Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 7th February 2014, 01:09 PM
UB40 Band Member

Nicely put Paul.

Aldi is desperate to get some kind of response in the wider media. But so far he seems to have failed.

Astro leaving didn't have much impact beyond a few web sites and a couple of airings in local media. But that's it. And every time aldi or astro tried to stick the boot into his old mates by slagging us off in the media, we sell more tickets.

Only goes to prove that old cliche "there's no such thing as bad publicity".

And it's worth pointing out that, if somebody hadn't posted this thread then even LESS people would have known about this.
Old 7th February 2014, 01:13 PM
Super Über UBloonie

the #mugs will be playing The Bearded Theory Festival , hiding under the name Ub40, they daren't come out ....so anyways...y'gotta laugh, someones posted that they'd love to hear the whole of Signing Off....fcuck me that will be a tall order for the session band and #mugs....

oLdbOi
Old 7th February 2014, 01:17 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post
Nicely put Paul.

Aldi is desperate to get some kind of response in the wider media. But so far he seems to have failed.

Astro leaving didn't have much impact beyond a few web sites and a couple of airings in local media. But that's it. And every time aldi or astro tried to stick the boot into his old mates by slagging us off in the media, we sell more tickets.

Only goes to prove that old cliche "there's no such thing as bad publicity".

And it's worth pointing out that, if somebody hadn't posted this thread then even LESS people would have known about this.
Sorry J.B, just keeping people in the loop. Its not going to harm anyone here, I think we are pretty much decided what side of the fence we are on.
Old 7th February 2014, 01:37 PM
Über UBLoonie

So according to Ali, that's the 'true sound' of UB40?

Okay bro, okay.
Old 7th February 2014, 01:39 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrClaypole View Post
Sorry J.B, just keeping people in the loop. Its not going to harm anyone here, I think we are pretty much decided what side of the fence we are on.
No probs mr C.

It's not really a criticism of you at all. Just an observation about the way aldi does his business ( such as it is). He seems to approach the same way a politician does. He spins it in the hope that he can convince the public that black is white. When he first left they spent the first couple of years trying to convince people how well his solo career was going. While he was cancelling all his shows. The gap between aldi spin and reality has been getting bigger ever since.
Old 7th February 2014, 01:39 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrClaypole View Post
Just been to the Aldi page and seen this.

"Fresh from the studio, Ali, Astro and Mickey have produced a brass-laden call out to their fans in the form of this brand new track ‘Reggae Music’. The track heralds the triumphant return of UB40 and responds to the recent dialogue between the trio and their former members, by letting the music do the talking.
This is just a sign of things to come. How about we let the fans decide?"

Sounds like fighting talk. How about calling your selves something different and stop confusing the fans??!!!
Making dig after dig, an obvious attempt to get up your collective noses, directing a shot at BT from his former friend. Making it sound like the original 5 were the ones who walked away...

My absolute disgust with these negative comments means that I cannot listen to the ex-singer's voice post-UB40 years. Instead of promoting himself and being a confident musician looking to the future, he has used it as a destructive wedge to fracture communities of friends and fans of the band. I personally cannot separate his singing voice from the actions and reactions of his speaking voice, and the verbal diarrhea that spills from his mouth. And I truly do not understand the fans that overlook his betrayal and continue to support "the voice of". I think most of them are living in the past, remembering the cheeky little fella that they saw singing in front of the best reggae band out of England. Too bad he is long gone.

I am too steamed up to continue---I hope this goes before a judge as soon as possible. He and his team need to be muzzled, fined, and publicly shamed for what they have done.

(not so)SunnyBeth
Old 7th February 2014, 03:25 PM
UB40 Fan

I have to admit I thought this heavily UB40 influenced track was quite enjoyable.

I'm surprised you guys don't seem to like it. I'd have thought it was always a compliment for an artist to have wannabes so clearly in love with the artists sound.

I don't know if they've got any decent songs written of their own or anything original to say but maybe if those guys practice really, really hard and get really good then maybe one day UB40 will let them open for them.

Would be a shame for them to end up as just a tribute act
Old 7th February 2014, 03:31 PM
UB40 Band Member

They would have to ask us REALLY REALLY nicely H. Even then . . . . .
Old 7th February 2014, 03:53 PM
UBloonie

oh dear.... I was really fired up a couple of hours ago... wa-a-ay too much coffee I'm afraid.... after enjoying some greenery (yes--gardening--uh huh) I have mellowed and my eyes are no longer blazing red.....well, maybe they are..... but not with anger...

To keep me on a more even keel I think I will offset my morning coffee with gardening from here on in...

SunnyBeth

ps--- my attitude has mellowed but my feelings stand....
Old 7th February 2014, 06:59 PM
Super Über UBloonie

The music isn't bad and the voices are good but it soon becomes obvious the lyricists are still in the real UB40.