Old 4th December 2013, 04:37 PM
UBloonie

Default Tilburg Gig report

Right then.... (reporting Live from the Hilton Skylonge in Amsterdam)

As usual when I'm on UB duty, there's always a drama.

Sat on the tarmac at Manchester Airport and get a message to say the Amsterdam show is off. Not a huge surprise considering the reports of Dunx losing his voice. Still, that evening I had a nice meal with some of the guys and some wonderful friends, oh, and a beer or 3.

Just for the record, I caught up with Dunx for a few mins and his voice was literally gone, sounded like Phillis from Corrie (for those who remember her). I seriously doubted whether or not he would sing again between now and Christmas never mind during the course of the week!

For me, the cancellation of the gig wasn't as disappointing as it was for some others who had travelled, simply because I was working Monday/Tuesday and managed to tie in both business and pleasure. That said, i was disappointed and was certain that Tilburg would be off.

To my surprise, i got a message early Tuesday afternoon to say that the show will go ahead, so I quickly changed my hotel and travel plans and jumped on the next train to Tilburg.

The gig itself was superb, RBC made an advanced plea of forgiveness to the packed out audience and everyone gave Dunx a cheer of encouragement. You could tell during the first few numbers that it wasn't perfect, but, it only sounded like he had a cold - I couldn't believe how well things were sounding.

After about 7/8 songs, his voiced seemed to have warmed up and it was business as usual - a miraculous recovery born out of determination to not let people down - nice one Dunx!

A few highlights for me (1) having Normski back, he makes such a difference vocally, musically and in terms of his sheer presence on tracks like boom shaka and easy snappin (2) Tony's efforts on DUTML, get him a mic please! (3) the new tracks which, all sounded great live and went down a treat with the audience (4) Early B's "I love mi ..............?????? cos him.......?????" on the acknowledgements in Reggae Music....

Was it the most electrifying UB40 gig I've ever been to? Probably not, but, I'll tell you want it was, a sterling effort from a team of professionals who've encountered some real shit over the last few weeks and climbed mountains to get the show on the road. To be able to put on such a performance, under the circumstances and on a school night, and have the crowed screaming out for more is a real show of class - well done lads and see you soon.

Paul
Old 4th December 2013, 05:20 PM
UBloonie

sounds to me that they have rearranged the set list to accomidate duncs fragile voice.. which is a good idea, maybe the ub's need a back up plan, in these cases, its not as if they are short of vocalists,,but...rehersal is needed..

maybe the guys should consider this for future tours,,
maybe get robin to sing a few songs he normally wont do.
or add a few of the robin/earl/norman tunes, to give duncs voice a rest during the actual show, even throw in a few instrumental numbers..
better to rearrange a set list and put on a show, than no show at all..
just a thought...
Old 4th December 2013, 05:34 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGhost-F.G.E View Post
sounds to me that they have rearranged the set list to accomidate duncs fragile voice.. which is a good idea, maybe the ub's need a back up plan, in these cases, its not as if they are short of vocalists,,but...rehersal is needed..

maybe the guys should consider this for future tours,,
maybe get robin to sing a few songs he normally wont do.
or add a few of the robin/earl/norman tunes, to give duncs voice a rest during the actual show, even throw in a few instrumental numbers..
better to rearrange a set list and put on a show, than no show at all..
just a thought...
The set list was not changed to help Duncan out. He struggled though at Steenwijk, but as ManTart so rightly said, he was greatly improved last night. So hugely proud of him. As for rearranging the setlist to help Dunc out - i imagine there was absolutely NO time to rehearse anything new in time.... what they did do was sterling. Proud of them.
Old 4th December 2013, 05:35 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickpaul.96 View Post
Right then.... (reporting Live from the Hilton Skylonge in Amsterdam)

As usual when I'm on UB duty, there's always a drama.

Sat on the tarmac at Manchester Airport and get a message to say the Amsterdam show is off. Not a huge surprise considering the reports of Dunx losing his voice. Still, that evening I had a nice meal with some of the guys and some wonderful friends, oh, and a beer or 3.

Just for the record, I caught up with Dunx for a few mins and his voice was literally gone, sounded like Phillis from Corrie (for those who remember her). I seriously doubted whether or not he would sing again between now and Christmas never mind during the course of the week!

For me, the cancellation of the gig wasn't as disappointing as it was for some others who had travelled, simply because I was working Monday/Tuesday and managed to tie in both business and pleasure. That said, i was disappointed and was certain that Tilburg would be off.

To my surprise, i got a message early Tuesday afternoon to say that the show will go ahead, so I quickly changed my hotel and travel plans and jumped on the next train to Tilburg.

The gig itself was superb, RBC made an advanced plea of forgiveness to the packed out audience and everyone gave Dunx a cheer of encouragement. You could tell during the first few numbers that it wasn't perfect, but, it only sounded like he had a cold - I couldn't believe how well things were sounding.

After about 7/8 songs, his voiced seemed to have warmed up and it was business as usual - a miraculous recovery born out of determination to not let people down - nice one Dunx!

A few highlights for me (1) having Normski back, he makes such a difference vocally, musically and in terms of his sheer presence on tracks like boom shaka and easy snappin (2) Tony's efforts on DUTML, get him a mic please! (3) the new tracks which, all sounded great live and went down a treat with the audience (4) Early B's "I love mi ..............?????? cos him.......?????" on the acknowledgements in Reggae Music....

Was it the most electrifying UB40 gig I've ever been to? Probably not, but, I'll tell you want it was, a sterling effort from a team of professionals who've encountered some real shit over the last few weeks and climbed mountains to get the show on the road. To be able to put on such a performance, under the circumstances and on a school night, and have the crowed screaming out for more is a real show of class - well done lads and see you soon.

Paul
knocked the nail firmly on the head Paul....saves me typing an essay!!!
Old 4th December 2013, 05:50 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
The set list was not changed to help Duncan out. He struggled though at Steenwijk, but as ManTart so rightly said, he was greatly improved last night. So hugely proud of him. As for rearranging the setlist to help Dunc out - i imagine there was absolutely NO time to rehearse anything new in time.... what they did do was sterling. Proud of them.
i completely understand in this situation there was no time to change anything,
but im thinking about future situations thats all,,,,.

the band have a lot of material to play around with,, and yes rehersal is needed..so therefore a plan is needed.
i just think it might be something worth thinking about.
could be intresting if during a gig they suddenly dropped present arms in dub. no one would expect it.

turn a negative into a positive...
Old 4th December 2013, 05:50 PM
Über UBLoonie

Great to read, don't know why but I'm always confident whatever happens they will always put on a great show
Old 4th December 2013, 07:15 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Nice read Paul aka man tart

love jx
Old 4th December 2013, 11:26 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Thanks Paul,great read.Well done Dunc.
Old 4th December 2013, 11:30 PM
UBloonie

Lovely summation, Paul....thanks for bringing a bit of the show to us gigless ones...

Ever upward, UB40....thank you for hanging in there! ((where's that picture of the cat hanging from a tree branch when you need it?))

Sending over some healthy energy ....

xxx sunnybeth
Old 5th December 2013, 09:50 PM
Über UBLoonie

That was a great review Mr H-Paul .....Thanks ....I am so nosey to hear news .. Glad you made the Tilburg gig so you could report all the news back .....and agree - it is great having Norman back for these gigs
Roll on March/April 2014