UB40 Forums

UB40 Forums (http://ub40.global/forum/index.php)
-   UB40 Discussion (http://ub40.global/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   TOPIC FOR THE WEEK...9/11/2009 (http://ub40.global/forum/showthread.php?t=594389)

bt/ub40 8th November 2009 06:44 PM

TOPIC FOR THE WEEK...9/11/2009

Greetings comrades.
OK..simple topic BUT if you are really honest how many new tunes do you think we should play on the LOL tour coming up ? We are rehearsing numbers now, ITS A FACT that an audience doesn't want too many tunes they haven't heard before..They come to hear what they know, they don't mind a couple but thats about it. We have even had a bad review in the Evening Mail some years ago for playing songs the audience didn't know..well I say a review , it was a letter from a disgruntled member of the audience the actual review from the music journalist was a great one...We also realise we can't keep playing the same material to you guys..Plus the fact that LOL4 got put back till February after the tour had gone on sale the great majority of the people won't know any of the tunes.We are however rehearsing the more commercial, easily accessible songs, the ones that will hopefully have people singing along after the 1st chorus............discuss

LyricOfficer 8th November 2009 06:54 PM

I guess the way to keep it interesting yet accessible is to create the correct balance of the "usual", some new tracks and some well known but less performed previous releases (particularly from LOL series? May I suggest Come Back Darling? - Love the bass and brass!)
Perhaps 3 or 4 new tracks intersperced? I suppose there will be a frustration as LOL IV won't be available straight away but the new tracks from the Best Of LOL and a one or two choice others would be great.
Just read that back, not my most eloquent post but it makes vague sense I hope!

Version Girl 8th November 2009 06:57 PM

I would go with 4 or 5. However, if there are only 2 new tunes on the LOL compilation maybe you should do those 2 plus one extra. The extra one should keep us happy until February ;).

LyricOfficer 8th November 2009 06:58 PM

Having said that, I guess that's what you always do anyway - create a great combination of old favourites, new tracks and surprise choons - so my post is probably completely redundant!

mrfixer11 8th November 2009 06:59 PM

Difficult call Brian, as we don't know what the songs are on the new LOL4 anyway!

I would guess in a 22/23 song set 3 or 4 new songs would be OK.

If you use big screens how about kareoke type lyrics for the new ones?

Just an idea mate, in case we don't know them.

LG Arena gig is rushing towards us, see you soon.

:D :D :D

NUB40 8th November 2009 07:08 PM

There is a great choice from the LOL "series" some that have not been played for a while :? At the rainbow the list was 16 main then 3 encore so get us all going then chuck 3 new ones in at random :grin:
Even with us not knowing the songs i should imagine that in no time at all we will be having a jig to the music :wink: :D :D

Seahorse 8th November 2009 07:10 PM

The two tracks which are on the Best of........ and two additional ones would work well I think. I'm pleased to announce I've perfected my conducting for Bring it on Home. :oops: :roll: I'll have to work quickly to get it right for the additional track. :laff:

Sal 8th November 2009 07:19 PM

Re: TOPIC FOR THE WEEK...9/11/2009

Quote:

Originally Posted by bt/ub40
Greetings comrades

Not sure if I'm speaking to you at the moment :x ........Villa 5 - Bolton 1 !!!!! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But anyway......back to the topic.....I think if your going to include any new material from the LOL 4 album then it should be a couple of songs that some of the audience might already be familiar with from there younger days such as Bring It On Home (which I suspect you will have already inlcuded that in the setlist). As Duncan and Tony are both newcomers to the band, I think it would be a safer to play some of the more familiar tunes and old favourites.......just thinking that some of the audience may never have heard Duncan singing yet so maybe an idea to keep it uncomplicated. Whatever you play Brian, it will be music to my ears for me !!! :wink: :D

Version Girl 8th November 2009 07:26 PM

Good thinking that Sal.....when I 1st heard Kiss & Say Goodbye, it was in Holland. The audience sang along as they knew the words anyhow. That was followed by After Tonight, which about 6 of us sang....because we knew the song from before. :grin:

JB40 8th November 2009 07:28 PM

Re: TOPIC FOR THE WEEK...9/11/2009

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sal
Quote:

Originally Posted by bt/ub40
Greetings comrades

Not sure if I'm speaking to you at the moment :x ........Villa 5 - Bolton 1 !!!!! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But anyway......back to the topic.....I think if your going to include any new material from the LOL 4 album then it should be a couple of songs that some of the audience might already be familiar with from there younger days such as Bring It On Home (which I suspect you will have already inlcuded that in the setlist). As Duncan and Tony are both newcomers to the band, I think it would be a safer to play some of the more familiar tunes and old favourites.......just thinking that some of the audience may never have heard Duncan singing yet so maybe an idea to keep it uncomplicated. Whatever you play Brian, it will be music to my ears for me !!! :wink: :D

Only problem with that sal is that the new tracks are DUNC's tunes. So it would be good [maybe?] to do as many as possible. I've got a feeling we might have some tracks going in and out of the set. The only way of really knowing how they are going to work is to try them out on an audience. There's a possibility there will be changes after the first couple of shows. We're working on six at the moment. So there's plenty of scope for changes.