Old 10th February 2014, 08:27 PM
UB40 Band Member

Default Bloody foreigners.

The recent floods in Somerset have seen some politicians like golf club boor Nigel farrage of UKRAP fame to suggest that we should be redirecting foreign aid to help out the English suffering from these terrible floods first.

I say this.

In recent floods in the Philippines over 5,000 people died, the country was devastated and crops destroyed. Leading to a shortage of food for hundreds of thousands of people.

In the recent floods in Somerset, the death toll was. . . .er. . . .ZERO ! But a couple of range rovers did get washed away, good job they were insured.

Is it right that money should be taken away from desperate people who need it to stay alive, and give it to bunch of middle class Brits who happen to live on a picturesque flood plane.??????
Old 10th February 2014, 09:59 PM
▄ber UBLoonie

People are people. Doesn't matter where they live. I don't agree with the whole 'charity starts at home' sentiment. This is why I hate nationalism and even patriotism to an extent. In my mind, 'countries' are nothing but a useful way to organise the world we live in.
Old 10th February 2014, 11:37 PM
Super ▄ber UBloonie

Let me start by saying I wouldn't wish a flooded house on anyone.

I can't help noticing,though,that virtually all the current flooding in Somerset and the Thames Valley is happening in solid tory seats.The government cut the Environment Agency's budget by 25% which led to many redundancies.So many of the people who would have been available to help are now signing on ore doing something else.Shows you should be careful what you vote for.

Agree totally with your point on foreign aid Jimmy.The people suggesting switching the money are those who don't like foreign aid full stop,flooding or no flooding.
Old 11th February 2014, 02:22 AM
UBloonie

got to disagree on one point here... its not the agencies fault.
dredging rivers does help a very little bit but costs loads to do.
living just outside of Oxford on the route the Thames takes I have seen first hand the flooding here.
However I think the problem lies in the building of houses on flood plains, and for hat local government is to blame, not the current ones I might add but previous ones who actually let builders build on the flood plains. Where is the water supposed to go other than on the flood plains?
a river a mile wide and 3 miles deeps can still only hold so much water and unfortunately due to climate change we are seeing a lot more rain and snow in the UK and other parts of the world, so other than greedy politicians Man is to blame for all of it. we have polluted the planet we live on and are killing it slowly, and like anything else it will fight back.

Ani
Old 11th February 2014, 08:13 AM
UBloonie

we are not killing the planet, it is arrogant to think humans have such power, in this vast universe, the planet has survived a lot more than anything humans could throw at it,,
we are in fact killing our selves and various lifeforms,

once humans are gone, like the dinosaur, we will be replaced by another form of life...

at the end of the day, nature always wins, regardless what landmass people live on,
humans have always lived in dangerous places, such as the foot of volcanoes, and rivers etc as the land in this areas are more furtile...
and isnt the fact that zero people died a good thing???
the sad events in the phillipines, are indeed horrible, but the reason so many people died is because those countrys are massively overpopulated, the more people live in a place, the chances are more people will die...just basic maths.
Old 11th February 2014, 05:02 PM
UB40 Band Member

Maybe I should elaborate.

They call England the "green and pleasant land". And there's a good reason for that. We live in the path of the Gulf Stream which means our weather stays within a fairly narrow band. Even though we are situated well north of the equator, on a similar latitude to Moscow, we don't suffer the freezing weather of the Russian capital, thanks to the warm water that surrounds us during winter.

Obviously, climate change means that we will experience extreme weather events more often in the future, but it's all relative.

The recent storms in the South of England May have been damaging to property, but no one has lost their lives. And the lives of the people living in those areas aren't likely to be under any meaningful threat any time soon.

In the Philippines, a combination of extreme weather events, poverty and inadequate infrastructure have conspired to cause the deaths of THOUSANDS of people. It's got nothing to do with over population, it's to do with the fact that some places have worse weather than others. And foreign aid is there specifically in many places to try and help victims who live in isolated rural areas, not packed in to big cities. It's literally life or death for these people.

Which is why I find it so objectionable that the Nigel farages of this world are so happy to cut off aid to some of the most desperate people in the world, just so they compensate mr and mrs riverside view for the loss of their antique sideboard.
Old 11th February 2014, 05:54 PM
▄ber UBLoonie

Foreign aid is far less than a lot of people are actually aware, I believe it's 1% or maybe lower
Old 11th February 2014, 08:07 PM
UB40 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamBig View Post
People are people. Doesn't matter where they live. I don't agree with the whole 'charity starts at home' sentiment. This is why I hate nationalism and even patriotism to an extent. In my mind, 'countries' are nothing but a useful way to organise the world we live in.
Well said
Old 12th February 2014, 01:41 AM
UBloonie

I agree with what your saying about aid JB, but anyone who thinks humans are not killing the planet must be na´ve. you cannot tell me the planet would have created all the pollution we have, created weapons of mass destruction and used them, created nuclear reactors which have leaked? Chernobyl is a prime example of polluting the planet by man, the Japanese reactors which are still contaminating the planet, the yanks for Hiroshima, the industrial revolution, War, cars planes trains... need I go on?
yes the planet may go through cycles ie the ice age and volcanic eruptions but one cycle it would never have gone through but for man, is pollution. and as for the gigantic universe we are even managing to pollute out there too, satellite's, space stations and space craft or bits of them.....

Ani
Old 12th February 2014, 08:43 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANiMALicious View Post
I agree with what your saying about aid JB, but anyone who thinks humans are not killing the planet must be na´ve. you cannot tell me the planet would have created all the pollution we have, created weapons of mass destruction and used them, created nuclear reactors which have leaked? Chernobyl is a prime example of polluting the planet by man, the Japanese reactors which are still contaminating the planet, the yanks for Hiroshima, the industrial revolution, War, cars planes trains... need I go on?
yes the planet may go through cycles ie the ice age and volcanic eruptions but one cycle it would never have gone through but for man, is pollution. and as for the gigantic universe we are even managing to pollute out there too, satellite's, space stations and space craft or bits of them.....

Ani

the universe is far bigger than you could imagine, our galaxy alone consists of about 100- 400 billion stars, the nearest to our star being Proxima Centauri which is about 4 light years away, or 23,462,784,000,000 miles away, not to mention the infinate number of planets around those stars and other galaxies in existance, so as for humans polluting it with their space junk, that is nonsense. and not forgeting the super volconoes that have spewed out its poisons over the planet in the past, poisoning the planet for 100,000's of years,
and the asteroid that caused the extiction of the dinosaurs lasted over 66 million year period...

ps/ a trip to the nearest star travelling at 50,000 mph,would take about 53,000 years to get there.

Last edited by MrGhost-F.G.E; 12th February 2014 at 08:52 PM.