Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 23rd November 2013, 11:48 AM
UB40 Fan

Unhappy

This is really sad news Astro. I understand your opinion and reason and i have to respect that but still man..........you making a lot of people very sad with this terrible news
Old 23rd November 2013, 03:24 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Send a message via MSN to ~JENNY~

Gutted about Astro but ya gotta respect big mans decision. I totally agree with sting an oldboi about the new album i just can't get my head around it?? It's not exactly proper reggae is it (like some of you say). I'm not getting into a debate but i jus think the boys shoulda kept on the lines of WYFF & Homegrown (loved homegrown album) never understood how people disliked it. Listen to the lyrics of the songs. It's REAL music!!! Raw talent! Im'a miss big man toastin an doin his thaaaang. Nuff love Astro & Respect to the rest of the band. Thinking of you all x
Old 23rd November 2013, 04:09 PM
UBloonie

Melodically, I thought that GOTS was in a different league to their other albums. Particularly the original material. Rhythmically it was perhaps a bit reliant on the 'one drop' beat, but that aside I thought the album was overall actually their best for many a year.
Old 23rd November 2013, 04:14 PM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Warrior View Post
Melodically, I thought that GOTS was in a different league to their other albums. Particularly the original material. Rhythmically it was perhaps a bit reliant on the 'one drop' beat, but that aside I thought the album was overall actually their best for many a year.

Well put Kelvin - probably the best thing since WYFF..............
Old 23rd November 2013, 04:24 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Warrior View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad View Post
Well put Kelvin - probably the best thing since WYFF..............
Well said boys.Certainly light years better than Homegrown.Each to their own though.
Old 23rd November 2013, 08:58 PM
UBloonie

Sorry to hear about Astro leaving. He was a very integral part of the group since the beginning, that's for sure. I wish him the best of luck in his endeavors outside the band and I wish the band the best in the future. I personally think that Getting Over The Storm is a great album, and it really shows how diverse UB40 can be while still staying true to their roots. It reached number 29 in the charts, if I'm not mistaken, right? So it can't be as bad as some people are saying!

It simply boils down to this. Those who truly love UB40 will continue listening to their music. Those who don't will fall away. Best of luck to all involved and in what they choose to do about it!

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 24th November 2013, 02:26 AM
UB40 Fan

Send a message via MSN to sistasusan

This is very sad news, I'm totally shocked. Astro was one of my favorite performers in the band and he was one of the key vocalists. I feel that Astro's departure is really going to hurt the band. In my opinion, UB40 now is not the band that I once loved . It was a shock to me when I heard that Ali, the original singer left. I think UB40 had their best music when the original 8 members were still together.

I wish Astro the best of luck in his future.
Old 24th November 2013, 04:16 AM
UBloonie

Im shocked by this - Astro was always a key member for me - his vocal contributions over the years has lifted some already amazing songs to another level.
Im sure the rest of the band will bounce back and continue on, but it seems that there really is a storm to be getting over at the moment.
Im quite surprised about some of the choices of venues on the new tour - some are very small indeed. I get the impression the band are having to start again from scratch and build up a newer audience.

Personally I love the last album - its not country at all - but does use country sounds and themes - but through and through it is a tight reggae album. I was also abit disapointed by the lack of an Astro vocal, but I mentioned it to BT one Saturday, he said there wasnt room on the album, which was explanation enought for me, the band have to trust their own creative instincts - but im happy overall with the album.

Long live Astro, I will miss his presence on stage, but thanks for soem truly wonderful music.

Keep strong boys, my support goes on.
Old 24th November 2013, 11:22 AM
UB40 Fan

So so sad to see Astro go.
Old 25th November 2013, 11:13 PM
UBloonie

I can only compare this to my support for Manchester united , we have over the years been very successful , players have come and gone , some brilliant players , at the minute we are going through a bit of a tricky period but I have no doubts that we bounce back , will my support decline feck no , it's at times like this that you need support , best of luck UB40