UB40 Forums

UB40 Forums (http://ub40.global/forum/index.php)
-   UB40 Discussion (http://ub40.global/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   York Review (due to popular demand) (http://ub40.global/forum/showthread.php?t=612995)

hickpaul.96 26th October 2014 11:08 AM

York Review (due to popular demand)

The grand old duke of York, he had 10,000 men…..
…and it seemed as though they had all turned out to watch UB40. The venue was superb with a large floor space for the movers & shakers and a big seating area way up high for those who assumed they’d be seated, but from about the 3rd song, there wasn’t a single bum on a single seat….

For those who did a gig(s) on the first leg of the tour earlier this year, you will already know what to expect from a set list point of view however, there were three of four changes that IMO we’re a bit of a gamble but once again, paid off.

The reason I say “gamble” is because the setlist is already filled with lesser known songs, which is great from a Loonie point of view, but you never know with the masses.

STOP READING IF YOU DON’T WANT TO KNOW WHAT THESE SONGS ARE:

From the top of my head and in no particular order…

Getting over the storm
If you ever have forever in mind UB40 if you ever have forever in mind - YouTube
Blue eyes
Midnight rider
He'll have to go
Oh America (freestyler rap)
Easy snappin
Boom shaka
Present Arms
Dream a lie UB40 Dream a lie - YouTube
Silent Witness UB40 Silent Witness - YouTube
Love is all
1 in 10
Sing our own song
RRW
Cherry oh
Kingston
Falling in love
Here I am baby
Homely girl
Higher ground
Sweet Cherie
You could meet somebody
Don't let it pass you by

Although risky, it just works. I genuinely think the real fans (not passive general followers) we’re getting sick to the back teeth of the LOL show but are now clearly delighted to be hearing the new and revived stuff. With UB getting back to basics and playing the more intermate city centre venues its attracting the real fans back in to the fold. People who appreciate music, people who appreciate showmanship, people who appreciate the history of the band. Proper fans.

So it was no surprise to hear a 3 minute continuous chant of “WE WANT MORE, WE WANT MORE” during the encore.

Regarding Dream a Lie and Silent Witness, they were just magical. We all know that Duncan sounds as close to the original “early days” UB vocal sound as is possible, so it just sounded brilliant all-round.

If you ever have forever in mind was probably my personal fave of the night. It’s a really good number live and Dunx gets to show off his vocal ability.

If I’m being super critical, I’d drop Oh America and replace it with Reggae Music or Baby….. Just felt as though Early B should and could be better received with a more popular song.

Had the usual pre-gig shenanigans with my good friends Mick & Suzy (the Yorkshire puds) and my likkle Lancashire hot-pot, Morgs (and a couple of the UB boys) and again backstage afterwards for a can of Fanta and some sponge pudding and custard (no, really!!)

Chatting after, we all agreed that something was missing from the evening, and it pains me to say it, but it was Astro…..

….he always had one of the Bose iPhone sound docks with him which came in dead handy backstage. Oh well, nothing a few hundred quid won’t fix…

See you next time (maybe tonight)…..

Man tart Paul :bigwink:

loekie 26th October 2014 12:09 PM

Great read the songs sound awesome, really looking forward to berlin x

Starshine007 26th October 2014 12:43 PM

You forgot the tw*t who kept on shouting for 'Bring me Your Cup'. There's always one :roll: Still, at least he didn't shout for RRW I suppose....

Baggariddim 26th October 2014 04:16 PM

Great Review Hickpaul!
But must admit, I really want to see Earl chatting it up on Oh America & Freestyler, love those choons!
Peace,
Bagga....

old loonie 26th October 2014 05:02 PM

cant wait

Starshine007 26th October 2014 05:09 PM

I'd love to hear Freestyler in full #dreaminagain

nephertiti 27th October 2014 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starshine007 (Post 1656764)
I'd love to hear Freestyler in full #dreaminagain

You are living the dream .....INSPIRE-UB-atedness ...:bouncegrey::bouncegrey: looks amazing ...did not expect any changes ....LOL at the Astro medey Paul x x my heart did a wee flip ....

San Diego 28th October 2014 12:41 AM

naughty, naughty Mantart!!! Somewhere out there, a lonely tambourine is crying itself to sleep..... :laff:

let's have whip around for a new Bose box, no crying over spilled milk :evil:

kmaker 28th October 2014 01:34 AM

very, very nice review P2. Great to hear from ya mate.

hickpaul.96 28th October 2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Diego (Post 1656802)
naughty, naughty Mantart!!! Somewhere out there, a lonely tambourine is crying itself to sleep..... :laff:

let's have whip around for a new Bose box, no crying over spilled milk :evil:

You're more naughty than me Fi :jester: