Old 15th December 2011, 09:13 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Default Boxing Day

This might not make me very popular but here goes.

Tube staff are set to strike on December 26 in a row over payments for working bank holidays.My first reaction on reading the news was "they shouldn't be working Boxing Day anyway".The vast majority of the rail network closes on the 25th and 26th.Passenger groups have let it be known they would like trains to run on the 26th because of the sales.Well,tough s**t.There are 363 other days in the year available for people to go shopping when trains are running,364 next year.

Now we accept anti social hours as part of the job.90% of the time we are either leaving for work or getting home when everyone else is in bed."If you don't like it get another job I hear you cry" and fair comment.But the 25th and 26th of December are the only days we get off when virtually everyone else is off too.This reminds me of Jimmy's comments about the greater emphasis given to family life on the continent.Shift workers already miss half of the growing up of their kids so is a day off on Boxing Day too much to ask.Wouldn't hurt the shops to give their staff an extra day off either,thus eliminating the demand.

Last edited by rhondda rudie; 15th December 2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 15th December 2011, 09:39 PM
UBloonie

Location: East London and PROUD..(now SLUMMUMING IT in Essex)

mmmmmmmm let me think

ok i have thought

i think there should be a skeleton staff on transport as there are a lot of people without access to a car
but i do think
like cabbies
it should be double bubble on wages for the transport workers

i think there would be plenty volenteers (spell check from FI coming) to work if it was reflected in thier pay

if that means paying a little extra on a ticket for a bus or tube so be it

i just hate the thought that these people hold the regular Joe to ransom
Old 15th December 2011, 09:49 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean M View Post
mmmmmmmm let me think

ok i have thought

i think there should be a skeleton staff on transport as there are a lot of people without access to a car
but i do think
like cabbies
it should be double bubble on wages for the transport workers

i think there would be plenty volenteers (spell check from FI coming) to work if it was reflected in thier pay

if that means paying a little extra on a ticket for a bus or tube so be it

i just hate the thought that these people hold the regular Joe to ransom
Wouldn't have any objection to that Dean.A skeleton staff,mostly drivers and maintenance staff do work on the 25th and 26th on a voluntary basis and you're right,it's double time and there's never any shortage of takers.Perhaps most areas could run a Sunday service with volunteers,just think there shouldn't be any element of compulsion.
Old 15th December 2011, 09:51 PM
UB40 Band Member

if people are complaining that the railworkers are stopping them getting to the sales, then surely it's the regular joes that are holding the workers to ransom dean.

maybe the railworkers would like to go to the sales too.

It's fkn BOXING day fgs.

I remember when you couldn't get around on a sunday, now sunday is like any other day of the week.

At christmas, most people want to be with their family's, that probably includes railworkers too.
Old 15th December 2011, 09:58 PM
UBloonie

I could be wrong here Tom, but aren't 'they' asking for TRIPLE pay AND a day off in lieu for working on Boxing Day? Sounds a bit excessive to me. I'm all for the average working man getting a decent wage, but TRIPLE pay??? Doctors, nurses, paramedics and the police all have to work 365 days of the year and many won't have the opportunity to enjoy Christmas day with their families, let alone Boxing Day. Will they get the benefit of TRIPLE pay as a result? I'm not so sure that they would.

Yes, tube drivers and underground workers should receive extra for working on Boxing Day, no doubt about it, but if they are demanding TRIPLE pay then that's just a little over the top for me.
Old 15th December 2011, 10:05 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Warrior View Post
I could be wrong here Tom, but aren't 'they' asking for TRIPLE pay AND a day off in lieu for working on Boxing Day? Sounds a bit excessive to me. I'm all for the average working man getting a decent wage, but TRIPLE pay??? Doctors, nurses, paramedics and the police all have to work 365 days of the year and many won't have the opportunity to enjoy Christmas day with their families, let alone Boxing Day. Will they get the benefit of TRIPLE pay as a result? I'm not so sure that they would.

Yes, tube drivers and underground workers should receive extra for working on Boxing Day, no doubt about it, but if they are demanding TRIPLE pay then that's just a little over the top for me.
As I said in my original post I'm surprised they're working at all Kelv as most rail networks close down until the 27th.If I was the union official I'd be more interested in getting more staff the day off than getting more pay.If they are going to work I think double time is sufficent.
Old 15th December 2011, 10:06 PM
UB40 Band Member

doctors, nurses, paramedics etc are EMERGENCY services. That comes with the territory, they know that when they sign up for the job.

they don't need to keep the trains running.

that's why I mentioned sunday's.

I remember when hardly anything moved on a sunday, that was how it was, and people dealt with it.

and, as far as i'm concerned, I think you should get double-time at weekends, and triple time on bank holiday's and christmas.
Old 15th December 2011, 10:06 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post
if people are complaining that the railworkers are stopping them getting to the sales, then surely it's the regular joes that are holding the workers to ransom dean.

It's fkn BOXING day fgs.

I remember when you couldn't get around on a sunday, now sunday is like any other day of the week.

At christmas, most people want to be with their family's, that probably includes railworkers too.
Thanks for the solidarity comrade.
Old 15th December 2011, 10:11 PM
UB40 Band Member

your welcome comrade.

another thing to remember is, even though the rail company's have put UP most fares. Executives and shareholders have been awarding themselves bumper bonuses and dividends. there's plenty of profit being taken out of the railways. If the owners want to run a better service, then they can afford to pay decent money.

as they say, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

if you want skilled workers, then pay 'em for it.
Old 15th December 2011, 10:13 PM
UBloonie

Location: East London and PROUD..(now SLUMMUMING IT in Essex)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post

It's fkn BOXING day fgs.

i think you are missing my point
forget the sales
there are a lot of people that dont have cars and rely on public transport

personally i think all shops should be shut on Xmas day Boxing day and Easter Sunday as these should be family days ....but people do need transport..hence we/they should pay a little extra for for the service for thoughs that are needed to work

what really gets my back up is that pratt Bob Crow with his stike threat during the Olympics ..the guy is a parasite....wow..transport is needed..so he threatens strikes..
most people in Newham dont want the Olympics and need the transport to get on with everyday life..he is holding us to ransom