Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 13th October 2013, 01:30 PM
UBloonie

Default BT/JB Anyone? Mystery UB40 song

Hi all, does anyone have a clear version of this or can anyone tell us a bit more about it? I remember loving this when I first heard it but for whatever reason it never saw the light of day
Old 13th October 2013, 01:54 PM
UB40 Fan

That does sound pretty good!

I'd love UB40 to release an outtakes CD, I've heard that on most albums there have been many recorded songs left off and I bet many are hidden gems.
Old 13th October 2013, 02:42 PM
UBloonie

Cover Up sessions?

maybe Joris know more.
Old 14th October 2013, 12:46 PM
UBloonie

I guess half the songs recorded for any album are omitted from the final cut. There must be some gems out there that the fans would love. There's that song Don't talk too fast I've come across. For whatever reason they don't see the light of day. I guess the band really don't think they fit into the album as a whole, the fans have to accept that. I would imagine most fans would be happy to hear the band blowing raspberries so there has to be a cut off point

Old 15th October 2013, 12:15 PM
UBloonie

I remember seeing that video on the ub40 website when Cover Up was being recorded. I was dissappointed that it didn't make the album
Old 15th October 2013, 05:56 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Yeah there were a few others aswell............Nice one very catchy.
Old 10th November 2013, 04:47 PM
I'm New here

Hi Mr Sid.

The song is called Reflecting and it was during the Cover Up Album, you can hear Ali sounding superb on it.

I have spoken to BT about it before after one of the outdoor shows many moons ago and i think he said something along the lines of, alot of tracks are laid down when a new album is put together, and simply do not make the final cut because it doesn't fit in with the feel of the rest of the album.

Other tracks are started and never finished they run out of time an go with what they have, sometimes they come back to the song and re-work it and it goes onto another album or it's released as a B-Side. Others just stay in the archives forever and never see the light of day as mentioned.

Other times they just don't like the finished version as much as they thought they would or can not finish a song a properly for example Reasons from WYFF was done originally without the Dhol Blaster but the guys weren't happy with it so added them and then the track sounded how the UB's wanted it to.

He also said if it wasn't included then there was a reason for it, whether they remember that reason or not, and they want to 100% with any track that is put out with the UB40 name. They would rather not release a track as oppossed to something they were only partially happy with.

Specifically in terms of the track in question here, BT said that it would not be re-visited as most tracks that are left the guys do not want to go back to as they want to move on with the times and work on new material. They get as far as they do with a track and thats it. Although i know they have re-visited tracks and completed them 2nd or 3rd time round like it's all in the game from 24/7 but hey thats their perogative it's their band and music.

Myself i think it's a great track and would love to see it released or made avaiable in full even if it was just to the UB site users. We might be able to ask about that.

Hope that helps.

Right i'm hardly ever on here but i might as well go and see if i can sort my profile out. I have on the UB site since it started before 2000, but according to my profile it's only been 2 1/2 years !....Charming

Cheers

Nitroid 913