Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 10th February 2013, 05:51 PM
UBloonie

Default Reggae at Grammy Awards Tonight....

We just read that there will be a Bob Marley Tribute at tonight's Grammy Awards Ceremony with Sting, Rihanna and maybe some of the Marley Family. Might be interesting to see.

Also Tonight's Reggae Award Nominees:
Jimmy Cliff - Rebirth
The Original Wailers - Miracle
Sean Paul - Tomahawk Technique
Sly & Robbie & The Jam Masters - New Legend - Jamaica 50th Edition
Toots And The Maytals - Reggae Got Soul: Unplugged On Strawberry Hill

Really would love to see the British Reggae Industry Awards.

Peace,
Bagga & Jolene
Old 11th February 2013, 01:31 AM
UBloonie

Watching the Grammys now. Also saw Ziggy Marley being interviewed on the red carpet. And they played a bit of Could You Be Loved by Bob during the 'coming soon' part. Good to see reggae get some exposure on national television!

Joris
Old 11th February 2013, 03:19 AM
UBloonie

Pretty cool! Just saw the performance with Bruno Mars, Sting, Rhianna and the Marley bros. Wished they played more Bob Marley songs but great exposure on national tv.

Joris
Old 11th February 2013, 02:32 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorisJ View Post
Pretty cool! Just saw the performance with Bruno Mars, Sting, Rhianna and the Marley bros. Wished they played more Bob Marley songs but great exposure on national tv.

Joris
It was a nice tribute, albeit short. I think Bruno Mars is a very talented musician and singer, as is Sting, so it was a good mix and they did justice to the tribute. The Marley brothers joining in for the last song was a bonus. A few more Marley songs would have made it perfect but I'll still take it. lol
Old 11th February 2013, 10:45 PM
UBloonie

No disrespect to the artists nominated but it always seems to be the same small group of artists that are nominated every year. I'm surprised Stephen Marley isn't there, he'susually nominated every year. It just appears to be reggae artists who are palletable to the American ear. Also how have UB40 consistently been overlooked? Considering the garbage that wins best song and best act I think there's some conspiracy with these awards

Old 12th February 2013, 03:28 AM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
It was a nice tribute, albeit short. I think Bruno Mars is a very talented musician and singer, as is Sting, so it was a good mix and they did justice to the tribute. The Marley brothers joining in for the last song was a bonus. A few more Marley songs would have made it perfect but I'll still take it. lol
To me, it was just ok. Thought LL Cool J did a very nice introduction, setting up what i think should have been more of a proper Marley tribute. Instead, Bruno Mars sings a hit song from his new album, followed by Sting's singing Walking On The Moon. Though well played, it seemed like a distraction and disconnect from anything having to do with Marley's legacy, in spite of their affection for Reggae and Marley. I agree that instead a couple more Marley songs would have been more fitting for the tribute.

Now, on it's own, separate from the tribute, I think Bruno and Sting would have been just fine and it was a very good performance of the two songs. They took up a lot of time before finally, Could You Be Loved was played. Rihanna did not look comfortable in the song and thankfully, when Ziggy and especially Damien Marley came on stage, the crowd seemed to be energized.
Wouldn't it have been better or more interesting to have the tribute sung not only by the Marley's, but perhaps by other Reggae artists, including Jimmy Cliff who won the award for Best Reggae Album and was present. And again, they didn't broadcast the Reggae Grammy award being given. His album and tour was a HUGE achievement that carries so much of the history of the music. Reggae deserves not only multiple categories, but it's own well deserved place in this prestigious award ceremony.
There are Latin Grammy's, Country Music Awards and so on broadcast nationally/internationally. How about one for Reggae and Caribbean & Island Music?

Peace,
Bagga....
Old 12th February 2013, 02:46 PM
UBloonie

Reggae has always been excluded from the "Prime Time" slots, it is a shame. At least it got recognised last night.

Stevie 2fingerz
Old 12th February 2013, 04:32 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggariddim View Post
Wouldn't it have been better or more interesting to have the tribute sung not only by the Marley's, but perhaps by other Reggae artists, including Jimmy Cliff who won the award for Best Reggae Album and was present. And again, they didn't broadcast the Reggae Grammy award being given. His album and tour was a HUGE achievement that carries so much of the history of the music. Reggae deserves not only multiple categories, but it's own well deserved place in this prestigious award ceremony.
There are Latin Grammy's, Country Music Awards and so on broadcast nationally/internationally. How about one for Reggae and Caribbean & Island Music?

Peace,
Bagga....
I agree that it would have definitely been better if reggae artists sang the tribute as opposed to Bruno Mars and Sting. I think the problem is is that the people behind these awards don't feel like reggae is mainstream enough to get reggae artists, who they fear no one will have heard of, to sing. They can't even be bothered to put the awarding of a reggae award on the primetime show. I guess its a matter of settling for whatever "reggae" acknowledgement I can get. And in this case, if it takes a long time and well respected mainstream artist, and an very popular newer artist to contribute to a Bob Marley tribute, I'll take it. Better than nothing.

And I would definitely love to see an awards show dedicated to Reggae/ Carribbean/Island music. Doubt it will happen though - again not "mainstream" enough. It would be a hard sell outside of the Carribbean. Too bad, because alot of modern music stems from Carribbean based music.
Old 24th February 2013, 02:16 PM
Über UBLoonie

I don't think the ubs' are likely to ever get much recognition for services to reggae music, I don't think that's right but it's the way things are. We all know ub40 are a reggae band, but go into any record shop( while they're still open) around the world and ub40 albums will usually be in the pop/rock section never the reggae section, I think the main problem is that people within music don't really comprehend reggae, they assume its only Jamaican. Stuff like Marley, toots u-Roy. etc etc and there's a blinkered view that only people from Jamaica can make proper reggae because that's where it originated, but look at the sport football, it originated in the uk and now it's a world wide phenomenon, now has anyone told Lionel messi, kaka, zlatan ibrohimobic they're not doing that right because they don't come from the country where it originated?
And apart from anything else, I doubt ub40 care what industry insiders think, it's the fans who buy the material and support them whose opinion really counts, awards , prestige etc etc are largely meaningless, real support from people who know and appreciate your music mean I imagine so much more
Old 27th February 2013, 07:18 PM
UB40 Fan

Send a message via MSN to streppel

It was a great tribute!! My daughter is playing it over and over again, on youtube...
Love it!

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Album-WAMENV67- Picture's of UB40 28-11-07 Rotterdam Ahoy