "Gerald ratner of reggae".

So let me get this straight....hes slating the band's very first album? If it weren't for Signing Off, the rest of the band's career may have never happened! So it obviously wasn't a bad album....and it's ludicrous to hear about him cutting down the very springboard that launched the band to fame. He's a nutcase.

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 10th February 2014, 01:03 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by npg View Post
Silly and confusing! We cant have 2 bands with the same name, maybe he should call it Ali's UB40, although that doesn't really work. I dunno, it's all getting a bit silly all this two sides stuff, i'm just focusing on the music now, if we're getting two lots of cracking music i'll be happy enough
Ali gave loads of interviews when he left stressing how relieved he was to be leaving UB40.By doing so he lost all moral,and probably legal.right to use the name.The quality of this track is irrelevant.It should not be released under the UB40 name.
Old 10th February 2014, 01:45 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondda rudie View Post
Ali gave loads of interviews when he left stressing how relieved he was to be leaving UB40.By doing so he lost all moral,and probably legal.right to use the name.The quality of this track is irrelevant.It should not be released under the UB40 name.
As usual I agree with Tom…

What gets me, is that news reporters and the general public seem to place no emphasis on “morals”, after all that’s what we are talking about here. They seem un-interested in the fact that UB40 is actually a business and lives are being effected by what is quite simply illegal practise. That said, corporate law in this country stinks BUT, it all comes out in the end…

Let me give you a scenario.

Jon and Sue are childhood sweethearts, they get married and have a baby, named Jenny. Jon goes out to work and Sue stays home and takes care of the child and the home, so shared responsibilities.

After 5 years, Sue has an affair and walks out on the family for pastures new, leaving Jon and Jenny behind. To make matters worse, Sue slanders their relationship in public and tells the world that she never wants anything to do with them again, as it was “like pulling teeth”.

In the mean time, Jon quickly falls in love and re-marries; so all is well back at the family home, although, Sue continues to slander he family publicly.
Then, 5 years on, Sue re-emerges after a failed relationship, walks back in to the home and kidnaps Jenny, having not spoken with her for years.

Now, my question is, how would the media and the general public react to this?

Who would be in the right, and who would be in the wrong? Because unless I’m mistaken, we have a very similar scenario on our hands with UB40???
You might think I’m over exaggerating here with this example, but I don’t think I am… we are talking about Brothers here, families and friends.

Paul
Old 10th February 2014, 03:16 PM
UB40 Band Member

It's a good point P.

But I'm not sure that the public are as immoral as your suggesting. Aldo's solo career hit the skids almost as soon as he left the band. He had to cancel most of his UK tour, and he hasn't been able to put another tour together since. And because live is where bands make money these days, that's a devastating blow that he hasn't been able to recover from.
In contrast, UB40 are about to embark on our THIRD UK tour since aldi left. This latest one is one of the biggest in years, and looks like being a sell out, with even MORE gigs to come.

And, knowing how much the press love gossip and seeing people airing their dirty washing in public, even they seem to have lost interest in the story.

I think people can see this for what it is. A failed attempt at a solo career.

To most people he comes across as what he is. . . . .desperate.

There are obviously some people around who don't have a moral compass, or at least, they don't apply morals to the artists they support. Fair enough, it's only pop music after all.

But I think the overwhelming majority DO expect certain standards in all parts of life, including music. They can see how untrustworthy our ex singer is with his lies and contradictions and give him a wide berth.