Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 3rd September 2013, 09:49 PM
UB40 Fan

Default About Duncan, I have to say....

The man has really come into his own on this new album.

I don't know who came up with the idea of doing a country themed record, but IMO this was a minor stroke of genius as the tone of the album suits Dunc and his style perfectly - I think he's an authentic blues man and this is probably the most soulful album UB40 have ever made.

Can't wait to see what comes next. I hope UB40 stick to the slightly slower more downbeat (I hate that word but can't think of another) tone of GOTS, whether they do the country thing again or not, as I think it's really bringing out the best in Dunc and is a really invigorating left turn for the band.

Funny how people like to debate whether Dunc is suited to singing songs that Ali used to sing..... but now I couldn't imagine Ali pulling off Blue Billet Doux or frankly most of the new record. Not that I'm slating Ali or anything, it's just that the styles are different, and I think Duncan deserves massive respect for the way he has stepped forward here, and kudos to UB40 for being smart enough to play to his strengths.

Happy days
Old 3rd September 2013, 09:59 PM
UBloonie

Exactamundo!!!

Amen to that.
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:09 PM
Über UBLoonie

Agree. I think he sounds similar to his father in this album and it suits him perfectly.

Also there's something about Robin on He'll Have To Go. Every time I hear that man sing, he has a class that not many singers have. I don't know why, but I'm reminded of Frank Sinatra every time I hear Robin sing.
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:28 PM
UBloonie

I like the production on the vocals on this album. Clean, clear, to the fore and minimal use of delay at the end of a line. Just on Midnight Rider, I think? There's a (seemingly) conscious effort to have these wonderful lyrics heard on this record. Works for me.

Still too much tambourine though!
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:53 PM
UBloonie

I have to agree. This style really does suit Duncan very nicely! It's a great change of pace for the band.

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 4th September 2013, 07:58 AM
Über UBLoonie

What can I say about Duncan...((sigh)).......playing this record....ok since 6 a.m....I agree ....with all the above ....and more ....
Old 4th September 2013, 09:34 AM
UBloonie

its brilliant and i can undestand every word. my only very mine critisisim is the over playing of the steel guitar thingy. Robin could play that but on his guitar as with food for thought etc.
on the other hand is brilliant.
Old 4th September 2013, 12:01 PM
UBloonie

I was hoping the next album would go back to an earlier style, dubby and more like Homegrown or Dub Sessions
Old 4th September 2013, 05:30 PM
UB40 Fan

I totally agree, this album is great.

I tell ya what also... On The Other Hand... that song sent shivers down my neck.
I did not expect to much from it. And it was a nice sound and well sung!

Bob on!!
Old 4th September 2013, 05:45 PM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Warrior View Post
I like the production on the vocals on this album. Clean, clear, to the fore and minimal use of delay at the end of a line. Just on Midnight Rider, I think? There's a (seemingly) conscious effort to have these wonderful lyrics heard on this record. Works for me.

Still too much tambourine though!

Astro needs to use his mitts on something when he's not 'the main man at the microphone stand'