Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 11th February 2014, 07:48 AM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by npg View Post
its the bass and horns, i cant help but like it! (i agree, i haven't liked a single solo Ali song)
So npg you say you hav'nt liked one of his solo ttacks yet you like the latest rubbish he has put out , you like it cis of horns and bass? Or because he has called himself ub40? Or because astro has joined him? Or you just love Ali? The whole thing that surrounds him stinks and in my opinion it is total crap. I have lost so much respect for them both that personally would never feel i could listen to him again with or without ub40 he once was a great singer now he is not vocally or morally
Old 11th February 2014, 04:01 PM
UBloonie

cos its catchy and i like the bassline and the horns? there's really nothing more to it, i think people are over analysing me saying i like a song. And his solo stuff was terrible, the worst stuff being that great british songs album.
Old 11th February 2014, 05:15 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Send a message via AIM to Groovy 40 Send a message via MSN to Groovy 40

thats funny......just before he got the very first question wrong he said he left the band in 2006......... so what was he doin in the 2yrs til he DID leave

i'm going nowhere & i know i wont be missed!!

Lest We Forget & Remember The 96 15/04/89

25yrs on...finally JFT96 YNWA
Old 11th February 2014, 05:31 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by npg View Post
cos its catchy and i like the bassline and the horns? there's really nothing more to it, i think people are over analysing me saying i like a song. And his solo stuff was terrible, the worst stuff being that great british songs album.

I think this has thrown up a divide between those that just want to deal with the music and those that find it difficult to listen to the music because of the way aldi has behaved towards UB40.

It's possible that it could be a gender divide, and divided by class too.

For working class boys, one of the most important rules is. . . You DON'T SH-T ON YOUR MATES. Just like you don't grass on your mates either. And aldi and astro have broken both of those fundamental laws. For anyone who understands this sort of culture it's unforgivable. Like abusing kids or mugging a pensioner. It just isn't done.

In fact, thinking about it, there are quite a few female fans who find what aldi has done is unforgivable. He has crossed the line of what most people consider to be decent behavior. I think personal integrity is important to most normal people.

For those that can ignore his actions and just listen to the music, it's just the same as saying that you shouldn't bring politics in to sport. Plenty of people have that position, it's understandable. But for someone who does think that other things matter it comes across as a cop-out.
Old 11th February 2014, 05:33 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy 40 View Post
thats funny......just before he got the very first question wrong he said he left the band in 2006......... so what was he doin in the 2yrs til he DID leave
Probably a slip of the tongue, he means he was PLANNING it from 2006. Except he forgot to tell his bandmates.
Old 11th February 2014, 05:56 PM
Super Über UBloonie

For working class boys, one of the most important rules is. . . You DON'T SH-T ON YOUR MATES. Just like you don't grass on your mates either. And aldi and astro have broken both of those fundamental laws. For anyone who understands this sort of culture it's unforgivable. Like abusing kids or mugging a pensioner. It just isn't done.

...rules of life Jimmy, always

oLdbOi

touch one y'haffa touch two
stand by whatever
Old 11th February 2014, 07:34 PM
UBloonie

I choose not to listen to the song, because it doesn't matter anymore what it sounds like. I won't be able to enjoy this music knowing he's backstabbing his old mates and brothers...his blood!
Ub40 was and still is more then the music alone to me...we share the same working class roots and they have written such outstanding meaningful lyrics!I do love the catchy bass, drums and brass on UB40's music, of course, but to me it is the whole package that makes it UB40.

The irony in this situation is that Aldi became the subject of a lot of the songs he used to sing....
Old 11th February 2014, 07:54 PM
UB40 Fan

I don't like the way those guys have gone about things, but tbh that doesn't stop me enjoying their music (when they actually make something decent that is ) ..... unless they are clearly singing about things that makes them hypocrites. The way Ali and Astro have carried on I think is out of order (and against the values of the UB40 which they now claim to be trying to defend) and I feel bad for the rest of the band the way that have been treated, but at the same time those two aren't exactly in Gary Glitter's league! Though I do understand why many people refuse to listen to them, given the values of solidarity that UB40 have always, to their credit, given such importance to.

But generally I don't think artists' behaviour generally should be held up as some sort of moral compass for the rest of us, as they're just human beings too at the end of the day.

Careful JB, the more you talk up morals the more likely it is some journalist will be rummaging through your bins looking to pin something on you mate

Last edited by hadley; 11th February 2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11th February 2014, 09:46 PM
UB40 Band Member

I hear, and agree with what you say H. Let him without sin cast the first stone and all that.

Although I'm not sure it's a moral judgement I'm making. More an observation of what is behind the different ways people have to deal with all this. I can fully understand how some people have been put off by our ex singers antics. Trust and loyalty are important ingredients, they are a big part of what makes the man. And in a team situation (like a band, or a gang) they are a basic requirement.

That's why it's such terrible thing for one team member to sell the rest of the team out. Traitors make everyone vulnerable.

If a member of a footy team is bribed to miss a penalty then that will enrage the other team members and the fans.

I fully understand that there are plenty of people who want to avoid conflict and just enjoy the music if they like it. That's ok too.

But the Gary glitter analogy is a good one.

You say "he ain't Garry glitter", and your right, there is no comparison. Except.

I don't know anyone who would happily walk into a shop and buy a Gary glitter record. So there is a point where the actions of the artist over rides the quality of the music. No matter how good the track, GG ain't having another hit any time soon.

Well aldi crossed the point of no return for lots of fans because of the way he has behaved.

Still, it's up to the individual to decide where that cut-off point is for them.
Old 11th February 2014, 10:12 PM
Super Über UBloonie

james........may i call you james?.......have you heard the 7 pence royalty cheque nugget story?

Tis golden.....

Aaaaanyway.....bostin!