Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 30th July 2013, 03:04 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondda rudie View Post
Yes Trish.Who would have thought steel guitar would work so well with reggae.
Definitely not me! LOL I thought it wouldn't work at all. I grew up with "old" country music and some Hawaiian because of my father playing the steel guitar...and although I like the sound of the guitar, I have never been a fan of country music. I was shocked to hear how fantastic it actually sounds!
Old 30th July 2013, 07:46 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
Definitely not me! LOL I thought it wouldn't work at all. I grew up with "old" country music and some Hawaiian because of my father playing the steel guitar...and although I like the sound of the guitar, I have never been a fan of country music. I was shocked to hear how fantastic it actually sounds!
There was a very successful album called "Reggae Gone Country" a few years ago that featured several prominent reggae and country artists, steel guitar and all.
Here is a clip of the Video Press Kit about the album with several tunes and commentary from various reggae and country artists & producers, etc. Well worth a look:
Old 30th July 2013, 08:13 PM
UB40 Fan

Send a message via MSN to Niggy_Dawg

[QUOTE=Baggariddim;1638309]There was a very successful album called "Reggae Gone Country" a few years ago that featured several prominent reggae and country artists, steel guitar and all.
Here is a clip of the Video Press Kit about the album with several tunes and commentary from various reggae and country artists & producers, etc. Well worth a look:

Yes that album was fantastic! It features some great steel guitar playing and the cream of modern reggae artists, certainly worth checking out
Old 30th July 2013, 09:52 PM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post
I don't really have much of a problem with that revue. I think most reggae fans appreciate that non-reggae lovers might find the style a bit repetitive. Any genre of music sounds like that from the outside. To me, heavy metal all sounds the same.

The writer is correct to say that the album doesn't stray very far from tradition. That was a conscious decision, at least from a drum and bass point of view. The whole idea was to create a reggae album out of country songs.

But they did overlook the use of steel guitar, which I've never heard on a reggae tune before. That's fairly innovative.

In the end they didn't say it was a BAD record, as was pointed out in the final paragraph. Just that it was probably too traditional for some tastes. That seems fair to me.

The record hasn't been made that EVERYONE likes.

It's a fair revue.

Surely any music writer would at least make the effort to acquaint themselves in the basics of any music he/she was writing about??
Old 31st July 2013, 12:01 AM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad View Post
Surely any music writer would at least make the effort to acquaint themselves in the basics of any music he/she was writing about??

The review isn't that bad.
Old 31st July 2013, 09:40 AM
UB40 Fan

What the Guy says in his review is true, UB40 fans will love the album regardless.

As with most things it comes down to personal taste and if you are not a fan of Reggae or Country and Western then you are not going to like this album. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and life would be boring if we all agreed with each other.

I for one love both genres and from what I have heard so far it sound great and I cannot wait for the album release.

See you guys at Weyfest in September.

And Jimmy it is review not revue lol....
Old 31st July 2013, 10:07 AM
UB40 Fan

Seems to me like the reviewer doesn't even like or have much of an interest in reggae, so how can he be qualified to scrutinize a reggae album and influence the minds of potentially thousands of people?

If JB isn't into heavy metal then it would be pretty pointless getting him to review the new Metallica album, so what's the point in this guy reviewing a UB40 album??
Old 31st July 2013, 10:47 AM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post

I love abit of steel guitar, check out this tune, this almost makes me want to cry with joy everytime I hear it.
Old 31st July 2013, 10:52 AM
UBloonie

and of course the use in this track which just makes me want to cry with how amazing pop music should be and how anodyne its becoming

Check out the lush steel when Tammy "the first lady of country" sings.
Old 31st July 2013, 11:02 AM
UBloonie

last one from me, this is bloody good too, pre dates the above Tammy Wynette song

Bill Drummond already used alot of steel on his own very rare solo album, I think some of the unused sessions may be used on this song also.

I love steel guitar and I love reagge and welcome the addition, Im really looking forward to hearing this album in full